Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 33 American Hero 25K Relay, 25K and 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252033%2520American%2520Hero%252025K%2520Relay%2520and%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 33rd race of 2019 was the American Hero Relay 25K, which also included a solo 5K, which is the event I did. The relay was teams of 5 runners, each doing 3.1 miles.  There were also participants that did the 25K solo.  Held on May 26 at Comanche Park in San Antonio.  They had a variety of divisions for this one, including a division for walkers, a division for wheelchairs, baby joggers, and so forth.  It seemed to me that the turnout for this one was a bit smaller than in past years, but that may be because this one was previously held at Texas A&M-San Antonio, which has lots more room than Comanche Park, so more parking there and more space for more people; but I personally thought the course is sure is better at Comanche Park; we were paved trails with lots of shade versus the open concrete roads at the university with no shade at all.  I really do not like that Texas A&M course at all, so was personally glad the race had moved to the park this year.   I arrived with about an hour or so to go to the start time and got a few photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_0143_zpsfnegmaod.jpg

Me, with some of the Beef team

photo IMG_0140_zps7sifi3y6.jpg

With friend Louis, who did the 25K solo

photo IMG_0148_zps4qcgnetk.jpg

Our music and sound man

photo IMG_0141_zpse0h6sqhe.jpg

Various

photo IMG_0142_zpsfbsoqjge.jpg

photo IMG_0144_zpsrlcruxmq.jpg

photo IMG_0145_zpsggysjnka.jpg

photo IMG_0146_zpsnuurkonk.jpg

photo IMG_0147_zps2po7xvna.jpg

photo IMG_0149_zpsfutbi3p1.jpg

photo IMG_0151_zps6hrxyb3a.jpg

photo IMG_0152_zps0bazgyj8.jpg

photo IMG_0153_zps7pwe9jfh.jpg

photo IMG_0154_zpsrhpcwco3.jpg

photo IMG_0156_zpsgfcrxkpa.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This event had an early start – 7:40 am or so – which was also nice. 5K and the solo 25k folks and the first leg folks of the relay all started together.  The solo 25K folks did 5 laps of the out-and-back course; we 5K folks, of course, just did one, as did each team member of the relay event. Pretty humid morning, with virtually no wind, and temps in the 70s already.  Course was nice and shady though and pretty flat for the most part, with just one small incline down on the way to the turn-round and up on the way back.  I think the worst thing on the course was the ‘bouncy bridge” that we crossed over twice. This thing bounced a lot when you ran over it – made me a bit dizzy, so I walked the darn thing for both crossings – and especially when several runners were on it at the same time. Other than that, pretty nicely laid out course.  I ended up with 34:14 finish time, good enough for 3rd in my age group of “Ultra Senior Master.”  Ultra Senior Master, lol, we old guys and gals.  Other divisions were Master and Senior Master and Elite Master, which was 70+.  Funny.

photo IMG_0157_zpsx6zpxep2.jpg

photo IMG_0158_zpszxbyh6w1.jpg

photo IMG_0159_zpszpypcjo8.jpg

Speedy 25K relay runner coming back already from the turn-round point

photo IMG_0160_zpsgjgxjtlj.jpg

Guy was a blur to me, lol

photo IMG_0161_zpsirm65lwp.jpg

The 2nd guy was pretty quick too

photo IMG_0162_zpshiwzc3va.jpg

Relay runners carried a baton, which had their timing chip inside it

photo IMG_0163_zpsdha98o6n.jpg

The bouncy bridge!  I had to walk across this thing, trying to run on it was making me dizzy..

photo IMG_0165_zpsqwptoujc.jpg

photo IMG_0166_zpsbjkqiv9i.jpg

photo IMG_0167_zpsjb7iig8a.jpg

These ladies walking to the turn-round point were also a blur.   I have such great camera skills.

photo IMG_0168_zpsrur2ayww.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Cool-down walk, hydrated a bit, enjoyed some of the post-race goodies, and also wandered around chatting with friends, cheering on other still on the course, and getting some photos.

Done!  Bernadette was on a relay team and did the 3rd leg

photo IMG_0171_zpsksgkfnmq.jpg

photo IMG_0169_zpsabikmgjr.jpg

My speedy friend here was one of the first ones done

photo IMG_0170_zpsn5jdlb7a.jpg

my friend, Woody, was first in our age group for the 5K

photo IMG_0173_zps75khne8v.jpg

iaap crew for timing, results, etc

photo IMG_0174_zpsdjc9dz1m.jpg

photo IMG_0175_zpstbagmuyf.jpg

photo IMG_0177_zpsrifikeks.jpg

photo IMG_0178_zpsdji54fwl.jpg

photo IMG_0179_zpseoptmgqm.jpg

photo IMG_0180_zpsip8qk2aa.jpg

photo IMG_0181_zpswzjp3zhz.jpg

photo IMG_0182_zpsid8n3e61.jpg

If you are in San Antonio for New Year's Day, come out and do this guy's La Cruda 5K.  Tony puts on a heck of a New Year's Day run.

photo IMG_0183_zpskcdraj6f.jpg

photo IMG_0184_zpskg2eubuw.jpg

photo IMG_0185_zpsd9dpazot.jpg

photo IMG_0186_zpszcukbqyn.jpg

photo IMG_0187_zpsptbfjfwb.jpg

photo IMG_0188_zpsrllmxyja.jpg

photo IMG_0190_zpsfyna8gkn.jpg

Coming into the finish

photo IMG_0189_zpsyphzodrc.jpg

photo IMG_0195_zpspxs3xqjh.jpg

photo IMG_0196_zpspdk90izf.jpg

photo IMG_0197_zpsl9zj3ltw.jpg

My friend here placed in the 5K

photo IMG_0191_zpssjbsjqyg.jpg

1st for Woody, 3rd for me....don't know what happened to 2nd place guy...

photo IMG_0192_zpskbsbt5h1.jpg

photo IMG_0193_zps8ltcjoge.jpg

photo IMG_0194_zpsz1p55obu.jpg

Louis, 25K solo finisher

photo IMG_0199_zpskpkefsnk.jpg

photo IMG_0198_zpsfzbb7ert.jpg

That hits the spot

photo IMG_0200_zpsgpotvnn2.jpg

photo IMG_0201_zpsosdvk8cc.jpg

photo IMG_0202_zpshnnwd29e.jpg

photo IMG_0203_zps0cswb7vb.jpg

"Bailey" chillin' out

photo IMG_0204_zpssmcbzlah.jpg

I am with him...nap time post event

photo IMG_0205_zpspwsjkmsm.jpg

photo IMG_0206_zpscet18eai.jpg

photo IMG_0207_zps4qoozciv.jpg

A little post-race party and relaxing time

photo IMG_0208_zpswjocl5nr.jpg

photo IMG_0209_zpsyya9exan.jpg

photo IMG_0210_zpstqyorrb7.jpg

photo IMG_0211_zpsxyt9ydfh.jpg

EPILOGUE

I like the Comanche Park location, very participant friendly with lots of good facilities. Nice post-race goodies that include barbacoa taco wraps, various fruits and veggies and paletas (popsicles) of various flavors, which hit the spot on a warm day.  Also bottled water, Gatorade and a variety of other items offered by some of the race vendors and sponsors there.  The only thing I observed that might be a little off was the Awards ceremony; it seemed to take the folks present the awards a long time to do it – they kept going back-and-fort to results to check everything – so subsequently some of those 25K folks, both relay and individual, were waiting a long time; the 5K awards went pretty quick, comparably.  Work probably needs to be done on the awards system next year, especially as those solo 25K folks must have been really tired.  Other than that, this was a pretty good event.  I would probably do it again in the future.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants:  all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, supporters, iaap for timing, results, course setup, etc.;  law enforcement out there for us;  and any others I  did not mention here.   Thanks for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt