Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES are sleepy (Read 36 times)

onemile

My route with what I consider to have THE HILL is like 300ft in 0.6-0.7 miles. I can walk faster than i can run that one

yeah, you'll be fine!

GinnyinPA

For Boston, I did a lot of hills on my long runs. I especially tried to get a long downhill in the early miles and uphill in the later ones to test my legs and work on pacing. Most Boston specific plans include hill repeats, but since I live in a hilly area with 50-100' per mile of elev. gain on most of my runs, I didn't bother, I just mostly avoided flat routes except when doing intervals. Since I got a 10 minute PR and didn't have much trouble in Newton, I figure the training worked. My first marathon was hilly (Gettysburg) and I made the mistake of training well for the uphills, but not the downhills. My quads were trashed. I saw a lot of people stopped dead because of cramps in the last quarter of the race. I wasn't that bad, but I was in a lot of pain.

LRB

I will plan to be cognizant of this, but otherwise probably try not to overthink it. I have generally not had problems with getting too pumped and going out too fast. Well certainly many cases where it turned out to be too fast based on how I finished, but it was generally a pace I planned on.

Your 12 - 13 MLR is the equivalent of hill training, provided your weekly mileage is within your normal MRT range.

Cyberic

For Boston, I did a lot of hills on my long runs. I especially tried to get a long downhill in the early miles and uphill in the later ones to test my legs and work on pacing. Most Boston specific plans include hill repeats, but since I live in a hilly area with 50-100' per mile of elev. gain on most of my runs, I didn't bother, I just mostly avoided flat routes except when doing intervals. Since I got a 10 minute PR and didn't have much trouble in Newton, I figure the training worked. My first marathon was hilly (Gettysburg) and I made the mistake of training well for the uphills, but not the downhills. My quads were trashed. I saw a lot of people stopped dead because of cramps in the last quarter of the race. I wasn't that bad, but I was in a lot of pain.

Ha! Smart. That is definitely what I'd try doing.

Cyberic

DaveP, I have not been around Seattle much, but from what I've seen of Seattle itself, if the surroundings are like that, just running there will prepare you for Boston quite enough. Seattle is never flat either (the downtown area). It has some real thigh burners.

Docket_Rocket

9 TM miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I did my Wednesday bike workout after work today because I wanted no part of running in 40 degree downpours.  So, 55 minutes done on the trainer, and had to go a lot harder on the legs than I had planned today.

<3

Cyberic

Stopped by the hardware store on my way back from work, bought a 100 pack of hex head metal screws, and custom made me a pair of NB 890 V6 ICE !!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 on the treadmill.

Cyberic, great video, you looked thrilled. The course looked really pretty too.