Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 6: San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo Stampede 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.   J

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%206%20Stock%20Show%20Rodeo%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 6th race of 2019, held on Feb 2, was the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Stampede 5K. This was a prequel event of the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, which includes rodeo performances, concert performances by various music artists, carnival, rides, booths, food and much more, running from Feb 7 – Feb 25th 2019.  The Stock Show and Rodeo raises scholarship funds for students and the event raises quite a bit of money too.  Start time was around 9:30 a.m., with a kids walk around 8:30 a.m. and then walkers started about 15 minutes before the runners did. Race locale was downtown San Antonio by the historic La Villita area and the Tower of the Americas, originally built for the 1968 San Antonio World’s Fair. Weather was overcast, with a bit of drizzle, but not much at all, and a temp of 62 degrees at start time and some humidity that caused some fog and mist and low cloud cover.   I arrived with about an hour to go and got a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_2049_zpsufdjxwek.jpg

photo IMG_2060_zpsqnu2uhhk.jpg

The main area for most of the activities - around the historic La Vilita area

photo IMG_2102_zpsrdbvwrkk.jpg

photo IMG_2061_zpsbhluxmuh.jpg

Chuck wagons onsite and those that wanted it could get a Cowboy Breakfast

photo IMG_2043_zpsgsave87n.jpg

photo IMG_2046_zpspbvzts0n.jpg

Got a photo with these guys...

photo IMG_2044_zpscq3hu4fu.jpg

One guy told us all to look up, so we did.  Someone asked what we were all looking at.  I said "The original Alamo fighters in Heaven."  

photo IMG_2045_zpsobdjsai6.jpg

Chip volunteers, handing out the timing chips

photo IMG_2048_zps6yolpior.jpg

Various

photo IMG_2050_zpshlvn54vi.jpg

photo IMG_2051_zpseqpbnb1d.jpg

photo IMG_2053_zpsmebaefuz.jpg

This was a group of young dancers

photo IMG_2055_zpsocf8c5qj.jpg

photo IMG_2056_zpstzppni2m.jpg

photo IMG_2057_zps00yk3rvg.jpg

photo IMG_2058_zps8em8wsaw.jpg

photo IMG_2059_zpsdk8kl9ai.jpg

With friend Debbie

photo IMG_2063_zpsm68h2q8g.jpg

Our 'starting pen' was right next to the Magic Theater, a venue for kids shows, plays, etc.

photo IMG_2064_zpsrrtkufll.jpg

Inside the starting pen...this is also where we finished

photo IMG_2065_zpse5gaja9g.jpg

photo IMG_2066_zpsyncpdkz6.jpg

photo IMG_2067_zpszls0fsf3.jpg

photo IMG_2069_zpsqrqor8gw.jpg

photo IMG_2070_zpszyzgdr9r.jpg

photo IMG_2072_zpsa4fykzoj.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Participants were actually put in a cattle pen, lol, and the gate closed until the start….so we MOOOOVED around a bit in the pen, keeping our legs, etc, warmed up until it was time to go.   Walkers started 15 minutes before and then off we runners went.  Route was down Alamo Street, past The Alamo, then a turn onto Houston Street where we went down to a turn-round point.  Back up Houston Street, onto Alamo Street again and then to HemisFair Park where we ran in the park and did a lap around the Tower of the Americas.  After that, back to the park entrance, left turn and right to the finish.  I ended up with 33:32 chip time, 4th in my age group.

On Alamo Street in front of The Alamo

photo IMG_2073_zpspz9pogkm.jpg

Going down Houston Street, toward Santa Rosa Blvd.  My speedy young friend here, Andrew, was first overall.  He runs a 6-something minute mile.

photo IMG_2074_zps4mfhtaqx.jpg

Going down Houston Street.  I am on the left side right now, heading to the turn-round point

photo IMG_2075_zpses85u5ya.jpg

photo IMG_2076_zpsdovelfk8.jpg

photo IMG_2077_zpszkovklvn.jpg

photo IMG_2078_zps9g6gs082.jpg

photo IMG_2079_zpsxabm5qid.jpg

photo IMG_2080_zpstllib66o.jpg

Made the turn-round, heading back toward Alamo Street

photo IMG_2081_zpsssnunrpz.jpg

That tall building ahead used to be where our local FBI office was.   They have since moved to better and lots more secure headquarters.  It's pretty much now just administrative offices for various businesses. One thing has not changed though, since I've lived in San Antonio...the building always flies the Texas flag.

photo IMG_2088_zpsbefuiwjj.jpg

photo IMG_2082_zpsgoxkqbh8.jpg

photo IMG_2083_zpsaozcvkds.jpg

photo IMG_2084_zpsjzxgwimi.jpg

photo IMG_2085_zpshhr6zkey.jpg

photo IMG_2086_zps1jhscr6e.jpg

photo IMG_2087_zpsz4wqzfmf.jpg

Doing a lap in HemisFair Park, where Tower of the Americas is located

photo IMG_2089_zpsmsvp3np9.jpg

With the crazy weather, the top of the Tower was kind of socked in

photo IMG_2099_zpsxzjgznml.jpg

photo IMG_2100_zps5wemfuxe.jpg

photo IMG_2101_zpscxoj902a.jpg

Our timer from local race management comany iaap, greeting us all as we came back to the pen.

photo IMG_2090_zps4hgdhfxz.jpg

I ended up 4th in my age group.

photo IMG_2114_zpsid1p7kyr.jpg

Got my finisher medal.  The organizers had it going, lol, making sure they got their timing chips back.  You took the timing chip back to one of the volunteers and then you got your medal.  No chip...no medal.

photo IMG_2098_zpsjjdhh0gd.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, did a little cool-down walk, then turned in my chip and got a finisher medal.  Everyone got a finisher medal.  I got some of the offered refreshments and then wandered around getting some various photos.

photo IMG_2091_zpsorrdktqi.jpg

photo IMG_2092_zpslugywzk1.jpg

photo IMG_2093_zpsifm2di5s.jpg

photo IMG_2094_zpsrlmvkzr8.jpg

photo IMG_2095_zpsgohgqmnb.jpg

With new friend "Jeff", one of the local officers out there for us, and also a military vet

and we are both cancer survivors too.  We have a very nice chat about our various experiences. Super nice guy.  photo IMG_2097_zps52mrvzou.jpg

Jeff and a fellow officer. Thanks to you and all the officers who were out there for us.

photo IMG_2115_zpsn2uzgwkx.jpg

photo IMG_2103_zpszrt3n0ur.jpg

photo IMG_2105_zps8iaehppg.jpg

photo IMG_2107_zpshv0ayqcs.jpg

photo IMG_2108_zpshuvwuure.jpg

photo IMG_2109_zpslogckgil.jpg

photo IMG_2110_zps8t2on39x.jpg

photo IMG_2111_zpsnjhgs1k6.jpg

photo IMG_2113_zpsc9t13mhm.jpg

A while after the finish, Alamo Street was cleared and the 'cattle drive' began....with Longhorns being herded down the street and right into the pen we runners had started and finished in....nice touch, lol. 

photo IMG_2116_zpsyts3fltm.jpg

photo IMG_2117_zps5ajemryk.jpg

photo IMG_2118_zpsjzss2uif.jpg

photo IMG_2119_zpsvodzj3qr.jpg

photo IMG_2120_zpszuliqsg0.jpg

photo IMG_2121_zpsbdj5bjq4.jpg

photo IMG_2122_zpsnbvdbnce.jpg

photo IMG_2123_zpsmvptaps3.jpg

EPILOGUE

A few years back this event used to be a 4-miler that ended at the AT&T Center – home of the NBA San Antonio Spurs – where the main ground of the Stock Show and Rodeo are located.  It had not been held for a few years, but last year this event started again with a downtown San Antonio course.  Very well thought out course, with lots of people cheering you on as you go, since this is the heart of downtown, and takes in The Alamo, Hemisfair Park, and the Tower of the Americas.  Nice after-party in Historic La Villita area, with beer and other types of drinks, sausage wraps, and various music entertainers playing for the participants, visitors, etc.    The ‘cattle drive’ was pretty interesting too. Race shirts are really nice quality tech tee shirts, and the goodie bags included a pair of steer “horns” to wear if you so chose – I ended up giving mine to a young kid – and also tickets for free entry to the stock show and rodeo grounds on various days. Nice swag in the bag.  There were about 240 finishers for the 5K and about 20 that did the 1-mile walk.  I really enjoyed doing this one, would do it again, and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for we participants; all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, et al who were out there for us. I believe there was an official photographer there too, taking photos. Thank you all for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Nice to have the downtown streets closed for the race. Looks like a good one. Of course, if they'd set the longhorns to follow you, everyone would get a PR. I'd run fast to stay ahead of those horns!