Beginners and Beyond

Best Ever WednesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Could you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if this era of runners had to wait three days for results, let alone three weeks?!

There is a monthly race series around here that I've done which is not chip-timed; races are Saturdays, and they post official results online on Mondays. The time of course you can get close enough from your watch, but to wait that long for AG placing is agonizing. I think they recognize top 3 OA on site, but that's never something I have to worry about.

Dave

Zelanie

After my first marathon (which had been a train wreck from 13.1 on), I was mostly concentrating on trying not to look like I was in need of medical attention so that I could get the hell away from all the fanfare. I had two separate photographers take finishing area photos of me because going along with it seemed much easier than trying to explain that I had just been photographed.

And when I walked past the medical people without them looking too alarmed, then I felt a sense of accomplishment that I had run a marathon and still was coherent enough to pass for healthy.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just under 4.5. Windy again, the worst part is the weather forecast on the news said the wind was "only" 15 mph, so the 25-30 mph is truly going to suck.

workinprogress11

I woke up to 18 degrees, fog, and snow flurries. "I'm not running in dat shit." I found a gym, paid $10, and ran 11 miles. It was worth it.

I would have done exactly the same thing. I might have even paid $15.00.

SRD.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No running for me tomorrow, probably a good thing as I should have at least one day of rest. Huge storms and strong winds all day tomorrow starting tonight.... fun fun.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GinnyinPA

After my first marathon, I was really happy, even though I really hurt. My immediate thought was, "I can't wait t to do this again."  Recovery was slow, and mostly physical. It took about 2 months before running felt easy again. By then I wasn't in such a hurry to get back to marathon training.  After my second, I was so disappointed at how badly I did, I got really depressed, and though I still wanted to do it again, it was more about wanting redemption than wanting to repeat something I found fun. I go through days when I want to give up racing completely and wonder why I'm bothering with trying to train when I suck at it so badly.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

After my first marathon, I was really happy, even though I really hurt. My immediate thought was, "I can't wait t to do this again."  Recovery was slow, and mostly physical. It took about 2 months before running felt easy again. By then I wasn't in such a hurry to get back to marathon training.  After my second, I was so disappointed at how badly I did, I got really depressed, and though I still wanted to do it again, it was more about wanting redemption than wanting to repeat something I found fun. I go through days when I want to give up racing completely and wonder why I'm bothering with trying to train when I suck at it so badly.

The physical recovery for me wasn't the hard part, mainly because I wasn't able to give it my all due to the stomach issues, but the mental recovery and getting my mojo back to training was difficult. Plus I didn't let myself recover, and started having issues not long after.

Recovery for my second one was much, much quicker and my mojo is back.... maybe much stronger, to be honest. I put in the training, and gave the trails everything I could give, and yet 2 days later I couldn't wait to get back on the roads and trails with the next training plan.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

My first marathon finished with an ~8-mile death march. I somehow managed to pull it together once in sight of the finish line, so there is a photo of me smiling with my arms in the air. DW was there, and to her everything looked totally normal. I had to explain the reality to her afterwards. I was obviously glad to be done, but for the next ~15 min, felt like I was going to puke. And was so crippled, I was honestly concerned that I had done some permanent damage. Walking was extremely painful for a few days, and still sore nearly a week afterwards. But turns out the only long term damage was to my brain, because I've kept doing these damn things.

On the drive home from the race (thank God DW was there to chauffeur), I did get a little misty thinking about the accomplishment. 

Dave

LRB

On the drive home from the race (thank God DW was there to chauffeur), I did get a little misty thinking about the accomplishment. 

'Atta boy.

I cried like a bitch while driving away from my first. And aside from the fact that I'm stupid, I couldn't tell you why.

Docket_Rocket

I had to drive an hour after mine. I was so pissed and I finished so late I didn't even take anything after the race cause they had run out of everything.  I fell when I stepped out of the car in front of the house, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I had to drive an hour after mine. I was so pissed and I finished so late I didn't even take anything after the race cause they had run out of everything.  I fell when I stepped out of the car in front of the house, LOL.

Damn, that was a tough day!

Zelanie

2 hours and 20 minute aquajog.