Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 41 SA Summer Series 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252041%2520SA%2520Summer%2520Series%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 41st race of 2019 was SA San Antonio Summer Series 5K on June 23 at Wheatley Heights, a sports/event complex in San Antonio.  The Summer Series 5K benefits Run SA Youth, a program, a customized running program to encourage community youth to live active lifestyles.  The program  provides free and incentivized programs to children of all backgrounds and neighborhoods, with  of free weekly meetups and then a series of low-cost entry fee 3 – 4 races in the summer.  Race start time of 7:30 a.m. – which is nice in Texas summer, wish all Race Directors that have summer races would do an early start – with packet pickup held for about an hour before start time. After I got my packet, I got a few pre-start photos.

With friends Miguel and Roy before the start

photo IMG_0545_zpsnvqdrv5w.jpg

Project Phoenix tents and their folks prepping the goodies they provided for post-race

photo IMG_0543_zpsirrhswrf.jpg

photo IMG_0546_zpsd5h6qzfv.jpg

photo IMG_0547_zpsblxlge4c.jpg

Ainsley's Angels local group.  They were volunteers today

photo IMG_0549_zpspt9zndfy.jpg

photo IMG_0550_zpsunidgdht.jpg

Various others....

photo IMG_0548_zpsgjuba0iz.jpg

My speedy friend JIm

photo IMG_0551_zpslry3scpi.jpg

Three old guys....me, Jim, and Albert

photo IMG_0553_zpszwhde1dq.jpg

photo IMG_0554_zpskdf63htn.jpg

photo IMG_0556_zpsagpwtnwq.jpg

photo IMG_0557_zpsvshherze.jpg

photo IMG_0552_zpsew0f1ofs.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_0558_zpsmffvtxw6.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was a nicely laid-out course that did not do the usual start that is done at this park on the sports complex track and then going out to  some off-road trails.  Instead we went out the back gate behind the stadium bleachers, then through the parking lot, onto an adjacent road and then into nearby Martin Luther King Park, where we did an out-and-back on its paved off-road running trails. After coming out of the park we did a small loop that took us back to the Wheatley Heights parking area and then finished up the way we had started out.  Weather was pretty humid and temps already heading to the 80s, but we had lots of dark clouds above, threatening rain but it never happened.  Right before I made the final little trek in the parking lot to the finish line, I saw a police officer on a 4-wheeler coming down a trail to me left, and jokingly stuck out a hitchhiker thumb.  He laughed and called out “Can’t give you ride, but if you run fast enough I can give you a speeding ticket.”   Lol.  It was warm but not ‘stifling’. The course was a tad short, but I don’t think anyone really minded.  I ended up with 33 minutes and change, and was 4th in my age group.  The first guy in my age group (60 +) did a very speedy 22 minutes., jeez, one speedy senior citizen for sure.

On the trails in Martin Luther King Park

photo IMG_0560_zpsfcecozih.jpg

photo IMG_0561_zpsw2otbtvg.jpg

photo IMG_0562_zpswsgqd50m.jpg

1-miile mark and course water station.  Speedy guy on the left is already heading to the finish.

photo IMG_0563_zpssyai1ntl.jpg

photo IMG_0564_zpsbdx8y1np.jpg

Thanks, Ainsley's Angels!

photo IMG_0565_zpsagp5hq5w.jpg

photo IMG_0566_zpsfbmtbly2.jpg

Jim heading to the finish

photo IMG_0567_zpsjy3rcqpf.jpg

Now I am finally heading to the finish

photo IMG_0568_zpshovwzguu.jpg

photo IMG_0569_zpsdf7gtbk6.jpg

photo IMG_0571_zpsxaelmuhm.jpg

photo IMG_0572_zpsqrgtfhhu.jpg

Loved seeing this kid out there.  Was in his and his Dad's proximity for most of the first 2 miles of the race before I finally took off nonstop running for the finish.  His Dad was right there with him all the way, giving him good coaching, being very patient and encouraging, and the little runner made it all the way in good order.

photo IMG_0573_zpsdxklvcdv.jpg

photo IMG_0574_zpspmhwj5vl.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop to the finish.  My speedy friends Albert and Jim were already done by the time i got back. 

AFTER MY FINISH

Sipped a nice cold bottle of water and got a couple of photos of people finishing after me.  Then got some goodies – local community group Project Phoenix  provided food plates that had some type of rice, brisket, and other stuff; and there was also a wide variety of fruits and also cold watermelon slices, nice – and wandered around eating and getting some after photos.

photo IMG_0575_zpsulurddmo.jpg

photo IMG_0576_zpsknmjeqr8.jpg

Kristine checking the times and doing results as people are coming in

photo IMG_0577_zpscvnfmfha.jpg

The lovely little lady that handed us our iced-watered down towels as we crossed the finish line.  Thank you, sweetie!

photo IMG_0578_zps58vpyp2b.jpg

photo IMG_0579_zpsq4llgant.jpg

Oops, no time for another photo, she had to go hand another towel to a finishing runner

photo IMG_0580_zpskqhveibt.jpg

Bernadette with 3 goof-balls, lol

photo IMG_0586_zpsjwnkj4ra.jpg

With co-race Director Erik (Kristine was the other co-director)

photo IMG_0582_zpsmpssybu2.jpg

Gabby is THE BOSS of this event and the race series

photo IMG_0588_zpswui2culq.jpg

The put these ladies in custody so they could not escape food duty   

photo IMG_0589_zpst2j3yrgl.jpg

Thanks, Project Phoenix folks!  photo IMG_0593_zpskmkprah5.jpg

Thanks for the music,  Sound Wizard....

photo IMG_0590_zps5xt9coht.jpg

Thanks, Ainsley's Angels!

photo IMG_0597_zpsptraugms.jpg

Age group awards waiting to be handed out

photo IMG_0591_zpsemckbdm6.jpg

Happy finishers, etc....

photo IMG_0583_zpsj8szec8q.jpg

photo IMG_0584_zps9flvh4ik.jpg

photo IMG_0594_zpsvejggedj.jpg

photo IMG_0595_zpskel0kjww.jpg

photo IMG_0596_zpsyqw16add.jpg

photo IMG_0599_zpsmeapdblh.jpg

photo IMG_0600_zpshwujwycm.jpg

3rd place for Bernadette

photo IMG_0601_zps2zx3qvcj.jpg

3rd place for Jim in our age group.  Our friend Albert was 2nd.

photo IMG_0602_zps9hnt9xiy.jpg

EPILOGUE

The Summer Series 5K is done very well – I think this is their 3rd year, but I may be mistaken in that – and usually has fairly nice turn-outs for their events.  You also have lots of options, you can register for all the series races at a discounted price or you can just register for them individually and the price is still very low-cost. The races are held in some of the most popular local parks, so some nice running or walking, whatever your choice is, on some nicely done paved trails and park roads.    Nicely done and unique age group awards.  No free race shirts, but a series shirt can be bought for $10 with the proceeds helping to support this good cause.  I’ve done these events in the past and hopefully will continue to do them in the future if enough support can be found to continue holding this series.  It really is a good program and hopefully the organizers can find a major sponsor or two that will help them continue on for many years.

Mucho thanks to all the people and the organizations that make this one happen for we participants, including e-dragon tees/e-dragon productions and the Burciaga family; Project Phoenix for lots of post-race goodies; all the volunteers and law enforcement folks out there for us; and, of course – and thanks to Ainsley’s Anges for doing the water stop - and, all the sponsors that support this good cause.  Also thanks to anyone I missed or did not mention here. Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt