Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Clark Funday Sunday 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 21st race of 2015 and my third race of the April 25th - April 26th weekend.  Held on April 26, the Clark Funday Sunday 5K supports San Antonio's Clark High School band and athletics.  Just the night before this event I had done the Fiesta Fandango 2.6 mile fun run along the Fiesta Flambeau parade route.  That  run started at 6:20 pm. and by the time we runners started it was 93 degrees in downtown San Antonio.  I think this took a bit of a toll on me for the Sunday Funday 5K, because I felt like I did not feel like I had my usual race energy.  It probably did not help, either, that before the Fandango, I'd also done a pretty hilly 5K on Saturday morning in the La Cantera Parkway area.  So this 5K on Sunday was my 3rd event of the weekend.  Consequently, I walked quite a bit of this course and ended up with a finish time of 39:57, which is pretty slow for me, as I usually do a 5K in 33 - 35 minutes.  Even so, it was all good, a nice course through a lovely area - Shavano Park - of wide streets, shade trees, and beautiful homes.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Arrived with about 45 minutes to start time and got some pre-start photos.

photo 003_zpsezcsojdz.jpg

photo 005_zpsihrw5n7x.jpg

photo 006_zpstgi2bqap.jpg

photo 007_zpsnxjkpn4c.jpg

Race day registration volunteers.  I think I had my color-setting on my camera off a few times...the race shirts the ladies are wearing and that participants got are actually a very bright orange.

photo 008_zps6jezvst9.jpg

photo 009_zpsclhkqosd.jpg

photo 010_zpsrp5kiash.jpg

photo 012_zpslm8voaod.jpg

Me with the lovely Sonia, Race Director

photo 013_zpswthjxrxm.jpg

photo 015_zpsdosnyfy1.jpg

photo 016_zpspb2koet4.jpg

photo 017_zpsaeiuprpm.jpg

Warmup...

photo 018_zpslsnb6xhc.jpg

photo 019_zpss1v61nvw.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 021_zpsy2p54jan.jpg

On the Course

As said, did not feel energized; so subsequently took a few more on-course photos. Shavano Park is a beautiful little incorporated city surrounded by City of San Antonio city limits.   I work at nearby University of Texas at San Antonio and often stop on the way home from work to get a run in through this area.   Lots of beautiful homes, friendly residents, and nice wide streets to run on.

photo 023_zpsjvoagfbc.jpg

photo 024_zpsvx6lxy9o.jpg

Oh yay, hill that we have to go UP on the return trip..

photo 025_zpsljfwcal6.jpg

photo 026_zpssrp3amt8.jpg

photo 027_zpspka9hszp.jpg

photo 028_zpseplo3kk2.jpg

photo 029_zpsop2wfdoa.jpg

Nice houses in this area..

photo 030_zpsljppbhsv.jpg

photo 031_zpsuo8qqkjl.jpg

Lovely place to run, lots of room...

photo 032_zpshzpjqwco.jpg

photo 034_zpsuto05yvs.jpg

here we go...up the hill now...

photo 035_zpsth7btbn7.jpg

photo 036_zpsvvgotsqg.jpg

About 1/2 mile to go...

photo 037_zpsn2dkf73y.jpg

photo 038_zps6flsxnws.jpg

After I finished, 3 different people told me the course was long - 3.3 miles instead of 3.1.  This actually made me feel better, lol, as slow as I was running, so my result was not quite as bad as I originally thought. 

After the Finish

Awards were given to first place finishers - this is a small race with a limited budget, so I get that - and I didn't even come close to that, lol. So I just concentrated on letting my tired legs relax a bit while I enjoyed some of the race goodies, and then got some post-race photos.

Post-race goodies

photo 001_zpsclerxim5.jpg

photo 002_zpseyrlejtz.jpg

photo 040_zps1yl0g134.jpg

Me relaxing with the Roadrunner post-race.  Which I thought was quite appropriate as the team name of the university I work for is Roadrunners.

photo 054_zps02elourg.jpg

"Happy Finishers", supporters, etc...  I call them 'happy finishers" because more people are smiling post-race than before or during the race. 

photo 039_zpstoesvj7e.jpg

This lady on the right told me they were her 2 kids;  uh huh;  I think more like younger brother and sister... 

photo 041_zpsdvfzvpgf.jpg

photo 042_zps8d1ftrxf.jpg

photo 043_zpstwlfom9j.jpg

photo 044_zpsscwcf99q.jpg

Sonia and "Mr. Results"  (sorry, I'm having a memory lapse on his name).  They both stood there and cheered every single runner and walker in, and Sonia took photos of them.  Now that's some RD support!

Me and friend, Phil, who is much speedier than me.  We both had bad running days today, neither of us placed. I did not expect to, but Phil usually does place.  Sigh.   It's hell getting old...  

Our results guy and timer, from rpptiming.

photo 048_zpsjdsjzuis.jpg

photo 049_zpskozf1uoh.jpg

photo 050_zpsudqs86e0.jpg

photo 051_zpswp7etkpf.jpg

Music Man

photo 052_zpsz7fjxztx.jpg

photo 055_zps4mfo9lzs.jpg

So if you've eve wondered what the Dali Lama does incognito to relax....     ...this is a very nice gentleman, I had a nice chat with him post-race...

photo 056_zpsvxlynvcm.jpg

photo 057_zpsp5e8xlld.jpg

The school mascot Cougarette

photo 058_zpsxbuwnlha.jpg

photo 068_zpsljs0ngnv.jpg

My competition in my age group of 60+...and first place finisher.  Very nice guy.

photo 060_zpslglizbbh.jpg

photo 064_zpscbvalra2.jpg

Speedy guys!  They were already heading back to the finish before I even got to the halfway point, lol.

photo 061_zpswvmtf6no.jpg

photo 062_zpsucke6alx.jpg

photo 066_zps5hhyyep0.jpg

photo 067_zps82ka8wkt.jpg

Nice to be young and flexible.  At my age, if I tried to sit like that, I'd hurt something... 

photo 063_zpsrsbhfgmr.jpg

Shavano Park police officers who were out there for us doing traffic control and keeping us safe.  Thanks guys!

photo 065_zpswyznmbwh.jpg

EPILOG

Small event but always fun.  Race Director Sonia and her crew know how to throw a party.    Nice course  - in spite of the hill that was thrown in this year - some tasty post-race goodies, music entertainment, very friendly crowd of participants, nice race shirts.  This event is definitely worth putting onto your race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RabbitChaser

You're a racing machine, Scotty!  Nice job on your 3rd race of the weekend.

GinnyinPA

Small race but a lot of food.  I can see walking those hills after all the previous running this weekend.

Those orange warmup people look like they were about to do the macarena.

LRB

Can Scotty haz a beer? You poor thing, you must have been so disappointed. lol