Beginners and Beyond

Runner Helps Another Runner (Read 110 times)

Mostly harmless

I love stuff like this. The guy in yellow was about to pass out just before he crossed the finish line.

Full story: http://www.runnersworld.com/races/amazing-race-photo-bond-between-runners

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Looks like an in-race "trust fall" to me!

Very nice.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

happylily

Awesome picture!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

good works = good soul

class act

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awesome! So kind

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Very nice.  My husband saw two people carrying another so she could finish the LA Marathon while waiting for me.  And another one limping and being helped through the finish line.  Nice to know others care.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Yeah, I'll be the hard ass here.  I think it's great that one runner caught the other and kept him from hitting the ground.  That would seriously suck.  However, if you are to receive an official time, you should have to move your body, unassisted, from the start to the finish.  Runners have collapsed in races before and been passed, costing them places and money.  There was one Ironman video where a competitor had collapsed and, as I recall, she got passed by one or two competitors and finished off the podium as a result.  Staff never touched her until after she had crawled across the finish.

And it's not even Friday.  Evil

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

Yeah, I'll be the hard ass here.  I think it's great that one runner caught the other and kept him from hitting the ground.  That would seriously suck.  However, if you are to receive an official time, you should have to move your body, unassisted, from the start to the finish.  Runners have collapsed in races before and been passed, costing them places and money.  There was one Ironman video where a competitor had collapsed and, as I recall, she got passed by one or two competitors and finished off the podium as a result.  Staff never touched her until after she had crawled across the finish.

This was at a RnR event where you can ride in the sag wagon until you catch up with the sweepers and still finish with an "official" time.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Luke79

That was Paula Newby Fraser.  She laid there for like 20 minutes and thought she was going to die.  She still got 4th place, which is insane.

Yeah that is pretty hard-ass. Wink I am guessing these were not elite runners and were not competing for any podium. This is just pure sportsmanship from recreational athletes. Reminds me of the story you might remember from a few years ago, in girls' softball. Batter hit a game-winning homer but tore her ACL rounding first. The rule is you must touch all the bases & cannot be helped by your teammates. Two girls from the other team carried her around the bases, thereby ensuring their loss. I think if it's anything below a professional level, it is NOT all about winning.

Dave

Yeah that is pretty hard-ass. Wink I am guessing these were not elite runners and were not competing for any podium. This is just pure sportsmanship from recreational athletes........ it is NOT all about winning.

I am as competitive as the next person but this is spot on. Most are just trying to make it to the finish in a marathon.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Resident Historian

Now updated with the runners' own stories:

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/meet-men-runner-helps-runner-marathon-photo

Great story!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

They've identified the guy, and he explains on his FB that he didn't realize it would be such a big deal.  Personally, I think it was awesome of him to do that.  I understand LTH's point, but at the same time they were over the 4 hour mark and weren't going to be getting any awards.  I think they did more for the sport, than they would have if one had laid in the street while the other chased a PR.  Kudos to them.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The update is awesome.  I think the fact that my non-running friends found this story before I did shows something.  The "news" hasn't been keeping up with what people want.  Sometimes a feel good story will sell papers, help ratings and make someone's day a little brighter.  For some reason, most news outlets are still hung up on the idea that the only thing that will boost ratings is the daily tragedy.

Now updated with the runners' own stories:

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/meet-men-runner-helps-runner-marathon-photo

Great story!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dr. Cornsitter

Stop making me cry, people. I can't handle these kinds of stories so early in the morning.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.