Beginners and Beyond

Lurch is on RWOL (Read 70 times)

Little Blue

Nice writeup!  I hope his positive attitude reaches a lot of people.

You Rang?

I get kinda hungry thinking about it too.

The only problem here is every time I see this thread, I think it says "Lunch is on RWOL", I get hungry and think RWOL is buying.

The Santa Rosa race recap is in work.  I normally take the day of and day after the race to write the recap.  With this one, my employer kinda expected me to show up here at work today, and my wife wanted to drive down Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur.  No writing while driving.

BTW, Spending 12 hours in a car pushing a skinny petal with your right foot is a really dumb idea the day after running a marathon.  I hurt worse today than yesterday.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

No more marathons

Great article - except for the headline.

Everything that Richard said with regard to weight loss focused on changes in the quantity of food consumed.

And yet, the headline says:  Richard lost almost 150 pounds by running.

Richard goes on to say:  "My goals are running focused: to run faster than the last time I toed the line. Having less of me to haul around makes running faster a lot easier."

I will continue my oft repeated rant - we lose weight TO run, not by running.

Oh, and Richard, can I have your autograph?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

You Rang?

Great article - except for the headline.

Oh, and Richard, can I have your autograph?

It is a great article.  I wrote every word of it, except the headline.  I think it is fair to say that running contributed to my weight loss success.  Cause my weight loss?  I don't think so.

Running gave/gives me the mental focus to slavishly log my caloric intake.  It also creates a nice caloric deficit to work with.   It blew the mental crap out of my head and made me realize that I was sick by reminding me of what well felt like.  It makes for a nice safe place to exercise my goal oriented type A personality type traits.

The calorie counting and mental health treatments did more to take the weight off than running did.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

No more marathons

It is a great article.  I wrote every word of it, except the headline.  

The calorie counting and mental health treatments did more to take the weight off than running did.

That was my assumption.  RW had to put that weight loss from running spin on it.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

Not surprising that RW spun it a lil.  Changing my diet was key to my initial weight loss, but exercise is the key to keeping it off long term.  You can't maintain that kind of deficit long term without exercise.  A balance of diet and exercise is the best way to long term success. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Cool! It's always great to see when people stick with weight loss and get a lot faster in the process.