Beginners and Beyond

Strengthening "stuff" (Read 477 times)

runmomto3boys

I am trying to do a lot more core and hip strengthening stuff since my race; primarily, planks and Myrtl exercises (+ yoga).  Do you guys have any other easyish exercises that you do (read: no weights) that I could incorporate into my weekly routine???  I'm just looking for a little variety...

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You need to start some heavy weightlifting and pack on about 50 pounds of muscle.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

xor

In addition to posting this here... very cool... this is exactly the kind of post which might benefit from cross pollination with the natives.  Ifn you want.

The high school basics... sit-ups, push-ups and burpees (do a push-up before getting back up).  Burpees SUCK ass BTW.

sugnim

Clam shells, leg lifts, squats, planks, balancing exercises such as "half moon" and "dancer" come to mind.  

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

12 oz curls.  

You people have issues 

LRB

Deep knee bends - high reps like sets of 23 to 50.

Push ups - as many as you can do (vary hand placement to target different areas).

Pull ups - as many as you can do.  You may need your DH to install a bar or sometimes you can do them in a door way or garage.

Six inches - lying on your back legs extended with your feet held six inches above the floor.  Hold for a count of twenty-five.

An argument can be made that body weight exercises such as these are better for a person than lifting weights.

I like lifting weights.  Wink 

runmomto3boys

Run 26: Ohhh, burpees (I looked those up - good one!) and push ups - awesome.  I'll definitely include those. 

Sugnim: I have to look up those balancing exercises; thanks!

LRB: YES  That's the kind of stuff I wanted!  THANKS! 

sugnim

Half Moon:  http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/ardhachandrasan.htm

Dancer: http://www.yogalearningcenter.com/poses/dancer

I'll give you the advice of my yoga teacher: Be patient, listen to your body, and welcome the movement as your body strengthens the tiny muscles that aid in balance.

runmomto3boys

Thanks, guys! 

Someone also suggested this DVD apparently put together by a distance runner, LIsa Watson.  I went ahead and ordered it, but I just thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested. 

http://getyourstrongstride.com/shop/

Shakedown Street

I like turkish get ups. with a 5 or 7 lb weight from wal-mart. Or a heavy phone book, something.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

LRB

Run 26: Ohhh, burpees (I looked those up - good one!) and push ups - awesome.  I'll definitely include those. 

Sugnim: I have to look up those balancing exercises; thanks!

LRB: YES  That's the kind of stuff I wanted!  THANKS! 

Not a beer girl 'eh?  The Duke is disappointed.  You owe him.

I like turkish get ups. with a 5 or 7 lb weight from wal-mart. Or a heavy phone book, something.

I tried these with a 35 lb kettlebell.  Damn near separated my shoulder...probably should have stayed with a 5 lb weight.  Those bastards are harder than they look.

LRB

I tried these with a 35 lb kettlebell.  Damn near separated my shoulder...probably should have stayed with a 5 lb weight.  Those bastards are harder than they look.

Kettlebell weight is deceiving isn't it?!  I did a two hand swing with a 50 lb KB, and almost took off to the moon! 

The trainer tried to tell me but I was nah I got this.  Sheeit!

Misty

Ugh I have GOT to start some strengthening stuff myself. You know it's a problem when your upper body is too weak to support you when you're foam rolling your calves lol.

Misty

Bless your heart.