Beginners and Beyond

I have a dumb race question... (Read 97 times)

Boston this year had no bag check and my ride home was based on a street corner to be determined. I called my friends shortly after finishing to see where the car was. If I drive to a race the only thing I carry is a key.

This isn't exactly true. I know a lot of runners who used their gear check option this year. Granted, there was not a bag check at the start but there was a gear check in the morning at Boston Common. Drop your bag and board the bus to the start.

Not as convenient as the past but it seemed to work for those I know who used it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I either leave mine in my tahoe, hotel or with DH. I have never used bag check.....yet

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Ric-G

I remain astounded at how much stuff people carry during a race.

Agreed. I have seen a variation of this at a 5k!

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

lol

B-Plus

I don't even bring my phone with me to the track, because I'm afraid it'll get jacked from my car.

From the Internet.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone! DH was planning to go into work today but his boss told him to work from home since that's what everyone else does on Columbus Day, so I convinced him that I was responsible enough to borrow his commuter rail pass and I'd guard it with my life :P

Completely left my phone at home. I hate carrying it and it was kind of liberating to be without it for a few hours. The bag check was extremely well organized and guarded at all times, so I'll be open to checking my phone in my bag next year.

Brilliant

I remain astounded at how much stuff people carry during a race.

My hubby was with me at the start line yesterday and asked me, "Why are all these people carrying so much stuff for a half?"  I have no idea!

Cyberic

My hubby was with me at the start line yesterday and asked me, "Why are all these people carrying so much stuff for a half?"  I have no idea!

For both half marathons I've raced, I was carrying a hydration belt. The reason was that I figured it would gain me a few seconds. Instead of slowing down and try drinking out of a small paper cup, I'd have my own squeeze bottles. Effective and less time lost.

Worked well for last year's half. I drank 3 of my 4 bottles during the race, and the 4th after finish. This year I figured two bottles would be enough. But I lost weight this summer. The belt kept coming up during the race. After maybe 1 or two miles, while fixing the stupid belt, I lost one bottle. I carried the stupid belt and kept having to fix it for 7 miserable oz of fluid.

Next year I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. Drink from the paper cups, or carry my hydration belt (which I'd fix so it would fit me) again. It looks dorky, but I'll choose results over looks every time.

Half Crazy K 2.0

For both half marathons I've raced, I was carrying a hydration belt. The reason was that I figured it would gain me a few seconds. Instead of slowing down and try drinking out of a small paper cup, I'd have my own squeeze bottles. Effective and less time lost.

Worked well for last year's half. I drank 3 of my 4 bottles during the race, and the 4th after finish. This year I figured two bottles would be enough. But I lost weight this summer. The belt kept coming up during the race. After maybe 1 or two miles, while fixing the stupid belt, I lost one bottle. I carried the stupid belt and kept having to fix it for 7 miserable oz of fluid.

Next year I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. Drink from the paper cups, or carry my hydration belt (which I'd fix so it would fit me) again. It looks dorky, but I'll choose results over looks every time.

I have worn a Camelbak in a race for that reason, I could avoid the water stops. Worked well at the less crowded one. Didn't make a darn bit of difference at the super crowded one that put water on both sides of the street and staggered, so if you went left to avoid the water stop on the right, there was a second set of tables on your left, so there was no avoiding it.

Docket_Rocket

Agreed. I have seen a variation of this at a 5k!

That's one of the twin owners of runningskirts.com.  Ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Everyone's different, but unless it's particularly warm out, you might not need anything. In my last HM, I took cups from 2 aid stations just to get a few sips. But in the 2 before that, I didn't have any water, and was fine. One less thing to worry about.

Dave

Drop your bag and board the bus to the start.

Not as convenient as the past but it seemed to work for those I know who used it.

That actually seemed *more* convenient than wandering through a maze of buses while trying to find the right # range.  And, it was really nice to sit in the sun in the Common afterwards.

I leave a full change of clothes in bag check, and my phone / hotel key if applicable.  Other than the folded $20 at Boston just in case, or a car key in my hand, nothing else gets carried during a race.

Brilliant

For both half marathons I've raced, I was carrying a hydration belt....

I didn't mean to criticize someone who wears a hydration belt. It can be a smart move - I'm a middle-of-the-packer, and have seen aid stations the second half of the race that are out of water!  But the folks my hubby noticed yesterday had full-on back packs!  They must have been walkers, ready for 4 hours on the course.

Docket_Rocket

I have seen people using camelbaks for 5Ks....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sheepla

I never ever carry my phone when running.  That defeats the purpose of the run for me.

I've also never used a bag check.  Honestly can't even think what I check since I run only with my car key.