Beginners and Beyond

Luke's Run the Line HM RR (Read 109 times)

Luke79

Let's cut to the chase here folks.  1:59:45!!!!!!!!!!!  9:08 pace.

I am so freakin happy, I wanted that really bad and I got it...and it was hard as hell.

I made friends with the 2:00 pacer immediately before the race started.  He told me he was going to run about a 9:00 pace so that the group could walk the water stations.  That sounded good to me.  Once we were off, I said by to my faster friend and stuck with the pacer.  I stayed right with him.

There were about 4 or 5 other guys that stayed in our little pack for a long time.  Somewhere around mile 9-10, this older guy that was with us said he felt awful.  I did too, but I didn't quite let on how bad it was.  My hip flexor was killing me (right side), but my foot was holding up just fine.  So the guy ended up falling back and I never saw him again.

Around mile 11, I started to feel horrible.  I was in a bad place and was giving everything I had to keep the pace, but the group with whom I had shared so many miles with was starting to slip away.  I kept them in my sights from a distance.

Sometime around mile 12.5, I was in a very dark place mentally, and here comes my faster friend.  I told him how bad I wanted to stop and grabbed his shoulder.  He gave me a lot of encouragement at a time when it was badly needed.  When I turned that last corner and saw the finish line, the clock said 1:59Tight lippedx.  I took off like a bat out of hell.

I achieved my goal and it felt SO GOOD.  I'm so happy about this, even though I can't fucking walk lol.  I look like a cripple right now.

I'll try to find a pic to post for you guys, thanks for reading and for your words of encouragement leading up to this.  I appreciate you guys.

hog4life

Congrats Luke!

LRB

Congrats to you Mr. Skywalker!

I have been in that dark place.  It's dark!  Yet, you toughed it out and brought it on home!

Float on my brotha, float on!

runmomto3boys

Congratulations, Luke!!!  You cracked the 2:00 mark - how awesome is that?!?!?!?!!  I am so freaking happy for you!!!  You pushed through some tough stuff including the hip business to get it done.  Your friend who encouraged you at the very end just rocks!  You really, really did an incredible job!!!!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congrats, dude! You should be so proud! Pain is temporary. Smile Go get a beer. You freakin earned it.

Misty

I am SO excited for you!!!! I've been in that dark place too, it sucks. But you showed some major badass-edness (a word I made up just for you!) by keeping pace through the tough miles. It would have been so easy to surrender to it; but you didn't and you MET YOUR GOAL!! What an awesome feeling!! Congrats, Luke- you earned that elation you're feeling right now Smile

Misty

Bless your heart.

Luke79

Thanks guys.  Again, I sincerely appreciate the encouragement and feedback you guys provide.  I'm a better runner for it.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

NIIICCCEEE.  That's such great work to stick it out when you're not feeling well, and the fact that you met your goal has to make all of that pain well worth it.  Besides, since people will probably ask why you're walking so funny you'll just have more chances to tell them you ran a freaking sub-2!  I'm glad you had a good pacer that helped get you to your goal too.  Keep up the great running!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Zelanie

Fantastic job getting that sub-2!  I will have to remember for my race that even if it *feels* terrible the last couple of miles, it can still be done!

happylily

I'm so very very happy to have read your RR, Luke! You raced that half that like a champ! A race shouldn't feel easy, ever, and it's a great sign that you had to reach deep within yourself to find the will to hang on. And you did it! You hung on to the very end, excellent! It means all kinds of good things about your running, really. I'm very proud of you and I can't wait to read more RRs from you. This one was great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Luke79

Fantastic job getting that sub-2!  I will have to remember for my race that even if it *feels* terrible the last couple of miles, it can still be done!

Your body is saying...just stop, I can't do this.  But if you just keep going, you don't die....you just keep going.

Zelanie

Your body is saying...just stop, I can't do this.  But if you just keep going, you don't die....you just keep going.

I really have to remember this.  It sounds like both you and Mitch had that experience today, but you both finished well.

Ball of Fury

Congratulations!!!  Nice job pushimg through the dark place to meet your goal!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Better I Leave

Let's cut to the chase here folks.  1:59:45!!!!!!!!!!!  9:08 pace.

Nice. Congrats. I'm looking forward to the day I see something like that. Well done buddy.

Way to push thru Luke. Great Job!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott