Beginners and Beyond

Saturday, January 30 (Read 38 times)

LRB

No idea why they call to tell you your car is ready at service only for you to get here and oh, it's been washed for the last 30 fucking minutes. Why don't you call me when it's really ready?

Write a scathing review on Google.

onemile

Tough, but I think I could have ran 6 more and not faded too bad. 

It should feel much easier on race day. Provided you are well tapered and carb loaded. You might surprise yourself.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Write a scathing review on Google.

It's the only Lincoln in this whole tri county area and it's within running distance from my house. It is also not like this normally. Don't want to piss them off. They apologize, at least, but sheesh.

Damaris

LRB

14 miles of FTS.  I had a bad run.

Eat more carbs.

LRB

It's the only Lincoln in this whole tri county area and it's within running distance from my house. It is also not like this normally. Don't want to piss them off. They apologize, at least, but sheesh.

Buy a Cadillac. 

LRB

In completely useless news; I just peeled and ate an orange. From start to finish it took a little less than three minutes. Big grin

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I did an 8 mile trail run this morning with wife and a local running group. It was fun and I might run with them more often, mainly my long runs. Mile 5 was tough because there was about 625' of elevation gain. It didn't seem that steep going down but coming up I had to walk some bits. I followed that up with a hard core workout and I am now following that up with some time in my comfy chair.  Have a good weekend.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

In completely useless news; I just peeled and ate an orange. From start to finish it took a little less than three minutes. Big grin

Thanks for sharing. Smile

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

It should feel much easier on race day. Provided you are well tapered and carb loaded. You might surprise yourself.

I am still trying to plan the taper.  I figure another 15 with HMP miles Tuesday, and one more 20-22 next Saturday.  I'm not sure after that.  Maybe one day I will follow a plan so I don't have to think so much.  I'd take advice as specific as anyone wanted to give as well .

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

I am still trying to plan the taper.  I figure another 15 with HMP miles Tuesday, and one more 20-22 next Saturday.  I'm not sure after that.  Maybe one day I will follow a plan so I don't have to think so much.  I'd take advice as specific as anyone wanted to give as well .

Sorry, beginner here. I have tapered only once and was following a plan, so didn't have to think.

Cyberic

Double post

onemile

What is the date of your race?  The taper is not just about your last long run.  It's about allowing your body to recover a bit more than usual so your legs feel good on race day.

I like a 2 week taper. I do not decrease the frequency (number of running days) or intensity (keep doing workouts, don't just run easy) but shorten each of your runs slightly.  I ran all 6 days the week of my last race.  With 5 miles easy the day before the race.  I think cutting back too much makes my body go into rest mode (sluggish).  A lot of people throw in extra rest days and unless you are dealing with an injury or illness, I think it's better to keep your body in your usual routine.  In the week before the race, I want to keep marathon pace familiar. I usually do something like 12 with 2x4 miles at MP one week out and then the week of, something like 7-8 miles with 4 miles at MP.

It's kind of individual and experience helps.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Thanks onemile!

Runner with a riding problem.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

What is the date of your race?  The taper is not just about your last long run.  It's about allowing your body to recover a bit more than usual so your legs feel good on race day.

I like a 2 week taper. I do not decrease the frequency (number of running days) or intensity (keep doing workouts, don't just run easy) but shorten each of your runs slightly.  I ran all 6 days the week of my last race.  With 5 miles easy the day before the race.  I think cutting back too much makes my body go into rest mode (sluggish).  A lot of people throw in extra rest days and unless you are dealing with an injury or illness, I think it's better to keep your body in your usual routine.  In the week before the race, I want to keep marathon pace familiar. I usually do something like 12 with 2x4 miles at MP one week out and then the week of, something like 7-8 miles with 4 miles at MP.

I do not decrease the frequency (number of running days) or intensity (keep doing workouts, don't just run easy) but shorten each of your runs slightly.  

There are certainly a lot of opinions on the subject. The first sentence above is the generally accepted philosophy; the second sentence is the main caveat.

I am not permitted to give marathon advice in this forum. Except to tell you not to get a knee injury or an asthma attack in the final week before your race.

Dave