Beginners and Beyond

Macarize Monday Penguins (Read 24 times)

SheCan

I don't know why she needs to do the hot one anyway...my wife is already hot!    Enjoy your non-running day today.

There is outrage from SB48, Awood?    Sorry about the increased appetite, but good on ya for sticking with the tobacco-quitting!   I bet your appetite will even out, as your body gets used to the change, probably just take a while.   Good luck!

LOL, Scotty, exactly, Gail already is hot!  You're so sweet.  And thank you, I'm already enjoying it!

Awood, I bet Scotty is right.  I know when DH and I quit smoking, both of us gained weight.  I almost think tobacco seemed to make my metabolism run faster (or whatever its called!)  After a while though we both went back down to our previous weights with little effort, though I think the running definitely helped me.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Scotty - Enjoy your rest day.  You earned it.  So did Gail.  90 minutes is a long time to be doing yoga, even without the heat,

Damaris - I hope you get a run in later.  Good luck with the doctors.

Bin - hope you feel better soon.  Good luck to your wife.  That has to be hard, after all this time with the kids.

Jack - is your wife excited about starting marathon training for her first?  I would be.  Scared too though.  How is the foot?

SO42 - do you think a walk/run would work better for getting through the race instead of just running until you can't run any more?  Sorry it hurts so much.

Kristin - be careful driving in the snow.

Cherie - good job on the cross training.

Awood - I know with smoking there is actually a metabolic change when you quit.  Nicotine seems to rev up the metabolism a bit, so gaining weight after you quit is normal.  But the body does get used to the difference and the weight should come off again, especially if you're running.  Some of your hunger may be the increase in miles.  It certainly makes me more hungry when I do more miles.

AFM:  I woke to about 4 inches of very wet heavy snow.  After walking Ben we cleared the driveway, which used up all my energy for the day.  I got a very good back and arm workout.  Tomorrow night is supposed to bring an ice storm - I'm really not looking forward to that one.

Dad on the run.

Hello Penguins!! Work today is been chaos, just now having a slow moment so thought I would hop on and say hi!

I ran 8 miles lastnight @ 10:32m/m! My hamstrings were beyond stiff afterwards though and took quite a while to get them worked back out so that I could at least touch my toes. Might grab a few tonight, haven't really decided yet.

Me and some guys started a weightloss team for the 2014 Roll back alabama weight loss program/game. You have to lose 10lbs in 10 weeks or something like that. I'm down 2.4 since last monday so go me! Also just for shits and giggles we decided on Weapons of Ass Reduction as our team name, lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

Weapons of ass reduction. That's funny. Should win something for best team name.

SO42, that sucks about your ITB I dealt with ITB 4 times now. It's so frustrating because one run will go well and the next is like an ice pick to the knee. It's so sporadic.  I think your plan is a good one.

Ginny, boo on the ice storms. Hate those cause that's when you lose power and that's not fun at all! Stay warm.

Bin, hope the fever is gone.

jack, have fun coaching your wife. What happened with the student you surprised?

dam, hope the appt goes well. How long will you be non-running?

cherie n Scotty enjoy your rest day

awood, great job on quitting the tobacco. Hang in there. Tough!

Kristin, sorry about your cousin :-(

obie, please stick around. I do and

im constantly injured.

So after 10 days of no runs due to strep, a sinus Infection and bronchitis (good gawd) I was

FINALLY able to run today. A slow 3 miles on the TM at the gym. Yay!!!

It was great!  I did some planks aand dead lifts too.

~~~~~~~

Traci

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Ginny: Yeah I plan to walk/run the race. I had already been experimenting with 5/1 run/walk intervals on my long runs and had pretty good success. I recovered quicker and it didn't really affect my overall pace much. I've thrown all my time goals out the window and I'll be happy to just finish upright.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and listening to me whine like a little girl 

Dad on the run.

Ginny: Yeah I plan to walk/run the race. I had already been experimenting with 5/1 run/walk intervals on my long runs and had pretty good success. I recovered quicker and it didn't really affect my overall pace much. I've thrown all my time goals out the window and I'll be happy to just finish upright.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and listening to me whine like a little girl 

Apparently you haven't been around when I get injured Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Amazonian Princess

Hello! Just a quick check in since I'm at work and need to set a good example for my staff

Been working at extending my "long run" using run/walk intervals and completed six miles at 6 run: 1 walk on Saturday feeling really good! It's a small achievement, but I'm giddy that I'm consistently under 15 min and I had negative splits even with a headwind and going slightly uphill after the turnaround   My New Year's resolution was to stop comparing myself to others, but I think I might be better off with "I'm slow and I own it"!

Have a great day/evening!

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry your cousin's wife is not doing well, Kristin.  Best wishes.

7.2 street miles.  Felt good, but my old size 12's, the toe warmers and slush felt like leg weights.  But at least we got a long short run (or is it a short long run) done.  The streets are clear, but they plow the snow to side where we run.

Docket_Rocket

Yay, Traci.

Sorry to hear that, Kristin.

She Can, yes and no.  Started the marathon but bailed at Mile 8.  I am not sorry I did.

Back from the hospital. All is set to go forward for next week.  I am glad since I now look 4-6 months pregnant and this thing needs to go soon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Update: she is now experiencing something called stress cardiomyopathy, which is apparently not uncommon when someone who has experienced severe acute physical stress such as stroke or seizure. It is when the heart is flooded with adrenaline and it causes the muscles to weaken and have symptoms similar to a heart attack. The good news is that the condition is often temporary and while it can be severe and life threatening, often it is not and resolves fairly quickly. Prayers that this is the case. They have been unable to perform surgery another day because of this.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: Is DW excited? Nah, not really. I am, but her concern is finding the time to train. She will do great, I'm sure, and I will certainly push her. I am proud of her and I think she will get her goal.

Ginny: The PF is strange. Last week it flared up in a bad way. That last two days I have not felt a thing! I know at some point it will flare up again, at least that has been the pattern, but I "think" that it is getting better.

Traci:  I showed up at the party and the poor kid's cheeks were as red as his 49er's jersey. He was happy I was there. I also had his two older brothers in class two and six years ago so I saw them as well. I had a slice and a soda with them and went on to the party where DW and the kids were. The kid's parents offered me a beer but that would have been awkward. Not a good idea.

5 miles done. Today I did not look at my watch once and tried to run easy. It ended up being an 8:30 pace. It felt easy, but that was too fast.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks guys!  I have a 5K Saturday, and just realized today that we have another 6-10 inches of snow coming.  We've had over 80 inches already this winter.  This is a crazy winter, I'm telling you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Jack, check your FB, I put a couple links for the PF night splints.

I got 6.5 miles after work today.