Beginners and Beyond

article on S.A.D. from iRunFar (Read 95 times)

Luke79

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/02/seasonal-affective-disorder-and-the-power-of-positive-self-talk.html

I thought some of you might find this interesting/helpful, since it came up recently in another thread.

Docket_Rocket

I bet you the amount of people with depression symptoms increases in the Winter.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

fo sho.  I definitely feel like my ability to harness positive energy decreases in the winter months due to a decrease in daylight and the fact that I tend to "hermit out" to avoid the cold.  I'm sure that's common.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm also pretty much a hermit, aside from running.  I can't be bothered to go out for drinks or something, and put on nice clothes (layers of nice clothes, that is) and go out in the cold, salt, slush, and grayness.  I also feel crankier and more moody in the winter.  I sort of feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread currently!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Luke79

I'm also pretty much a hermit, aside from running.  I can't be bothered to go out for drinks or something, and put on nice clothes (layers of nice clothes, that is) and go out in the cold, salt, slush, and grayness.  I also feel crankier and more moody in the winter.  I sort of feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread currently!

I don't remember where you live MJ, but here spring is right around the corner.  So is daylight savings time, YAY!  Hang on, if only by a thread Smile

MrNamtor

i didn't think i had S.A.D. but last weekend i went to Miami and man! I felt great! Really really uplifted and my mood was incredible.

MrNamtor

fo sho.  I definitely feel like my ability to harness positive energy decreases in the winter months due to a decrease in daylight and the fact that I tend to "hermit out" to avoid the cold.  I'm sure that's common.

I go out in the cold all the time, and it helps. But still I have what's probably a low level of depression in the cold months. Probably my least favorite time of year is the end of summer.

RSX

Running and working out keeps me off meds. I went through a # of them for 5 years, and noticed I do better when I can work out. My step-daughter has found that light therapy helps her during the winter.

I get it really bad, despite meds and a therapy light.  It's been worsened by injury and not being able to run.  It gets so bad that it negatively affects my marriage.  It's more than just a little moody.  I also take a multivitamin that has 2000iu vitamin D.  Plus I take an additional 2000 of just vitamin D.  For me, there seems to be no cure.

I may be slow but I never quit.