Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Margarita 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2033%20Margarita%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

BEFORE MY START

My 33rd race of 2017 was the Margarita 5K, held on May 20 in San Antonio.  This one was put on by Andiamo Race Productions (www.andiamorp.com), which does a lot of work with veterans groups, children’s causes, and so forth, and has several local events in our community. The timing and results were done by local race management company iaapweb, which also puts on some pretty good races themselves.  Race location, appropriately, since May 20 is Armed Forces Day, was VFW Post #76, the oldest VFW in Texas and considered an historic location.  The VFW sits right alongside part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Start time of 7:30 a.m., so I arrived around 6:45, got my timing chip, and then wandered around taking some photos.

I have arrived - VFW Post 10

photo 002_zpswpu5i67g.jpg

Pacer for the lead runners - which definitely was not me, lol.

photo 001_zpsnoknjfpx.jpg

Lots of room to sit, relax, get ready for the start...and nice to have all this sitting area after the race too.

photo 010_zpslozqsg4c.jpg

Riverwalk view from the VFW  ..the quiet before it became all filled up with runners and walkers...

photo 067_zps7jrzy5le.jpg

With survivor and friend, Terry

photo 008_zpstkygods9.jpg

With friend Jill.  Yes, her name is Jill, you got that right, Jack. 

photo 013_zpsy9qzattm.jpg

"show some leg!"  Okay...oh, wait...maybe they were talking to Jill.  

photo 014_zpsplwxujlt.jpg

Participants, volunteers, etc

photo 003_zps56gkcnuj.jpg

photo 004_zpsye79tn7j.jpg

photo 005_zpsigykubpc.jpg

photo 006_zpsyw2rfgdv.jpg

photo 007_zps1lzcbusk.jpg

photo 009_zpskalcyzhq.jpg

photo 011_zpstzlo1qtg.jpg

photo 012_zpsm2q4l63q.jpg

photo 015_zpsdqs2dcyu.jpg

photo 016_zpslmpp6wbv.jpg

Two arthritic people who are still out there doing the best they can - me and friend, Sandra. She is one of the most inspiring people I know.

photo 017_zpscj9lsplj.jpg

photo 018_zpsofsdr8u0.jpg

Getting ready to go....ahead of me and behind me...

photo 019_zpsfrbpiv1y.jpg

photo 020_zpsqj2anxky.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Starting at the VFW, we were release in ‘waves’ to help avoid over-crowding on the Riverwalk, where the majority of the course was.  Down the Riverwalk, then onto a paved street for a very short bit, and then back onto the Riverwalk, adjacent to the local Brackenridge Golf Course.  We went down to a turn-around, and then it was back the way we had come out, finishing up at the VFW.  Thunderstorms were predicted for Saturday night, so lots of dark cloud cover for us. It did not rain on us but it sure was very humid; dew-point somewhere in the mid-60s and temp in the low 70s. There was a lotta sweat goin’ on here!  Everyone that I saw along the way seemed to be doing okay though.  Hey, it’s Texas, and in Central and South Texas this is what we deal with for most of the year – even during some of our supposedly ‘milder’ months of the year, lol, as unlike some of the northern and panhandle parts of Texas, we hardly get any snow, ice, etc., just the occasional odd cold day or spell, which does not last too long usually. I ran, I walked, I took photos, I sweat-sweat-sweated, and I ended up with a 33:15 finish time, good enough for 2nd in my 60 – 69 age group.

photo 023_zpswrb6yng7.jpg

photo 024_zps8tbnuelq.jpg

photo 026_zpsihlybwwi.jpg

photo 027_zpsgltdgzna.jpg

photo 028_zps6jmp2cgi.jpg

photo 029_zpsttjyjkhg.jpg

I have made the turn-around now and am heading back...this is near the Brackenridge Golf Course

photo 030_zpsjmqrt8hc.jpg

photo 031_zpsnyho97e6.jpg

photo 032_zps3j52adfa.jpg

photo 033_zpsqywlj0nu.jpg

photo 034_zpsvfnxqll1.jpg

One of our course volunteers

photo 035_zps41yyoigj.jpg

photo 036_zpsad3p2mn9.jpg

photo 037_zpsykmwkipa.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, drank that – felt like pouring it on my head, lol – and got a few photos of some people coming in after me.  After that, wandered around the VFW ‘viewing area” and got more photos of happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 038_zpsixkjs0du.jpg

photo 039_zps2e1rxvod.jpg

photo 040_zps4clovycm.jpg

photo 041_zpssxj0ib3y.jpg

photo 042_zpsafdztbgv.jpg

photo 043_zpsg28x8mg1.jpg

photo 044_zps4uuajsnc.jpg

photo 045_zpsruvjezqt.jpg

photo 046_zpszjclgie5.jpg

photo 047_zpsssdmnecn.jpg

photo 048_zpsp4hlmmyc.jpg

photo 050_zpsugz7yi66.jpg

photo 051_zps5higgsbk.jpg

photo 052_zpszmp0uvzy.jpg

photo 053_zps8fbdcizj.jpg

photo 075_zps0a9i9tsw.jpg

photo 054_zps67j1ynyg.jpg

photo 055_zpshrakdrxq.jpg

photo 056_zpswnmpfah4.jpg

photo 057_zpsmckdmeh4.jpg

photo 058_zpsfr7kqbnb.jpg

photo 059_zpskkuir7ba.jpg

photo 060_zpsulyyjaqs.jpg

photo 061_zpsqnho3voc.jpg

photo 062_zpsg2vporsr.jpg

photo 063_zps2s0mmzyc.jpg

Two old guys with their finisher medals

photo 064_zpsmhatjcwq.jpg

I ran on the course with this young lady for a bit...a small bit, lol...then she left me in the dust

photo 065_zpsvniooh2v.jpg

photo 066_zpszk44mlxs.jpg

photo 068_zps4xlnyy6p.jpg

photo 069_zpsmu46vrru.jpg

photo 070_zpseddx6rfr.jpg

Me with my sistas...from Black Girls run...nice of them to make me an honorary member.  I see these lovely ladies at quite a few races over the year.  They are a really fun group too.

photo 072_zpskauhmois.jpg

photo 073_zpszjsnbrw8.jpg

photo 074_zps2pad76vc.jpg

photo 076_zpslqtq81mp.jpg

And before I went home, bid a fond adieu to the VFW, and Old Glory.  She was flying at half-mast today in our fair city in respect and remembrance for, I believe,  Scott Deem, local firefighter who was killed this week fighting a 4-alarm fire - the first loss of a firefighter in our city since, if I remember correctly, sometime in the 70s.   Two others were hurt but survived. RIP, Scott. My heart goes out to your family and your fellow firefighters who I know miss you greatly.

photo 078_zps4crwm0h9.jpg

EPILOGUE

They don’t call this Margarita 5K for nothing – lots of people in line to get a post-race margarita choice of alcoholic or non-alcoholic, which I thought was a nice touch, so the designated drivers of the “hard stuff” margarita drinkers could have a drink too.    I think next year they need to add beer too, for people like me who can’t drink the hard stuff…I like to enjoy a nice cold beer after a race.  Make a note of that, Race Director.  Wink   It was all good though.  Besides the drinks, there was also breakfast tacos, various kinds of fruit, and give-away stuff by some of the sponsors.

Mucho thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants…Andiamo Race Productions, iaapweb, all volunteers, sponsors, vendors, law enforcement, VFW for the use of their turf, etc.  Thank you so much, we runners and walkers could not enjoy these events without what all of you do for us.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I wondered about the margaritas. On a hot day, I imagine they tasted very good.