Beginners and Beyond

Still Winter Tuesdailies (Read 23 times)

Cyberic

I averaged 6:43 for the 2ks (2min recovery) and 6:25 for the 1ks (1 min recovery). I am sure this is too slow but it's what I had today.

Dude! Too slow? Says who? You did a super workout, at a great effort, and you'll be reaping the benefits from your hard work soon enough.

Docket_Rocket

My MIL has a fear of flying after years of flying and she cannot explain what caused it. 

I ran Saturday’s 5. I was even feeling like running but 5 is better than 0 I guess. 

This marathon (if it really happens and I run it) will be interesting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Nice workouts Onemile and Fred!

Thanks!

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

LRB

huh. I'd drive to Ohio to get one.

I would have as well. I've driven further to run.

LRB

I don't know where in PA they had extra vaccines. The state is still in 1A:  over 65, teachers, healthcare workers and people with health conditions, including obesity and smoking. It is still hard to get online appointments, from what I've heard from people who are eligible but can't find one. AFAIK, I'm still a couple of months from being eligible, at age 64.

I do not know. It was a coworker who was driving there to get it for her fiance. They are originally from New Jersey but she didn't indicate that had anything to do with it. The next time we're in the office on the same day, I'll ask.

LRB

Saw this on the BBC and figured I'd share here:

I've mentioned it before but I've lost count of the times I've had to alter my turnaround point when running because it came soon after passing someone going in the opposite direction and I don't want to scare the piss out of them, woman or man. It literally happens a few times a month, easily. For me, it's a built-in mindset that I've had to have for years.

In a related occurrence, a couple years back I was holding a door open at a business for an older woman with a walker. She was slow and I told her to take her time and she replied that I was scaring her. At first I didn't understand her and when she said it again I was like okaaay, I guess I'll be on my way?? It was the most bizarre shit ever but that kind of thing happens.

Anyway, to the point, there are people in are society who lack mindfulness and/or have a sense of entitlement that not of all of us have.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've mentioned it before but I've lost count of the times I've had to alter my turnaround point when running because it came soon after passing someone going in the opposite direction and I don't want to scare the piss out of them, woman or man. It literally happens a few times a month, easily. For me, it's a built-in mindset that I've had to have for years.

In a related occurrence, a couple years back I was holding a door open at a business for an older woman with a walker. She was slow and I told her to take her time and she replied that I was scaring her. At first I didn't understand her and when she said it again I was like okaaay, I guess I'll be on my way?? It was the most bizarre shit ever but that kind of thing happens.

Anyway, to the point, there are people in are society who lack mindfulness and/or have a sense of entitlement that not of all of us have.

My sister helped set me straight when I was about 17.  I told her riding I was fine with riding the subway and wondered why she wasn't.  She bluntly pointed out that I'm a 6'2" male and she's a 5'5" female, and our circumstances are very different.  I've been forever thankful that she said that as it taught me, at a relatively early age, to stop looking at the world only from my perspective.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

onemile

you are the type of person who will tack on 2 miles to their run just so you don't turn around just after passing someone 

LRB

you are the type of person who will tack on 2 miles to their run just so you don't turn around just after passing someone 

I usually run a little past and then stop for a few! But yeah, it is a major pain in the ass because runners by nature are OCD  about mileage (generally speaking). 

Cyberic

I usually run a little past and then stop for a few! But yeah, it is a major pain in the ass because runners by nature are OCD  about mileage (generally speaking). 

I do that too. But I don't have the OCD thing.

LRB

I do that too. But I don't have the OCD thing.

Not unless the subject is kilometers