Beginners and Beyond

Coaching fees (Read 58 times)

PADRunner

No, I think he meant Keith Hanson....

I went to school with Kieth Henson.

Docket_Rocket

My coach charged me per race (plan) and it was $150 including all the coaching for the 10-16 weeks (depending on the plan) and the plan.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

My coach charged me per race (plan) and it was $150 including all the coaching for the 10-16 weeks (depending on the plan) and the plan.

That is pretty reasonable. But you race like 2 millions times a year, so your coach still earns reasonable money off your coaching. A coach would strike such a deal with me only once, as he would make $300 for one full year of coaching, lol.

Docket_Rocket

That is pretty reasonable. But you race like 2 millions times a year, so your coach still earns reasonable money off your coaching. A coach would strike such a deal with me only once, as he would make $300 for one full year of coaching, lol.

I only use him for goal races.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

$65/year for all that? You're right, can't beat that.

I can...

5ish years of being coached - $0.00

DD coached at same time - started from hanging out watching Dad, to 'racing' coach for 50m.  to full on training - doubled my cost to $0.00

Extras (were not required):

1st - VO2 test - $200

2nd - VO2 test - $100

Oh! forgot to add:

I have had several race entries comped, (HM, 10k, Marathon) included being included into a full comped elite race experience - hotel, food etc.

Several race shirts also...

Now to be fair, in the past 2 years I help a great deal in keeping the group running, running workouts if coach cant make it and general stuff.  Which is not above and beyond what I would do anyway (imo)

onemile

One thing to add... there is more than the price to consider. I have seen some workouts given by local coaches that don't really make good training sense to me. And sometimes these coaches' main qualification is that they are fast themselves or have had some personal running success. And while I would want a coach that has been successful (fast) themselves, it's not the only qualification, in my book and maybe not even the most important.  Some of these local coaches I wouldn't use even if they were free.  It's not a bargain if your coach doesn't know what he's doing.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One thing to add... there is more than the price to consider. I have seen some workouts given by local coaches that don't really make good training sense to me. And sometimes these coaches' main qualification is that they are fast themselves or have had some personal running success. And while I would want a coach that has been successful (fast) themselves, it's not the only qualification, in my book and maybe not even the most important.  Some of these local coaches I wouldn't use even if they were free.  It's not a bargain if your coach doesn't know what he's doing.

Same for a coach who thinks there is one and only one way to train. That coach may get great results for some runners, but not every one will thrive.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Same for a coach who thinks there is one and only one way to train. That coach may get great results for some runners, but not every one will thrive.

I agree with you two. I trust the guy I have in mind, but not blindly. I am doing ok by myself up until now. I meet my own expectations. Anyways, I'm too cheap to pay a monthly fee, unless he comes up with an interesting package. But for now, I just want to hire him as a one time consultant, and see if he can give me guide lines. An example would be: I could work on 10Ks to acquire some speed while keeping stamina, etc. Just get his opinion on how I should structure my training short term and mid term.

onemile

I agree with you two. I trust the guy I have in mind, but not blindly. I am doing ok by myself up until now. I meet my own expectations. Anyways, I'm too cheap to pay a monthly fee, unless he comes up with an interesting package. But for now, I just want to hire him as a one time consultant, and see if he can give me guide lines. An example would be: I could work on 10Ks to acquire some speed while keeping stamina, etc. Just get his opinion on how I should structure my training short term and mid term.

I hesitated about it for awhile because it seems kind of silly for someone like me to pay for a coach. It's not like I am going to get anything other than personal satisfaction out of this. It's all just for "fun" and does it really even matter? But then people spend more than that for cable tv or going out to eat frequently.  And I kind of wanted to try it.  I've kept it longer than I meant to but I liked it more than I expected.  I'm not getting younger or expecting to be able to keep PRing forever so I thought now was the time to try something like this.

Hip Redux

I hesitated about it for awhile because it seems kind of silly for someone like me to pay for a coach. It's not like I am going to get anything other than personal satisfaction out of this. It's all just for "fun" and does it really even matter? But then people spend more than that for cable tv or going out to eat frequently.  And I kind of wanted to try it.  I've kept it longer than I meant to but I liked it more than I expected.  I'm not getting younger or expecting to be able to keep PRing forever so I thought now was the time to try something like this.

As with anything, it's all about what makes you happy and what sort of goals you want for yourself.   Doesn't matter if you are a 30min 5k or a 20min 5k, if you want to try something, do it.

People spend money on all sorts of things that I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean it's wrong/right either way.

I spend a lot more than what you guys are on running coaches for a personal trainer that I meet with 2x week.   I'm sure there are people who will think that's nuts considering I am not competitive in anything athletic, but hey, whatever, I like the challenge.