Beginners and Beyond

RR - Snohomish River Run - Half Marathon - 10/11/15 (Read 53 times)

So 10 sec faster would've moved me from 5th to 4th in M50-54 AG. But would've needed another 4 minutes to get to 3rd where the swag was, so I don't feel too bad. Yet I would've been 2nd in M45-49. F'in fast old dudes.

Also noteworthy: 1st OA was a woman at 1:17, the entire field got chicked.

Dave

Ric-G

like others have said, that's cool and crazy that you can run a pr so soon after a marathon...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

delicate flower

You may have been able to attack this a little more, but I can understand your hesitation given the marathon performance was still fresh in your mind.  Given the hit your confidence took, I think this was a nice rebound, and a PR is always nice.

From a pure data analysis, your splits look pretty good but it does look like you could have gone out faster.  You probably could have squeezed another 1-2 minutes out of this.  The HM should feel a little uncomfortable right from the start.  You had a good race though and you should be happy about this.

<3

From the Internet.

Nice job PB&J! Yeah, you maybe could have gone out a bit faster or waited until you were a little more recovered from the big M, but a PR is PR regardless of how you earned it!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to go Dave, congrats on the new PR!  Hey, a PR is a PR, enjoy it!

Snohomish... part of my wife's stomping grounds in her youth...she grew up in Wenatchee.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

workinprogress11

There's not a chance in hell I could get a PR 4 weeks after a marathon.  I think that's pretty awesome. It would probably be smarter not to another one in two weeks but I can't help but be curious as to how it would go.

Congratulations on the PR!

Docket_Rocket

I think you ran well considering all you've been through during and since the marathon.  I can see you breaking McMillan's prediction if you train solely for it.  Congrats on the PR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Pretty effing impressive if you ask me. Congrats!

happylily

McMillan isn't a dick. Most men I know fare better at shorter distances than at longer ones. Also, we keep saying it because it's true, McMillan bases his predictions on more mileage during training than most of us do here... Regardless, you did great. Think of it: 4 weeks at lower mileage with basically no speedwork and you end up with a PR. I think that's pretty awesome, congratulations! Another cycle in hell and I see that 1:36 within your reach, Dave. Trust me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Snohomish... part of my wife's stomping grounds in her youth...she grew up in Wenatchee.

Did not know that! There is a marathon in Wenatchee in the spring I was looking at.

Dave

Thanks, people!

From a pure data analysis, your splits look pretty good but it does look like you could have gone out faster.  You probably could have squeezed another 1-2 minutes out of this.  The HM should feel a little uncomfortable right from the start.  You had a good race though and you should be happy about this.

Getting a better feel for HM pace is something I will need to work on. It's a long enough race that I end up being afraid to push myself to get too uncomfortable too early. Most of the race probably felt a bit more like MP to me. And based on some of the MP runs I did in training, it probably wasn't too far off.

McMillan isn't a dick. Most men I know fare better at shorter distances than at longer ones. Also, we keep saying it because it's true, McMillan bases his predictions on more mileage during training than most of us do here... Regardless, you did great. Think of it: 4 weeks at lower mileage with basically no speedwork and you end up with a PR. I think that's pretty awesome, congratulations! Another cycle in hell and I see that 1:36 within your reach, Dave. Trust me.

Maybe so. Just seems weird to me considering the only race distance I've ever specifically trained for is the marathon, and yet the shorter I race, the better I do. (Time to run the mile!) But I realize the McMillan formula, however it was developed is just some kind of average curve, and everyone's individual equation is different. No point in stressing about it (I keep trying to tell myself).

Anyway, as usual for me upon reflection several days after the race, I feel pretty good about it. I went fairly quickly from being a physical wreck and not sure I could actually run the thing, to being upset I didn't PR by 2-3 minutes. This makes no logical sense. It was a beautiful day, I ran strong & steady, PR'd, and got right back into a normal running routine. What - I was disappointed because I didn't make myself miserable enough during the race, and wasn't limping for days afterwards? Something is wrong with me. 

Dave

Cyberic

The HM should feel a little uncomfortable right from the start.  

I did that in my half last year and it was the most miserable race of my life. It took me longer to recover from that half than it did from my marathon this year. I thought I could hold on, and pushed, and pushed before I finally had to slow down. Miserable, I tell you. And the only race for which I was disappointed with the result.

LRB

I did that in my half last year and it was the most miserable race of my life. It took me longer to recover from that half than it did from my marathon this year. I thought I could hold on, and pushed, and pushed before I finally had to slow down. Miserable, I tell you. And the only race for which I was disappointed with the result.

My best half marathon performances did not feel uncomfortable from the start and in fact I had to rein it in both times. But, we all are an experiment of one so what is true for one can be the complete opposite for another.