Beginners and Beyond

Tired Tuesday Penguins (Read 6 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Ben isn't waking us up in the middle of the night any more, but he did start whining early this morning. He didn't need to go out, he was just hungry.  I think chicken and rice doesn't fill him up as well.

Z - Good luck keeping your pup quiet while waiting for the surgery.  Labs are good at ignoring pain. I hope the surgery does take care of her limp.

Docket_Rocket

My cats didn't let me sleep and the jetlag didn't either.  Pilates in 15 minutes, a massage, and maybe a short run.

Ginny, did you see the profile I posted of the race?  For me, that felt hard. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny -- glad Ben is feeling better!!

Zelanie -- sending good vibes for Zoe!!

Docket -- welcome home!!  Our cats always keep us up after a trip too, I guess they want to make sure we're actually there.

AFM, I am battling dragons again today.  Got a call from the service rep, so that ball is rolling.  Fire safety guy had an issue with my strung-across-the-room internet cable.  I asked him for suggestions.  He didn't have any.  So I'm going to make things up as I go ... at least it'll be different when he comes to check again.  Then I need to go check on my secondary air handler -- it's perfectly cool in the lab, but maybe that's because two of my pumps are still off.

I'm beginning to think keeping a bottle of whiskey in my desk would be a good thing. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

HsM, sounds like a mess!

D- 3 hours east is a rough adjustment.

Ginny- Thanks. Over the weekend it was super easy to keep her quiet. She was hurting. Now it seems like she's getting used to it so she's been getting her ball out, etc. But her leg is bad enough that she's really not trying to use it much. She lets us lift her into the car and stuff like that.

Taking it easy this morning for the first time in forever. I have a summer school meeting this afternoon. Then I will run 4 this evening.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the service rep was able to talk me through a fix, so that's all kinds of good news.  That was the biggest dragon I was fighting, so now I can go knock down the smaller ones. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

D - I think the elevation issue is made worse by the placement: early in the race when you're fresh, so you wear yourself out with the first climb, and then at the end when you're exhausted. Not fair! The little rollers wouldn't be so bad, but those three at the end - ouch!

Docket_Rocket

Yeah. I swear Miles 18-23 were uphill. I am sure there was some downhills but my legs didn't feel it. I ran hard the last 1.5 miles up and down. One guy later told me he tried to catch me to no avail. But when we turned back at Mile 23 I wS like thankfully!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

i ended up running 4 with the beer runners. Temps were in the mid-80s, but humidity was low so it didn't feel that bad, plus it was a bit windy and there was some nice shade at 6 pm.

Docket_Rocket

I also ran 4. Wish I was with Ginny and those beer group runners.

Damaris

Fundraising Page