Beginners and Beyond

Advice on using a 5K as speedwork (Read 73 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So I wasn't going to do another race until my May 19th 10K (which is my spring "goal race") but I just found out that on this coming Sunday there will be a 5K at a park 4 miles from my apartment that I love to run in. So few races that are in NYC are actually close by to me, most are at least an hour by subway, so I like to take advantage when possible of when races are actually near my apartment. Instead of trying for a 5K PR, however, I think I want to use the race as part of a 6 mile run I have on the schedule, and maybe test out the pace I want to be able to maintain during my upcoming 10K. What would be the best way to do that?

A) Run 1.5 miles easy right before start to warm up, run the 5K at my hopeful 10K pace, then 1.5 miles to cool down after I cross the finish....so basically a tempo run

B) Run 3 miles easy before the race then run the 5K at 10K pace, essentially trying to maintain the 10K pace I want after already running for awhile

C) Run 3 miles before the race easy, but each mile a little faster, and then run the 5K contiuing the progression and the last mile of it at 10K pace

D) Something I haven't thought of

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

What is the start-line situation like? Would you have a problem running and then standing around for 20 minutes while you wait for the race to start?

Personally, I'd do three miles easy and then treat it as a 5K tempo run, plus a very short cool-down after.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

delicate flower

What I would do.....

I don't like to sign up for races if I can't race them.  I find the competitive atmosphere and race vibe too energizing to keep it reeled in.  I'd make sure to practice my 10K pace in training.  I'd sign up for the 5K and give it my all.  It would only help my 10K training and full recovery is only a few days.

Now given the scenario below, if I were to use the 5K as a training run, I'd do a one mile warmup (standard for me), do the race at a steady pace, and do a two mile cooldown immediately after.   My legs would not be happy if I ran three miles before a race, even if the race is not full race effort.  But, each person is different and you need to experiment to find what works for you.

<3

Love the Half

First, let me say that I'd race it and can't see a reason not to race it.  Between an adequate warm up of 2 miles and a cool down of 1 mile, you'll still get your six miles in.  Plus, you'll get the physiological benefit of adaptation after pushing your body that hard.  So go race.  Being a slave to the schedule can hold you back in this instance.

If, for whatever reason, you choose not to race, then I like Adam's suggestion.  Run 3 miles easy and then run the race at 10K pace.  Bear in mind that 10K pace isn't a heck of a lot slower than 5K pace.  We're only talking about 20 seconds or so difference.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Resident Historian

^
            What LTH said, in that order.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

happylily

^
              What LTH said, in that order.

I agree with Longboat agreeing with LTH. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Your goal race is a full two weeks out, I would race the 5k at 5k pace provided your weekly mileage supports doing so.

In my ideal pre-race scenario, I run easy for 2 miles, then run two to three minutes at tempo pace (which is a little faster than 10k pace), then do a series of 10 to 15 second strides with 30 second recoveries.

That warm up covers about 3 miles for me, I then run the race and do a cool down run of about a half mile to up to 2 miles.

In any event, I do not think you will do any harm to your goal 10k running the race however you choose to run it.

Docket_Rocket

I would do 3 miles as a warmup and the 5K as fast as you can.  I agree with LTH.  You'll have enough time to recover before your 10K.  And running it at 5K will give you a better gauge of your progress than running 3 miles @ 10K pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

you can listen to the experienced people with good advice or listen to me.

mile 1 - warm up

mile 2 - run fast

mile 3 - cool down

coast the last .1

find the free beer and take some pictures Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

workinprogress11

I agree with all the people agreeing with each other about doing the 2 mile warm up, racing the 5k and doing a 1 mile cooldown.  You've got plenty of time to recover and it can help you zero in on an appropriate pace for your 10k.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

delicate flower

So we all agree that Kristin will be racing the 5K at 5K race effort this weekend.  It's settled then.

<3

LRB

So we all agree that Kristin will be racing the 5K at 5K race effort this weekend.  It's settled then.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

LRB

So let it be written, so let it be done.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh ok what the hell. I'm racing the thing!!!! Thanks guys!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

For what it's worth, I affirm your decision!  I find it's really mentally valuable to race races--it makes it so the race is the stimulus to run your hardest, like a conditioned response.  After all, race effort is good training for race effort--maybe even more than race pace, know what I mean?

Knock 'em dead.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb