Beginners and Beyond

Olympic ad that won't run during the games (Read 88 times)

So I'm missing something here.  If one sister gave up her spot, how come that spot didn't go to the next athlete who did compete in the trials?  Didn't that person train for years as well?  Is that fair to her?

I think there's an echo in here.

Anyway, thought I'd see what the interwebz had to say. According to this, the sister was "next in line based on past results". I guess the biathlon doesn't go purely by performance in the trials, like I think most other sports. And apparently she thought her sister was the stronger athlete and had a better chance to succeed in the Olympics.

Dave

happylily

And why wouldn't there be some logical explanation to the story?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

And why wouldn't there be some logical explanation to the story?

Because sometimes, it is just a good sob story. 

Dave

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I guess I agree with Dave here. The one who qualified gave up her spot to the one who didn't qualify. Thank you for giving the US team the inferior athlete.

Yes, I know this just shows how little I know about the biathlon. And Lanny was sick, so maybe she isn't the inferior athlete. But isn't that what Olympic trials are for? To see who is the superior athlete to represent the US?

And Lanny took her sister's last shot at the Olympics. I am confused. And not weepy at all.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Hip Redux

Anyway, thought I'd see what the interwebz had to say. According to this, the sister was "next in line based on past results". I guess the biathlon doesn't go purely by performance in the trials, like I think most other sports. And apparently she thought her sister was the stronger athlete and had a better chance to succeed in the Olympics.

So not only is she supporting her sister, but she is supporting her country in the games.   How can you not like that?

happylily

Because sometimes, it is just a good sob story. 

LOL...

From the very beginning, I questioned the right that the one sister had to give her spot to the other sister. It was obvious that it isn't up to an athlete to decide who will replace him if he can't go. So obviously, since the sick sister had been accepted, it's because she was next in line. The beer ad is so short it is not its goal to explain the whole shabang. Its intentions were only to stir feelings. Unfortunately, some people have less of them that others. 

Its intentions were only to stir feelings. Unfortunately, some people have less of them that others. 

Now you are sounding like my wife.

Dave

happylily

Now you are sounding like my wife.

Thank you. 

Love the Half

I'll buy that.  There are some sports that doin't select the team based strictly on performance in trials.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).