Beginners and Beyond

Fremescent Friday Penguins (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sounds like you need the rest, Damaris.  You have been making a heck of a comeback since your surgery.

Good luck with the LR tomorrow, Jack.  Hope your 5 miles is pain-free too!

Have fun with the bike race Mitch!

Cherie/Ginny:  Well, our population is 1.383 million people. Out of that maybe about 15 - 20 percent are probably REGULARLY active (exercise at least 3 - 5 times a week).  Also, this is a big military retiree town and according to the San Antonio Institute of Longevity and Aging at University of Texas Health Science Center, a little more than 10% of our population is age 60 and older, so that can make a difference too, probably.   Also, our biggest ethnicity group here is Hispanic, which tends to have a high rate of diabetes for a variety of reasons.  Overall, according to the Texas Institute of Diabetes located here,  San Antonio's diabetic population is 14%, which is twice the national average of 7%.   So due to a whole lot of factors - including all the good but not so healthy food we have available to us and just plain laziness on some peoples' part - it's not surprising we are not one of the most fit cities in the US.

Happy rest day, SheCan...hope all your people show up!

Glad you are feeling better, Awood!

Congrats on the intervals, PAD.

Good luck with your race, Zelanie, and hope your team kicks bot!

Enjoy your run later, Ginny.  If it's a warm rain and not a pouring one, then go run outside in it.  Rain running can be fun.

diabetic population stands at over 14% which is double the national average of 7%. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/local-offices/san-antonio-texas/#sthash.EBFNT9Xc.dpuf

diabetic population stands at over 14% which is double the national average of 7%. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/local-offices/san-antonio-texas/#sthash.EBFNT9Xc.dpuf

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Ginny: Last night was better but only because I loosened it a bit. I made it through the entire night without taking it off. It is the weirdest thing; even though I loosened it I was still feeling a bit anxious, as though I was trapped. I don't like that feeling.  I have had that feeling one other time in my life. I was playing drums in a studio and my earplug moved way down in one of my ears. I couldn't get it out and I started to freak out. I ran into the booth and the engineer used some needle nose pliers to get it out. Man, I hate that feeling.  Tonight I will cinch it down a bit and give it another go.

Just reading about it makes me feel claustrophobic!  I sure hope it gets better for you.  Sad

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from Jack K. on 4/11/2014 at 12:26 PM:

Ginny: Last night was better but only because I loosened it a bit. I made it through the entire night without taking it off. It is the weirdest thing; even though I loosened it I was still feeling a bit anxious, as though I was trapped. I don't like that feeling.  I have had that feeling one other time in my life. I was playing drums in a studio and my earplug moved way down in one of my ears. I couldn't get it out and I started to freak out. I ran into the booth and the engineer used some needle nose pliers to get it out. Man, I hate that feeling.  Tonight I will cinch it down a bit and give it another go.

Jack:  You just need more practice.  After having 4 knee surgeries over the years and having to sleep in casts and/or braces multiple times, braces don't bother me at all.  So you just need to have a few surgeries that require braces... and you'll get the hang of it in no time! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Friday Penguins!

I got in 3.3 miles this morning.  It has been a tiring week at work but it did feel good to run this morning!

Running the Blessing of the Feet 5K Saturday morning.  This will be the 3rd weekend in a row racing.  This race is the kickoff to the Blessing of the Fleet weekend in Darien, Georgia.  Looking forward to running through the historic district of this Coastal Georgia town

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Good luck to all our weekend racers:  Scotty, Robert, Mitch, Melanie and Kristin.  Anybody else?

Zelanie

Our robot is in 8th place out of 62 after the first day. Back again tomorrow. Good luck to the other racers!