Beginners and Beyond

This took nine months (RR -- not about a baby!) (Read 402 times)

bluerun

Super B****

I don't really write RRs here, and this isn't really one, but it took so impossibly long for me to get to this point that I just had to share it!!  I've been chasing a 5K PR since the end of March, when I ran one in 24:50.

I got a little sidelined by a pelvic sfx in April and then by breaking my hip in a cycling accident in June... so it's really only been since the end of August that I've been making at earnest effort at it.  As my first try was A) during a sprint tri and B) my first time running outdoors since breaking my hip, I wasn't expecting a PR there, though it would have been nice.  But when my next attempt failed because my legs just forgot to come to the race with me, I was getting a little pissed off.  And when the next attempt was a bust because the race was beyond overcrowded, and it's impossible to move, let alone run, when you're stuffed into a tunnel with thirty thousand other people, I got annoyed enough to focus on other distances for a while.

PRs in the 10K, 5 mile, and 5.4K (don't ask) gave me the nerve to finally try again.  Unfortunately, it was pretty much the same course as the race in which I forgot to bring my legs... but it didn't matter.

I have a new PR: 23:55.  FINALLY.

The bad news is that there's another 5K in a couple of weeks that was supposed to be my backup if this one blew up in my face... and I doubt I'll be getting a PR there now.  Wink

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats on the PR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I am very happy to hear about your new PR.  You've battled through so much and you deserve it.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sugnim

Nice job on the PR.  At 9 months, you could say this PR is indeed your baby!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Whoo!  It was the socks.  I'm tellin' ya, those are faaaast socks.  You must wear them to every race now. ;-)   Congrats, sweetie! 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

That's great you got a new PR after a few failed attempts. That always feels so great.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

Whoo!  It was the socks.  I'm tellin' ya, those are faaaast socks.  You must wear them to every race now. ;-)   Congrats, sweetie! 

That RobinCD knows what she's talking about, no?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Great job, it must be even sweeter after all that stood in the way.

runmomto3boys

You have overcome a lot, Leiba, to get where you are today.  I am so incredibly impressed with your race and that finish time.  You are fast!  There is no denying it.  Congratulations on a great race!

Congratulations on the PR, bluerun!
                      MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Congrats!  You have come so far and fought so much, you earned that PR.  Hope 2013 brings more happy, healthy running!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

About damn time! Seriously glad the legs showed up today. Congrats on a well earned PR

Marjorie

Pinktastic

What a sweet PR!!  Congrats on such a speedy race!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Sloooow.

Definitely owned that PR! Congratulations on the super fast time, you have come a long way and through so much.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  And who knows, you may do even better at your race in a few weeks.  Gotta try!