Beginners and Beyond

Colon Cancer 4M...RR with lots of pics! (UPDATE.. more pics at the end of original post) (Read 90 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

On Sunday, April 7th, 2013, I ran the NYRR Colon Cancer Challenge 4 Mile race in Central Park.

Yesterday I ran a 5K all out with a huge PR, so I knew that today’s race would likely not be “race effort,” as I have never run 2 back-to-back races before.  I was ok with that. (RR for yesterday's race: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/23ebe09e7927430dac9875f7f5a09621/0)

Short Version: Finished in 44:46, did not run "all out" but am very pleased with my race, and have a new 4 mile PR.

Goals:

I was hoping to at least PR, which shouldn’t have been hard at all because the only other 4M race I have run was in February, and I ran it as a training run and used the first mile as a warm-up…walking and lightly jogging most of it, and then running easy from there. So my PR was 47:39 which I hoped to easily break unless something went horribly wrong.

So other than that, I did not have a time goal. BUT how is THIS for accurate predictions: my parents were coming in from Jersey to watch me race and then spend time with me after, so I was on the phone with my mom last night, and I told her this verbatim: “I expect to finish between 40 and 45 minutes, but probably closer to 45. But I know I will be in one of the last corrals and it will probably take me 4-5 minutes to cross the start. Race starts at 9:00, so expect me at the finish probably a little before 9:50.” It took 4 minutes and 26 seconds to cross the start. I finished in 44:46. I crossed the finish line just after 9:49. HA!

Long Version:

Pre-Race: Woke up, foam rolled, drank a little coffee, little water, and a little Gatorade…. Was not hungry at ALL for my usual pre-race breakfast (generally toast, English muffin or bagel with peanut butter and sliced banana on top), but I didn’t want to eat nothing so I made myself eat at least the banana. Temperature at the start was supposed to be 47 “feels like” 41, so I chose capri length tights, very light long sleeved tech shirt with short sleeved tech shirt over it. Took the subway an hour to Central Park. Got bib, checked bag, porta potty, warmed up, stretched, made my way to my corral.

The Race:

Mile 1: I started off running pretty easy… I guess “comfortably hard” or “medium” haha may better describe the effort. Hit a hill right away (known as “Cat Hill” after a statue of a jaguar that is there), but I was fresh so it didn’t bother me much. Glanced at the Garmin very rarely during the race, but when I did, I was running around 10:30ish most of the first mile. But right off something was very wrong with my IT band strap. It is supposed to compress my IT band above the knee so it doesn’t rub against the bony prominence right above the kneecap and cause friction. But instead of holding the IT band in place, the strap was placed a little off and seemed to be pushing the IT band out of place, and with every step I could feel my IT band move. UGH! Since the strap is under my tights, I had no choice but to go into a porta potty to fix it. There were a few right before the first mile marker, but there was a line. I lost a minute and a half! Oh well…

Mile 1: 12:05 (yikes! Stupid strap! Meh…at least I fixed it)

Mile 2: Ran past the Reservoir, it was lovely. Mostly downhill. Very easy mile for me, felt great.

Mile 2: 10:26

Mile 3: The entire mile felt like a gradual uphill. Looking at the elevation profile off my Garmin, the whole mile WAS in fact a gradual uphill. Yesterday’s race caught up to my legs here, and unlike the first hill of the race (that was shorter but steeper) this hill was taking its toll. I felt slow, but just didn’t look at the Garmin and listened to my body. And my body said the effort and pace was what it could give me at the moment, so I didn’t want to stress about it.

Mile 3: 11:24

Mile 4: Almost as soon as we passed the Mile 3 marker, there was a long downhill. It was a welcome recovery from the mile long hill I just climbed. I got an easy second wind and my legs felt light and strong again and I ran the mostly downhill mile easily. As I neared the finish I saw my parents and was so excited to see them, and then seconds later saw the finish line. Had enough left for a little sprint so I ran hard and finished strong.

Mile 4: 10:23

Pics my dad got of me as I passed my parents:

Official Time: 44:46. New 4 Mile PR. Neither 4 mile race I’ve run I ran “all out” but I will take the PR all the same!

After the race, my parents and I spent a few hours wandering around Central Park, had brunch at The Boathouse restaurant, and took about a million pictures. It was a beautiful day!

Race shirt:

Thanks for reading!

***UPDATE.... more pics!!****

MarathonFoto just posted the official race pics....photographers got a few good ones!

And my mom texted me a few other pics from our day off her phone that she had forgot to send before...

First Cherry Tree in full bloom in Central Park:

We found a Macy's Flower Show window that eerily matched my outfit:

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Nice job!  The guy behind you in the first pic looks dead on his feet but you look like , meh just and easy 4 - no big deal.

Sloooow.

Great job, especially after your huge PR yesterday! How annoying with the IT band strap though, boo.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job!  The guy behind you in the first pic looks dead on his feet but you look like , meh just and easy 4 - no big deal.

Haha he does look like he's about to die!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Better I Leave

Well done not only on a great RR, but a good run as well. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great job, especially after your huge PR yesterday! How annoying with the IT band strap though, boo.

Thanks! Yeah...tell me about it with the strap.... I was annoyed to say the least. Hey....better for it to have happened today than yesterday though I guess. And at least there were porta potties on the course right when it was really hurting me....

GinnyinPA

Good job Kristin.  Sounds like a nice race.

Way to go Kristin.  I recognize that look of your parents - proud parents!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

hog4life

Kristin, congrats on the PR. Just think what your time would be if you could run this distance "all out". Too bad you're not a little closer, I wouldn't mind running this colon cancer event. The 2nd pic is very good, actually, it's awesome! Floater, smile, hair blowing behind you.

tracilynn

My ITB strap is a trouble maker too!  Very cute pics.   You look so happy while youre runningBig grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen2011

Congrats on another great race and PR!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thank you for doing a colon cancer race!  I appreciate it and I'm sure Mitch does too.  I agree with him too, that 2nd pic of you is awesome!  And mabye I can convince him we should BOTH go up there and do this race one year with you. Big grin

Nice race, nice report, nice photos, congrats on your PR!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Two races this weekend????   Well congratulations on this one also and on the new 4 mile PR!  Great job this whole weekend.

I love these pictures of Central Park.  How neat and pretty.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Two races!! What a weekend!! Congratulations!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37