Beginners and Beyond

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a "Beginner's Forum"? (Read 477 times)

MrNamtor

I mean, what "beginner" is ever going to navigate his or her way into this god forsaken foul smelling refugee camp we now find ourselves in?

And also, are we going to go all "Lord of the Flies" real quick-like without the ruthless moderation supplied by our beloved s*s?

And how often can and/or should we use profanity?

runfoolery

Considering that nobody else asked this question before, I'm glad you started this thread!

LRB

It has been brought about four or five times now in various threads.

This site does not function the way we did on RW.  New runners here will go to running 101, and then choose whichever user group they feel most comfortable with.

The title of our user group was actually prophetic in that we are going beyond the way things used to be.

As it is, we are getting a lot of looks from people who were not on RW so I think we will do just fine in this new format.

MrNamtor

so runfoolery was being sarcastic.Tight lips

well it doesn't matter, the bf tradition of repetitive unnecessary threads will be continued proudly then.

xor

It's not that hard.  Same way that masters runners find the site and then wind up in the Masters User Group if/when they want to wind up there.

Beginners find this site and post questions in Running 101.  Hopefully you, like me, read stuff in that group.  Consider it the lobby.  The running questions get asked there.  Someone from this User Group may see this new person and invite them here.  This new person will also likely learn about the User Groups idea as a general thing if they want to stick with RA and may wander in here themselves.  It has worked well for 7+ years and it will continue to work just fine.

The thing you need to understand is that despite the name, BF is not really a Beginners-only Group.  It is a cross-sectional group of online friends who like to talk about stuff.  You used to do it on RWOL. Now you do it here. The true running beginner may find this group to be a real delight.  Or not. 

It is cool having a lobby.  Honest.

MrNamtor

alright well what about the fucking profanity issue?

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

The lobby analogy is a great one.  I'm  having a blast reading through the old running threads like I did when I found RWOL.

runfoolery

Of course I was being sarcastic. I'm always sarcastic.

As with everything, things will evolve. the first evolution will be when RWOL gets their spam cleaned up - I'm assuming they eventually will get the forums to be usable, instead of, say, nuking them permanently.

Who knows if even half of us will still be active here.

Then over the next few weeks/months some of us will venture more into the main forums, others won't. It'll be interesting to see how people mix up their activity.

At some point if we want to be more inclusive we should change our group name - but that's premature now because we really don't know what kind of nuthouse this group will become

Yes, it defeats the purpose, but I assume at some point we will move back to RWOL.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I'm good with profanity as long as it isn't directed AT someone...calling someone a fucking asshole just isn't nice. I think (okay, I hope) we're all smart enough to figure out when enough is enough.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Yes, it defeats the purpose, but I assume at some point we will move back to RWOL.

I'm not going back. They clearly don't care enough to make any lasting changes to the way the forums function. Here we had the site owner actually post a stickied thread inviting us to ask him any questions and offering his assistance to anyone in this group. How awesome is that? Why on earth would we want to leave here and go back to that shithole?

I'm not going back. They clearly don't care enough to make any lasting changes to the way the forums function. Here we had the site owner actually post a stickied thread inviting us to ask him any questions and offering his assistance to anyone in this group. How awesome is that? Why on earth would we want to leave here and go back to that shithole?

Well, again, we're not going to stay here permanently, unless we plan on never having new blood.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Srl that is a lot of miles in 2012. My best year was only 1972 miles.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I got an Email from eric to a question. This site may not be as busy but it is working  a lot better than rw.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

runfoolery

We'll get new people who find these forums and are interested in our craziness.

Unfortunately, a google search for "running forum" doesn't list these forums at all, at least not through the first 3-4 pages. I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that.