Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: St. Judes Jingle Bell 5K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   St. Judes Jingle Bell 5K

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2070%20Gruene%20Jingle%20Bell%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 70th race of 2016.  St. Judes Jingle Bell 5K supports St. Judes Ranch for Children, which has a 50 year history of caring for abused, abandoned and neglected children. The race was presented by Comal Independent School District, with local race management company Athlete Guild doing the course set up, timing, results, etc.  Race venue was historic Gruene, Texas, which is about a 30 minute or so drive from where I live in San Antonio.  Besides the 5K there was also a wheelchair division and a kids run.  Start time of 8 a.m.  Weather was overcast and a bit chilly - 42 degrees at start time - but no wind, thankfully, so actually some pretty nice running weather once we all got going.   Starbucks was out there too, so had free coffee for anyone who wanted it before the start.   I passed, as I can't even stand the smell of the stuff, lol.  There was also hot chocolate and water.   I did take some water and after that wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

HO HO HO!  My friend, Lisa, and then me, With the Christmas Big Guy

photo 012_zpsypdcswkt.jpg

photo 014_zpsvxirqqo8.jpg

The EMT/Medical folks, out there to keep us all safe and well...doesn't that young blonde lady look like a character from "Baywatch"?  Yeah, I'm old, lol...some of the younger folks probably don't even know what Baywatch is...

photo 019_zpsvzgpwo1y.jpg

One of the good folks from Athlete Guild that did the timing, results, course setup, etc.  They are a great local-based area race management company that does a lot of events, not only around here, but in several parts of the state.

photo 022_zpsk9emlmht.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, sponsors, etc

photo 004_zpscmb7dosv.jpg

photo 006_zpsin01tqir.jpg

photo 007_zpsqekt0ma9.jpg

photo 008_zpsemzjzimb.jpg

photo 009_zps93apbtdu.jpg

photo 010_zpswkv5rk4z.jpg

photo 011_zpsken90qvx.jpg

photo 015_zpsjvocq58h.jpg

photo 016_zpszfdeslme.jpg

photo 017_zpsdbsmqttj.jpg

photo 018_zpsefdesblu.jpg

photo 020_zpsnudm37wy.jpg

Thanks to this school steel band for being out there for us

photo 021_zps4dj2zikx.jpg

photo 023_zpsj1mxnf9o.jpg

Getting ready to start....all the folks ahead of me and behind me..

photo 024_zpssaqhzdzk.jpg

photo 025_zpskfjjsivh.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Pretty nice turn-out for this event, probably around 800 or so runner and walker participants.  I was feeling pretty good today and ended up with a chip time of 33:19.  Did not place in my 60 - 64 age group as there are some speedy old guys in my age group, lol.  The very first 9 in my age group all finished below 30 minutes. 5K started on a side road right across from Gruene Hall, did a little loop through part of the town and then headed out of town to a nearby subdivision, very nice wide streets and homes.  Made a loop through this subdivision and then back on the main road we had come out on and on to the finish line. Nicely  thought out course, lots of room for everyone and we could enjoy seeing some holiday decorations at a few of the houses we went by.   Comal ISD even had some young musicians out on the course, playing for us as we went by.

Speed limit...30 mph...yeah, I wish..

photo 026_zpscjdtthzz.jpg

photo 027_zpskr5wlwio.jpg

photo 028_zps6tfqlzqv.jpg

photo 029_zpsrmi0g4ff.jpg

photo 030_zpszfm6swhr.jpg

photo 031_zpspuvydlso.jpg

photo 032_zps8hv9quqi.jpg

photo 033_zpsepeto9sy.jpg

photo 034_zpsqui1qiqt.jpg

photo 035_zps6ncankhq.jpg

photo 036_zpspr884z4a.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Yay beer!  My first stop after I finished.  There were also sausage wraps, and lots of other various goodies and freebies from the onsite sponsors, vendors, etc.  Enjoyed my beer and sausage and then it was time to get the 'after' photos.

photo 043_zpsltsngih3.jpg

photo 044_zps4btvi47f.jpg

Our MC for the event.  Great job, sir!

photo 039_zpspqj4zyau.jpg

And various others....

photo 037_zpsndtnrl9d.jpg

photo 038_zpstyijnrsx.jpg

photo 040_zpsy0v8l9uy.jpg

photo 041_zps1dllr2nn.jpg

photo 042_zpsw0dkfv3o.jpg

For this doggie, the camera can't compete with the beer and sausage the guy has, lol

photo 046_zpsc9rbdd0a.jpg

photo 047_zps9ceyjxtz.jpg

photo 049_zpstv6wakvj.jpg

photo 050_zpsgtgb2dv6.jpg

photo 051_zps5lfsrg23.jpg

photo 052_zpsscrz7poi.jpg

photo 053_zpswqstvagl.jpg

photo 054_zpsfen2hcua.jpg

photo 055_zpsj0dorrzc.jpg

photo 056_zpsgahsl5pt.jpg

photo 057_zps9yltlls1.jpg

photo 058_zpsmmmrqyv5.jpg

photo 059_zps2vvdn454.jpg

photo 060_zpsqtxwxdsu.jpg

photo 061_zpsz8tuvbs6.jpg

photo 062_zpsadbv2tsl.jpg

Awww...love these little doggies...look at those faces, lol....btw, the people were really great too... 

photo 063_zpsslsezxie.jpg

EPILOGUE

An event for a really good cause, and always an enjoyable event.  Nice tech tee race shirt, nice race medals for those that got them - and the overall winners, male and female, got a plaque and each got a  $100 gift card - very nice course, and lots of post-race activities going on, to be enjoyed with all the goodies. And of course, what makes the race....the people!  Great turn-out of great people for this one, really enjoyed interacting with all the people I met and chatted with.  Fun too seeing some of the costumes some of the participants wore.  I've always liked this race, right from the first time I did it, many years ago, and have probably done this event numerous times.  I don't think I've done them all - I tend to rotate my Jingle Bell 5K around from year to year - but I've done a lot of them.   This is a 'class act' event, one which I am sure I will do many times in the future.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, donors, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., all the people that made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Lots of fun costumes for this one - though I'm not sure what a giraffe has to do with Christmas? Maybe just because she wanted something warm to wear.