Beginners and Beyond

2014 Banished Words (Read 133 times)

happylily

Read the link & it will address your concerns.

But do we really need to find out what it means? I think HopesMom and I are disenchanted enough as it is...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

But do we really need to find out what it means? I think HopesMom and I are disenchanted enough as it is...

Sigh. OK if it is too much trouble, I will cut & paste for you.

T-BONE This common way of describing an automobile collision has now made it from conversation into the news reports. While the accident's layout does, indeed, resemble its namesake cut of beef, we'd prefer to dispense with the collateral imagery and enjoy a great steak.

SPORTS: ADVERSITY Heard often in the world of football.

"Facing adversity is working 50 hours a week and still struggling to feed your kids. Facing third and fifteen without your best receiver with tens of millions in the bank, is not."

Dave

SheCan

Although the launch of Obamacare prompted predictions of a health care apocalypse from the Intellectually bankrupt and partisanship on steroids chattering classes in the Twittersphere, Obama's fan base of Mister Moms's responded with plenty of selfies enrolling in plans for the first time.  See #Igothealthcare.  Despite all of his efforts nearly being T-boned by the problematic rollout in October, President Obama essentially twerked at the Republican doomsayers predicting a  doctor-ageddon of physicians leaving the profession in response.

Beautiful!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

happylily

Thank you.  It wasn't as bad as I thought. Were those two words used often in 2013 in those contexts? I had never heard them like that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I would like to see the elimination all words using the "gate" suffix that are used to name a news scandal.  As a sports fan, this is becoming increasingly irritating.  Spygate, Bountygate, Tattoogate, etc etc.  STOP IT.

<3

I would like to see the elimination all words using the "gate" suffix that are used to name a news scandal.  As a sports fan, this is becoming increasingly irritating.  Spygate, Bountygate, Tattoogate, etc etc.  STOP IT.

Funny, that is exactly what I thought of when I saw -ageddon & -pocalypse. Makes no sense - of course originated from Watergate, but that had nothing to do with water.

Dave

Singer who runs a smidge

Sigh. OK if it is too much trouble, I will cut & paste for you.

T-BONE This common way of describing an automobile collision has now made it from conversation into the news reports. While the accident's layout does, indeed, resemble its namesake cut of beef, we'd prefer to dispense with the collateral imagery and enjoy a great steak.

"Facing adversity is working 50 hours a week and still struggling to feed your kids. Facing third and fifteen without your best receiver with tens of millions in the bank, is not."

Thank you, DaveP!  Apparently these don't bug me because I don't watch the news or football.  Maybe I could write a whole new sketch titled "You Might Be A Hermit If ..."

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

+1.  With the Watergate scandal almost 40 years in the rear-view mirror, it is becoming an anachronism as well.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Thank you.  It wasn't as bad as I thought. Were those two words used often in 2013 in those contexts? I had never heard them like that.

Well I have no idea why they picked T-Bone.

But if you do not understand the other one, you don't watch enough sports. Because they are always overdramatizing everything, like it is life or death. Not just "adversity", but football is always reported like they are on a battlefield - words like bravery, courage, heroism, warriors, etc. are liberally thrown around.

Dave

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Meh, seems like reaching pretty for something to be indignant about. Taking it way too literally, IMO. In the context of a football game, not having your best player IS a form of adversity. It's always a matter of context/perspective. Someone living under a bridge in NYC when it's 10 below would laugh at Mr. 50 hours a week's "adversity". Like when someone calls a football player a "warrior" or whatever. they're not literally comparing him to the troops in Afghanistan dodging IEDs and getting shot at all day. It's called a figure of speech.

Love the Half

The only one that seriously irritates me is the overuse of "warrior."  You are not a warrior because you completed some bullshit contest.  This guy is a warrior.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

The only one that seriously irritates me is the overuse of "warrior."  You are not a warrior because you completed some bullshit contest.  This guy is a warrior.

See my post above. Can we really not use words like warrior or bravery or courage, etc unless we're talking about literal life and death situations? Is our definition of words really that narrow?  And for the record I have been in actual for real battles where people actually died. I don't get my panties in a wad if some announcer calls a football player brave or a warrior.

#artbydmcbride

And marathon!  Everything is a marathon...a Duck Dynasty marathon, a Toyota sale marathon, knitting marathon, a 5K marathon...just stop it!

Runners run

TxDiverMom

I never want to hear the word twerking again... I don't care about the other words, Although selfie  has a connotation of ridiculous in my mind, so goodbye selfie as well.

Hearing it is bad enough, but even more than that...I don't want to SEE it!!!

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Yes please. Nothing says "I need a clever name for this scandal but I'm too lazy to put any thought into it whatsoever" like slapping -Gate on the end of something.