Beginners and Beyond

Time Management... (Read 373 times)

sugnim

I find that a lot of cooking is the prep work.  It helps if you can pick a day to chop your veggies & get things ready so that when it comes to making dinner in the evening, you can just focus on the cooking & not the preparation.  Plus, you won't have to wash your cutting board & knives each night.  Sometimes for shorter runs, I like to toss a couple of sweet potatoes into the oven to roast while I am running.  When I get home, they are hot & ready to be served with a salad or some eggs or leftovers for a quick & healthy meal.

For work, delegate to lower-ranking, hourly employees.  It's what my boss does.

As for caring for your wife & running errands for your mom--good on you.  You sound like a good person.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Generally in bed by 9ish, so ~5.5 hours depending on if DD wakes us up.

Thankfully with on demand, we don't miss any important shows.

Staying up and watching say Monday night football, renders me pretty useless  for the rest of the week. So I only do it rarely.

I do have a lie in on weekends and usually snuggle DD for a nap at least one weekend day as well.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Jess runs for bacon

I think making your own gym is a good choice. Someone mentioned meal preps, that's also good. One day a week make everything (freezers are your best friend).

Better I Leave

How much time do you have to yourself in a regular day, would you say?

On a given day, if I'm not lifting or running I have about 2 hours of time with absolutely nothing to do. My one hour in the morning I hope to keep "sacred" for my own "head". That generally leaves me about an hour to exercise...and that's what I'm doing. I just hope to be able to manage my time better in order to get more running in on any given day. I read here where some folks are knocking out 10 or more miles a day and I tell myself that I'd love to be able to do that, but I'm not that fast so to do a bare minimum of 10 miles would take a little over 90 minutes. I guess what I'm striving for is to be able to run more given the time I have...Maybe I need to get faster, ya know? **grin**

Trail Monster

Why do you shave to run errands for your mom every day? I can see stopping to visit every day but why not cut the lunch errands to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and run Tuesday and Thursday? There's two days of easy running done. Then you get up early or run after work M,W,F and make those speed work or longer/harder days with one day being a floating rest day (whichever day you're too busy to fit it in). Then one weekend day is a rest day and the other is your long run (get up before the sun and get it done before anyone needs you).

Honestly, it's all in your commitment. I'm a wife, mother of 2 young girls, full time employee and full time student. I still fit in at least 20 MPW. I have cooked many dinners that I didn't get to sit down and eat with my family. I am often found hunched over my books with a fork in my hand at 8 PM after the kids are in bed. I have spent many lunch breaks racing out the door to fit in as many miles as I can before I have to be back. I have hired babysitters to watch the kids for 2-3 hours so I can do my long runs. If you're an average runner then 3 miles will only take you 30-ish minutes. That's 1/48th of your day so there's really no reason you can't prioritize it In.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

happylilly asked about sleep. On the nights I grt home between 9:30 and 10 I usually get to bed by 12 or 1:00 and wake up around 5:30....so between 4 and 5 hours....but nights I get home before 8 or 9 I try to be asleep by 10:30 to balabce it out a bit.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Better I Leave

Why do you shave to run errands for your mom every day? I can see stopping to visit every day but why not cut the lunch errands to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and run Tuesday and Thursday? There's two days of easy running done. Then you get up early or run after work M,W,F and make those speed work or longer/harder days with one day being a floating rest day (whichever day you're too busy to fit it in). Then one weekend day is a rest day and the other is your long run (get up before the sun and get it done before anyone needs you).

Honestly, it's all in your commitment. I'm a wife, mother of 2 young girls, full time employee and full time student. I still fit in at least 20 MPW. I have cooked many dinners that I didn't get to sit down and eat with my family. I am often found hunched over my books with a fork in my hand at 8 PM after the kids are in bed. I have spent many lunch breaks racing out the door to fit in as many miles as I can before I have to be back. I have hired babysitters to watch the kids for 2-3 hours so I can do my long runs. If you're an average runner then 3 miles will only take you 30-ish minutes. That's 1/48th of your day so there's really no reason you can't prioritize it In.

20MPW is generally not a problem. With the 5 I have planned for tonight, I'll have about 24-25 for the past 7 days. I'd like to "kick it up a notch" though. Maybe it's self imposed, but if I have time for an "easy 4-5" on the TM, I find myself often wanting to do more. I never thought I'd hear myself saying that I want more time so that I can run more. LOL!

I think it is important to remember that 3 miles does not always equal 30 minutes. For me to get dressed, run 3 miles, shower and change is a good 50 minutes.

meaghansketch

I am currently working (typically) a 6 AM-4 PM schedule, with a 1-hr commute each way.  I am trying to get into the habit of running home from work a couple of days a week (somewhere around 11 miles).  I do feel, a lot of the time, though, like my life is pretty much working and running.  I have other hobbies I don't spend nearly enough time doing, and I might hang out with friends one night a week, but more than that seems pretty much impossible (or at least exhausting).  I am single right now and don't have kids, and believe me, I have a tremendous amount of sympathy/admiration for those of you who do because I simply can't see how I would even manage kids and work, much less kids and work and running and anything else.

Docket_Rocket

That's what I get for reading it from my iPhone, oops.

Thanks DR for the wishes about my wife and mother, And yes, I listed it. I just got a new Sole F85 for the gym.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

I think it is important to remember that 3 miles does not always equal 30 minutes. For me to get dressed, run 3 miles, shower and change is a good 50 minutes.

One plus side of an early morning workout, is that I would be having a shower anyway.

Saves a few mins by not doubling up with one in the am and then one post-run.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

runmomto3boys

I'm lucky that I have most of my evenings to myself. After 10 hours of work, preparing supper, a few house chores, etc... I still have three hours to do whatever I want. So, I choose to run. Sometimes, up to two hours on a week night. During the weekend, it is even easier. My real problem is not so much the time, but the energy, which is lacking. After a long and hectic day at work and a full family life, the intervals seem way harder than they should!

This is my exact situation/explains my challenges too, except my "work" involves taking care of my three little boys.

Mostly harmless

Maybe now isn't your time to run more than you are.  I don't think I could run more miles than what you are currently running with the time and responsibilities that you have.  Instead, maybe you should focus on the quality of the runs you have time to run.  Work on form, work on speed, whatever you think you need to do to improve. Make the most out of every run.

Circumstances can change a year or two down the road and you could end up with a lot more free time to dedicate to running.  I understand where you are coming from completely, but I'm just saying maybe you need to devote as much time to your wife and Mom as possible right now.  Run as often as can so you maintain your fitness and reevaluate later.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

bluerun

Super B****

For those of you who get up at a God awful hour, how many hours of sleep do you get? If I don't have 3 or 4 days a week of 7 consecutive hours of sleep, let me tell you: I'm darn cranky!

I'm super lucky if I get six... but since I'm darn cranky without a workout, and my sleeping sucks anyway, it makes sense to just get out of bed and work out.  Tongue

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

To echo what others have said, I think its all about prioritizing what you need to accomplish.  I am a full-time law student, work, play the occasional music gig, am trying to finish up my thesis for my masters, and have social and familial obligations as well.  But running trumps all of that for me right now.  When I had running or working out down the list even a few slots on my priority list, it just didn't get done which I couldn't deal with.  Maybe it won't be this way for ever, but my personal health needed a turn at the top, at least for a while.

Good luck with finding the time to balance everything in your life!