Beginners and Beyond

A marathon on every continent (Read 91 times)

Antipodean

Wow, that kid is amazing. But it is a bit scary what she's doing ... competing in so many marathons at such a young age, living away from home at such as young age. I wouldn't want my daughter to be doing those things at only 14.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Docket_Rocket

Awesome.  This is something I would love to do.  Amazing that he is so young and already doing this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

There is a 9 year old who lives in the Philadelphia area not far from me trying to do the same thing - run on every continent.  He recently completed the Antartica marathon, although it was funny how they did it.  He ran part on Antartica, but weather forced them to leave the continent, a day or so later they finished the race in Chile.  Apparently this is ok according to the rules.  Here is the link to his quest to be come the youngest for the same thing, all part of the Seven Continent Challenge.

Damaris - talk to your DH about this challenge, lol Smile

GC100k

$he'$ $o amazing.  I wonder how $he doe$ it.

xor

There is a 9 year old who lives in the Philadelphia area not far from me trying to do the same thing - run on every continent.  He recently completed the Antartica marathon, although it was funny how they did it.  He ran part on Antartica, but weather forced them to leave the continent, a day or so later they finished the race in Chile.  Apparently this is ok according to the rules.  Here is the link to his quest to be come the youngest for the same thing, all part of the Seven Continent Challenge.

It is ok per that group's rules, but not everyone is ok with it, so apparently at least one different group has popped up with slightly different rules.  Not unlike the faux drama that erupts regularly in the maniacs and half fanatics regarding 'what counts'.

My opinion on this stuff has swungswingedswang back and forth over the years.  I doubt anyone much cares what I think.  And it'll change.   Regardless of age, visiting every single continent is a pretty cool thing that most people on earth will never get the opportunity to do.  And those with the means to take the opportunity/make it a priority - well, most of those won't either.  Really small group.  Running a "race" there is the icing on the cake.  (Race in quotes because when it comes to antarctica, "shit happens" weatherwise)

Docket_Rocket

Doh.  You have stated the obvious.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

So far in my lofty quest to run a marathon in every state in New England, I have knocked Connecticut and Rhode Island off the list.

That girl needs to be careful with the skiing though.  I hear ski injuries can really put a damper on your running.

<3

Philliefan33

My brother-in-law was on the same trip as the 9-year old from Philadelphia.  BIL's take on the situation is that the kid's dad is much more interested in the kid meeting the challenge than the kid is in meeting the challenge.

There were some good runners on the trip, which was organized expressly to provide races (marathon and HM) on South America and Antarctica.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think her reason for doing it is just as amazing as being able to do it. She has a very good heart and good head on her shoulders, I can only hope to raise my son with that much dedication to things he loves and enjoys.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

seems like as good a method as any to cope with the loss of a parent. and she's raising prostate cancer awareness to boot.

#artbydmcbride

So far in my lofty quest to run a marathon in every state in New England, I have knocked Connecticut and Rhode Island off the list.

There are 13 of them, right?

Runners run

Hip Redux

6... or 5.5 depending on how you count RI.

GC100k

BIL's take on the situation is that the kid's dad is much more interested in the kid meeting the challenge than the kid is in meeting the challenge.

When this girl started doing triathlons at age 5, years before her dad was diagnosed, she didn't just head out on her own volition.

Dr. Cornsitter

You're thinking of the original colonies. But only some of those makeup what we call the Northeast region. And only some of those states make up New England.

But we're all Massholes.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.