Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies with spring nowhere in sight (Read 27 times)

No more marathons

You should always feel good about running faster.

But I'll echo what the others say - just make sure it doesn't negatively impact your ability to hit your paces in speed workouts, or hit your weekly mileage targets.

It is often recommended to make the LR pace ~10% faster than easy, so you are making it a bit more of a workout than just a slog. That's pretty much what I try to do with my LR/MLRs. But, sometimes it ends up as a slog.

That creates two problems - what is my easy pace, and then how do you figure out 10% of that.

Lets say easy is 9 mpm.  So is 10% faster .9 mpm or 54 seconds?  That's close to HM pace.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

I made the call today to bail on the Rock CF Half Marathon next week, which will mark the first time in 4 years I will not run it. Tough call but I began training for it in January with zero margin for error. The three weeks I missed with flu in February were the most important weeks of training and pretty much sealed the deal, it just took me to now to state the obvious. Oh well, at least I have that weight off my shoulders and can now focus on middle distance. Blah.

PS; This means I ran 14 fucking miles for no reason. lol lol

Well, there is racing balls to the wall, and there is racing as well as that day allows.

If you ran 14 last last week you can sure as hell race 13.1 next week.

Won't PR but it will tell you what kind of shape you're in.

He's a leaker!

That creates two problems - what is my easy pace, and then how do you figure out 10% of that.

Lets say easy is 9 mpm.  So is 10% faster .9 mpm or 54 seconds?  That's close to HM pace.

Heh, that doesn't work. I think I meant 10% slower than marathon pace. Which for me, is about 8mpm + 10% = 8:48, whereas my typical easy pace of 9:00-9:15. Of course you don't run marathons anymore, so IDK. But you get the general idea.

MTA: and you figure your easy pace by running easy. 

Dave

No more marathons

Heh, that doesn't work. I think I meant 10% slower than marathon pace. Which for me, is about 8mpm + 10% = 8:48, whereas my typical easy pace of 9:00-9:15. Of course you don't run marathons anymore, so IDK. But you get the general idea.

MTA: and you figure your easy pace by running easy. 

Yeah, that whole marathon pace thing really screws with my mind.

There's the pace that McMillan says I should run based on my last 4 miler - 8:10  (that's a big NFW)

And then there's the pace that I would actually try to run if I was ever going to do that shit again - BQ-10 - 9:09

But using the theoretic Marathon pace that would put me right around 9:00 for the long runs - I can live with that..

He's a leaker!

LRB

Well, there is racing balls to the wall, and there is racing as well as that day allows.

If you ran 14 last last week you can sure as hell race 13.1 next week.

Won't PR but it will tell you what kind of shape you're in.

Actually 14 miles two weeks out from the half is pretty standard for me. What I missed out on were the 6 to 8 mile runs at race pace (12 to 14 total) before that and peak mileage three weeks out.

It's cool though, the race was not a goal race and there's no point in going through all the pomp and circumstance that comes with an event of that size just to confirm what my training (or lack thereof) has pretty much already told me.

Half Crazy K 2.0

A little over 4 easy. My easy pace has been faster than my marathon pace recently, course that bar was set kinda low...

Runshortii

PS I wish I could run my easy runs fast like a lot of you do but my legs can't handle that

Obviously you're a lot faster than me, but it's nice to see someone who does their easy runs slow. I know quite a few people who have slower PRs than me but consistently run their easy runs 20-30 seconds faster than me, and I thought maybe I was running mine too slow

Docket_Rocket

Obviously you're a lot faster than me, but it's nice to see someone who does their easy runs slow. I know quite a few people who have slower PRs than me but consistently run their easy runs 20-30 seconds faster than me, and I thought maybe I was running mine too slow

As my coach says, that's probably why their races are slower than yours.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Onemile - congratulations!

D - I've had two races where clock issues made me frantic.  It's hard to get your head into the race when you're frazzled from just trying to get there.

delicate flower

I agree. You can always ask your coach. I asked Addie if it was okay to run faster than her prescribed paces for workouts if I feel good and she said yes, as long as I am not crushing myself to do it. So that's what I would say here. As long as you are able to recover to run the rest of your schedule, hitting workout paces and not repeatedly getting injured, go for it.

PS I wish I could run my easy runs fast like a lot of you do but my legs can't handle that

My coach says it's not every day that you feel really good, so if you are having fun and want to run hard, run hard and worry about tomorrow tomorrow*.  When I feel good, I fly, and I am going to enjoy those days when they happen.

* - that is, as long as you don't have a key workout or race the next day

<3

delicate flower

I see my ad-free subscription expired.  Time to re-up for another year!

<3

More than one way to skin a cat. Speed of your LRs is just one data point, you can't draw any conclusions from that alone.

Dave

I see my ad-free subscription expired.  Time to re-up for another year!

You can probably pay the money and request that you still get ads.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB