Beginners and Beyond

Oh yeah ... first destination race coming right up! (Read 84 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I was pretty pumped on Monday - I found out that I was picked in the lottery for the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon in Duluth, MN this summer. The Marathon that's part of it is Grandma's Marathon. It's also the Marathon Championship for the USATF for MN. Good racing, great views of Lake Superior, definitely one that I needed to run.

Then I ran in to an issue that I'm sure almost every person struggles with - booking a room. I fire up the ol' laptop and I start cruising through the hotel listings. Full. Full. Full. What the? Then I check the Grandma's website again - oooooooh, Marathoners don't have a lottery and probably booked before me. Ok, then I'll start going out of town. 20 miles out, 4 hotels - booked. (I should say technically I could get in to a queen-sized bed for 2 nights @ $209/night - but I'm too thrifty to do that.)

So now I think I finally have dialed it in - I'll take a room at a local college for $100 for the one night and just drive over to one of the places where a shuttle picks up the racers (all racers must take a shuttle to the start line). I just wanted to express how shocked I was that places were booked so far in advance. I'm also a bit alarmed at how high the prices for the rooms went. I know it's the nature of the beast, as supply and demand goes, but dang! If you wanted to make a family weekend out of something like a destination race you'd be hard pressed not to lay down some decent cash.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!  I love destination races.  The different routes, the race, the FEs!

I always book at the last minute.  I booked Berlin within 2 weeks prior to the race without a problem.  I've never had a problem finding a room with expedia, but I've never stayed within 1/2 of the starting line (wtihin 3/4 of a mile instead).  Unfortunately, I suspect Chicago will be a problem for me since it must be full and I have not even started looking for hotels.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So now I think I finally have dialed it in - I'll take a room at a local college for $100 for the one night and just drive over to one of the places where a shuttle picks up the racers (all racers must take a shuttle to the start line). I just wanted to express how shocked I was that places were booked so far in advance. I'm also a bit alarmed at how high the prices for the rooms went. I know it's the nature of the beast, as supply and demand goes, but dang! If you wanted to make a family weekend out of something like a destination race you'd be hard pressed not to lay down some decent cash.

Congrats on getting in. I'll be running it this year again (I ran it last year as well). I'm "local" (Minneapolis area) but I'll be staying up there with my family.

1. High hotel prices for this race have been the #1 complaint for years. Not to mention most hotels require a two night stay. If it weren't for how well they put on a race weekend (5K, half, full, parties in Canal Park, etc.) coupled with the really pretty course it wouldn't be this way. Plus, a lot of people do bring families and friends to this one so everything does fill up quickly and in advance.

2. The rooms/apartments at UM-Duluth usually get very nice reviews. I know a number of people staying there and do so based on past good experiences.

Good luck!

runmomto3boys

Congrats on getting in!!!  I have heard that the hotels up there are pricey and about the minimum stay requirements.  I'm glad you found a solution, though!  Good luck with your training!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks for the well-wishes! Fuzzy, I'm staying at UWS because they offer single night accommodations, and UMD and St. Scholastia requires a 2 night stay. Hopefully the rooms are just as nice across the border. Smile

- Andrew

Dr. Cornsitter

Congratulations!

I, too am a thrifty shopper. I don't know your personal preference or how much of an adventurer you are, but I have plans to camp out at a race this summer in upstate NY. We have a family pop-up camper (so luckily I will have a bed to sleep in) and generally you can find a campground near most destinations (there is a whole underground world of travelers who exclusively camp versus stay in hotels). If you don't have a problem camping and getting enough rest while doing so, you might have better luck $$- and distance-wise.

Good luck!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congratulations!

I, too am a thrifty shopper. I don't know your personal preference or how much of an adventurer you are, but I have plans to camp out at a race this summer in upstate NY. We have a family pop-up camper (so luckily I will have a bed to sleep in) and generally you can find a campground near most destinations (there is a whole underground world of travelers who exclusively camp versus stay in hotels). If you don't have a problem camping and getting enough rest while doing so, you might have better luck $$- and distance-wise.

Good luck!

I do have a tent and I did consider this. I haven't booked my room yet. I have never slept in a tent and raced the next day. It actually fits with my schedule and my budget, so I'll give it more thought.

- Andrew

Dr. Cornsitter

I do have a tent and I did consider this. I haven't booked my room yet. I have never slept in a tent and raced the next day. It actually fits with my schedule and my budget, so I'll give it more thought.

There's a first time for everything! I've grown up camping and can sleep anywhere, anytime, so I know that camping out the night before a race wouldn't bother me. Just as long as you can rest properly, it's definitely a viable option. You could always get a inflatable mattress and test it out before a long run prior to committing to either a hotel or camping, to see how it affects your body. Uncomfortable or fatigue, hotel. Fine and dandy, camping it is!

Dreamn

Whenever I register for an out of town race, I book the hotel first, lottery or not.  They're the first things to sell out and can get pricey.  Most hotels don't take a deposit,  but even if they do and you book and aren't selected, you can always cancel and get a refund.

Congrats on getting in!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

There's a first time for everything! I've grown up camping and can sleep anywhere, anytime, so I know that camping out the night before a race wouldn't bother me. Just as long as you can rest properly, it's definitely a viable option. You could always get a inflatable mattress and test it out before a long run prior to committing to either a hotel or camping, to see how it affects your body. Uncomfortable or fatigue, hotel. Fine and dandy, camping it is!

Determined the SO isn't coming with, so I'm planning on camping! Now I just need to make a few phone calls and get a spot.

- Andrew

Dr. Cornsitter

Determined the SO isn't coming with, so I'm planning on camping! Now I just need to make a few phone calls and get a spot.

Good Luck!!!