Beginners and Beyond

Ladies: Athletic Amenorrhea? (Read 162 times)

Docket_Rocket

It did say ladies in the title, so you were warned.... Wink

Y'all need a ladies only group Roll eyes

Cool

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Get well Banshee! I am OUT of here. Wink

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Trail Monster

I could post this in the sub-4 group Roll!

Its official.... Not pregnant. I've done 5 marathons and 6 ultras without being late so I don't think the race was the issue even with 2,000 feet of gain. Blah...

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Pregnancy is the obvious answer that springs to mind....but if you say no way then I'm not sure.

I've been on the pill for 9 years, but before tgat my periods were crazzzzzy  irregular and any change would set it off.  Exercise, stress, sleep  changes, schedule changes, diet changes..... for example when I was in middle and high school I never ONCE got it in the summer. I think the complete change of routine threw my cycle so out of whack it couldn't adjust. Has your cycle ever been sensitive before to these types of thingsin the past? And have you had any otber changes in schedule or stress level lately? Even in a positive way like more free time or less stress?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

notimeforthat

Banshee,

You need to see your OB/Gyn or PCP and have them draw a hormone panel (LH, FSH, TSH, T3, Free T4, prolactin). Amenorrhea can be caused by cycles where you don't ovulate and it may be that you are having anovulatory or oligoovulatory cycles. It is not a big deal unless you are trying to get pregnant, then it can present a problem (obviously).

I had issues with this and was having oligoovulatory cycles (your PCP will have you keep menstrual calendars for a few months and can easily tell if something is up). The biggest issue was that it took over a year to get pregnant with our first, but the subsequent kids were not an issue.

BCP can help regulate some of those issues, but check with your PCP or OB/Gyn.

No more marathons

How sad is it that I read all of this?

Even googled diva cup.

Not sure I can sleep now.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Don't worry.  The first time I heard about it, I went sleepless too.

How sad is it that I read all of this?

Even googled diva cup.

Not sure I can sleep now.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

No more marathons

Don't worry.  The first time I heard about it, I went sleepless too.

LOL - good night Damaris.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Zelanie

Um, I've decided not to worry about it so far since I have a Mirena.  But I used to get periods even with the Mirena.  Figured I'd mention it at my next Dr. visit, until then just enjoying the time off!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I didn't know what athletic amenorrhea was, but have a lot of respect for Banshee as a runner and was worried.  So, I clicked this thread.  I have nothing to contribute accept that my fiance is a huge Diva Cup advocate.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Sloooow.

I didn't know what athletic amenorrhea was, but have a lot of respect for Banshee as a runner and was worried.  So, I clicked this thread.  I have nothing to contribute accept that my fiance is a huge Diva Cup advocate.

I've heard lots about it, something to think about. I'm experiencing amenorrhea, but mine is from breastfeeding. Not had a period since 2007. I hope you get some answers from your OB/GYN, Banshee.

MrNamtor

Get well Banshee! I am OUT of here. Wink

Guess they don't have a "runs out screaming" emoticon.

Ball of Fury

Banshee, after I lost almost 70 pound in 6-7 months, I stopped having periods for about 6 months or so.  I did go to my Ob-Gyn and my female hormone levels were almost non-existent, so I wasn't ovulating.  He wasn't super worried about it, but it can cause early bone loss and osteoporosis (which runs in my family anyway) so we decided to try progesterone to see if it would come back.  Well, four days of that and I turned into a complete nut job (as opposed to the partial nut job that I currently am)!  So, I stopped that and just did birth control pills for a couple months.  That worked and I was able to stop taking them and continue to have regular cycles.  Even though I wasn't underweight when my cycles stopped, my Ob thought the dramatic change in weight plus intense exercise was enough to cause amenorrhea.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Little Blue

How old are you?  Could it be early onset?

happylily

How old are you?  Could it be early onset?

Early onset of what??? WTH are you talking about, Little Blue? SHUT UP!

Big grin The Banshee is too young I believe.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010