Beginners and Beyond

Runner shot and Killed (Read 104 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

I think someone posted it in one of my FB groups. Very sad.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

This is very disturbing and unsettling on many levels.  Reading some of the local stories makes it even more so.

Hopefully justice prevails.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, from what I read on that post I am not sure if the attacker shot her from behind or if she was stopped and saw her attacker, maybe even exchange words Sad very sad and very unsettling...... especially as I run alone Sad

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Love the Half

Holy cow!

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I would think you are no more or less likely to get shot & killed while running than while doing anything else.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True, just a little more unsettling when out running before dawn or at night alone. I actually get nervous I can hear a car coming up behind me, especially after what happened to a friend of mine.

I would think you are no more or less likely to get shot & killed while running than while doing anything else.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Love the Half

I do think though that, as runners, we routinely place ourselves in what I think of as vulnerable situations.  For a variety of reasons, runners are frequently outside when it is dark, they are by themselves, they are in areas without a high density of people, etc.  Whether or not runners are actually assaulted at a rate higher than the general population is something about which I have no idea at all.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Totally agree, and I ain't changing it either. Though I do try to mix up routes and run 50% of my runs with a group during this training plan, the other runs are with pepper spray, changing my route, being aware of my surroundings and suspicious of unusual/creepy things that are out of the ordinary. And even then, there is always a chance of something bad happening, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

I do think though that, as runners, we routinely place ourselves in what I think of as vulnerable situations.  For a variety of reasons, runners are frequently outside when it is dark, they are by themselves, they are in areas without a high density of people, etc.  Whether or not runners are actually assaulted at a rate higher than the general population is something about which I have no idea at all.

PRs

happylily

I'm ambivalent about stories like that. Of course I'm very sad for the runner. It's terrible. But I feel as if we're there combing the obituaries of the nation. It just feels strange to me. Also, it does not particularly scare me. There are random things everywhere, in every situation imaginable. Lucky are those who will die of old age in their bed...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I'm ambivalent about stories like that. Of course I'm very sad for the runner. It's terrible. But I feel as if we're there combing the obituaries of the nation. It just feels strange to me. Also, it does not particularly scare me. There are random things everywhere, in every situation imaginable. Lucky are those who will die of old age in their bed...

Yeah this was sort of my point. Nothing really special about this story to me, people get shot & killed all the time (in the US anyway, not in Canada of course). And it is always tragic. Just so happened this person was running, but doesn't make me think going running is more dangerous than doing anything else. And you don't even need to be out alone at night, we have plenty of shootings in crowded public places in broad daylight - malls, movie theaters, schools, etc.

Dave

happylily

Yeah this was sort of my point. Nothing really special about this story to me, people get shot & killed all the time (in the US anyway, not in Canada of course). And it is always tragic. Just so happened this person was running, but doesn't make me think going running is more dangerous than doing anything else. And you don't even need to be out alone at night, we have plenty of shootings in crowded public places in broad daylight - malls, movie theaters, schools, etc.

I know you have wonderful sarcasm, Dave. but you don't always have to be sarcastic with me. You can take a break once in a while. 

I know you have wonderful sarcasm, Dave. but you don't always have to be sarcastic with me. You can take a break once in a while. 

I was not really being completely sarcastic this time. Not that you never get random shootings, but certainly a lot less of them than we do. I just looked it up - firearm-related homicide rate in US is 3.6 per 100,000 population per year; in Canada it is 0.5. So about 7 times more likely in US.

Dave

happylily

I was not really being completely sarcastic this time. Not that you never get random shootings, but certainly a lot less of them than we do. I just looked it up - firearm-related homicide rate in US is 3.6 per 100,000 population per year; in Canada it is 0.5. So about 7 times more likely in US.

It's only a matter of better laws. We have guns, and some of us enjoy them, but we have strict storage and transportation laws. We do not really adhere to the idea that a gun is a mean to defend ourselves. But we probably have the same ratio of crazies here, and yes, unfortunately, they do use guns against us.