Beginners and Beyond

The Internet (Read 93 times)

LRB

...and nowadays, if I have to handwrite more than 3 lines, my wrist hurts.

I forgot to lol at this. I am so done with writing with a pen and paper, having done it so much over my career that I sometimes have to rewrite crap because I scribbled it the first time.

I was once asked to sign my name in a bank like five different times. Finally I asked for the manager because as I was trying to tell the lady, I do not write like I did on my license four or five year ago anymore!

I can clearly see the day coming when my signature is a dot. lol

Docket_Rocket

My bar exams (all of the ones I took - 3) were by computer.  There were some poor souls that didn't trust computers and took them by hand.  Sigh.  I call those dinosaurs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I used to love reading the paper until the print got smaller. I don't need reading glasses for books or magazines so am not wearing them for that plus tv viewing at the same time not worth the hassle

Yeah, they made the print smaller, that's what happened.

Dave

I had to write a fair amount of COBOL when I went back to school.  I hated it compared to the much more compact RPG and the much more modern Visual Basic.

Crazy Old Bastards' Obsolete Language, indeed.

RSX

Yeah, they made the print smaller, that's what happened.

Boston Globe and Herald both did. I don't need glasses for anything I read except ingredients or bottle directions

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Boston Globe and Herald both did. I don't need glasses for anything I read except ingredients or bottle directions

And some of those are printed so small that even with reading glasses I would need a magnifying glass.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmmm.... at home, a week I think, it was only tough because our only source of movies is our roku for amazon or netflix.

There are days where I sometimes don't bother getting on though.

You guys are my only friends  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

And some of those are printed so small that even with reading glasses I would need a magnifying glass.

Didn't RW do this and people complained? I read that at least 1 magazine reacted to criticisms and made some changes.

MothAudio

I definitely see a compulsive habit in me in regard to internet and I hate that. I see it as my weakness, my addiction. I wish I could get rid of it. I am worried about the impact that internet, and social media in general, will have on my children's lives. My son has never brought a friend home since the age of 10. All his friends now are internet friends. He does not go out ever on weekends, he's just always online. We have to drag him forcefully to attend family dinners. Even then, he needs to have his gadgets to stay connected. I do not find it healthy. Because I'm from an older generation, I can still see the difference between a real friend and an internet one. A day will come when no one will be able to tell the difference anymore and that worries me. Am I being too dramatic about it? Old-fashioned, maybe?

My oldest was like that too. Then they tweaked his meds and now he's gone from being anti-social to a socialite. He's rarely on the internet now, preferring face-to-face interaction. My 11 YO spends far too much time on this inter-active video game but he's always been able to flip his social switch when the need arises. He goes to school dances and has sleepovers. My middle son is the introvert, perfering concepts to communication.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

I can still see the difference between a real friend and an internet one. 

Your internet friends are your real friends. 

Dave