Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins slide into the weekend! (Read 27 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 miles done with negative splits.  Have a great weekend, Peeps !!!

SheCan

Morning penguins!

Awood-- Great job getting your 4 fast miles this morning.  Its nice to get em outta the way when it's cool.

Scotty-- hey you!  Boy you are going to be busy with that whirlwind trip.  I hope your family has a peaceful, good get-together, and everyone finds closure.  Enjoy your half day!

Kristin-- thanks, happy Friday to you, too!  Good luck with your race tomorrow.

Margo-- Awwwwhh @ waking up to the sound of rain and deciding to sleep in a bit longer.  Sounds nice!  Too bad it wasn't your day off.  Enjoy your mountain-get-away with your kids this weekend!

Jerry-- hi ya!  Have a nice run today!

Jimmy-- I had to look up that "white chocolate wonderful."  Wowsers, that sounds delicious.  I may have to never try it, just because of that!  Hope you find out what's buggin your puppy!

Docket-- have fun, have fun!  I'm still freaking jealous!  Big grin    LMAO@ Scotty's advice to you!  Hopefully you'll see her during the 2nd half of the marathon.

Baconista-- That after work run sounds like a really great activity.  Great job on the 3 miles, and on keeping your motivation up.

Ginny-- enjoy your weekend away seeing the family!   Hope you have some beautiful weather.   From yesterday, you asked why I was going to Colorado Springs, it's because my DH will be working there, and I'm tagging along to get a break from the heat here.  So it'll be a vacation for me.  I hate to sound selfish, but I really hope they get the fires under control before then--- though for the people that live there too, and to stop the destruction, not just my trip.

Coralie-- ugh!!!!  I don't blame ya!  Hope you learn to love the TM.  I guess some people do.

zelanie-- you really are being patient with the knee.  I sure hope it pays off.  Walking on it doesn't seem to hurt ever, does it?

I got in 7 this morning.  It was warm, but doing fewer miles, with a bit of a breeze made it tolerable.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: I don't like the hard stuff so instead, I will have some beer.

She Can: I bet you do all your runs early now. Jeeesh, it must be hot there.

Awood: you are a beast! I am looking forward to seeing how you do in your races.

kristin: You will be great tomorrow... just go out and have fun with it.

PF: That sounds like a nice weekend.

Jerry: "Sleeping Runner"  lol.   That sounds like a good t-shirt.

Docket: Where are you now?

JBJ: Enjoy the run and good luck with the chiro.

Bacon: I just had a bacon and egg burrito for breakfast!

Ginny: "Wandering" is a great way to see new stuff. We love it!

Coralie: Holy cow that is HOT!!!

Zel: Good work. It sounds like you will just have to take it slow for some time.

I did 4.4 miles at an 8:38 pace and it was nice. DW did 3 with a friend and now we are off to San Diego to pick up DS. He is finishing finals today and is coming home for the summer. Smile

Dad on the run.

Scotty - Don't have time. have to take the dog to the vet after the chiro then we are going out to eat with my parents for Father's Day after the vet. So will have to run in the blazing heat... yippee!

Ginny - I swapped formula on their dog food and I am going to start giving him the fish oil pills again. Last time I did that It really seemed to help with the skin. We give him benedryl now and it seems to help but he acts all drugged out Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Sloooow.

The company my partner works for just lost their biggest government contract due to Army furloughs, so he is completely freaking out that he will lose his job soon. I found myself dwelling too much on it during my run, so I cut short at 2 miles. I might go for mini doubles today if I cheer up later.

Kristin- Nothing wrong with a good bagel! Excited to hear how your race goes.

Baconista- Congrats on the straight run!

Cherie- Good work on the 7 miles! I love the treadmill too much. I always want to aim to get out once a week, but the lowest temperature (even at night) for the next week is 78. I just don't tolerate the heat well at all.

SheCan

Jack-- Good job getting the miles in before your trip.  BTW, how many kids and do you have anyway?  Your life just sounds so busy going from one kid to the next.  And yes, its pretty warm here, Jack.  I keep trying to get around early, unfortunately most the time, it's not early enough.

Coralie-- well it's good that you really enjoy the TM.  I don't think you can like it too much can you?   Some people are very successful at their races by simply doing all their training runs on one.  Personally, I think people should do the activities they most enjoy, that way they're more likely to stick with it.  I'm awful with the heat also.  I'm a little person, and tend to get overheated really quickly if I'm not careful.  You, however, are not dealing with just the heat.  I'm sure the humidity in Louisiana is unGodly.  It's good that you have the TM for sure.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: lol! We have three; 19, 16, and 12. Yes, they keep us busy but they're only kids once. DW and wouldn't have it any other way and it will be bittersweet when these days are over. Heck, if it weren't for our 16 year old DD, I would not even be running! Smile

Docket_Rocket

You are the only place worse than Miami.  Well, except PR that win above both. Bah.

About to hit the treadmill, I don't think I will be running outside much anytime soon.

Heat Index: 107 °F

Dew Point: 80 °F

Surprised

Edit: The copy/paste did weird formatting things

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jack, I am in SF.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

She Can: lol! We have three; 19, 16, and 12. Yes, they keep us busy but they're only kids once. DW and wouldn't have it any other way and it will be bittersweet when these days are over. Heck, if it weren't for our 16 year old DD, I would not even be running! Smile

Such busy ages!  No wonder your life is hectic.  The others will be glad to have big brother home I'm sure.  Did you DD encourage you all to run with her?  My son asked me to run with him shortly after I'd stopped smoking.  Five years later I still run, but he doesn't Cry.

Cherie

GinnyinPA

Cherie - funny how that works.  I started running when a group on another forum started c25k.  I was the only one who finished.  The first time I quit smoking, it was with other people.  Two months later, I was the only one who was still not smoking.  Unfortunately, I started again six months later.  It took another two years for me to quit for good.  Good job on the seven in the heat.

Bin - I hope your vacation and race go well.

Coralie - I would be on the TM all the time too if I lived in your heat and humidity.  I'm trying to get used to 80 degrees, and that's hard enough.

Jack - hope the drive south goes smoothly.

Zelanie - enjoy your walk.  It helps strengthen the legs too, which should help the knee.

I ended up running a dirt road in the state forest for 4 miles.  1.5 uphill 350', then 2.5 downhill 630'.  Definitely negative splits on that one!  Nicest part was the cool shade of the hemlocks.  Now it's time to mow the lawn.

Amazonian Princess

Jack, I am in SF.

Welcome to Northern California! Your tie dye, patchouli, and Moon Goddess harmonizing crystals are ready when you are Wink

I can. I will. I am. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks for all the kind words.

Good luck to all the racing penguins this weekend.

Mitch, I'm glad the puppy is doing better.

I'll try to pop back in later.  Sorry for the short post.  I've been reading posts on my phone all day, and just got a few minutes at the computer.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Ginny- Glad you had a nice run!  Walking/hiking hasn't bothered my knee at all except for the first few days when I went from not running at all to those first 2-mile runs, and then took a long hike with hills the same day.  I could feel it on the hills.  But I was really encouraged that the next day I always felt fine.

Bin Running

Waiting for my plane to Bali. Nervous as the hill will surely whip my ass. Friend who is running with him DNS due to hamstring injuries. Have to tough it up

Ginny, thanks!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar