Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: American Heroes 25K Relay and 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:    http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2036%20American%20Heroes%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

American Heroes 5K was my 36th race of 2017.  Held on May 28 at Texas A&M University-San Antonio.   There was also a 25K relay and some individuals did the whole 25K solo.   This event was established by Free Spirits Track Club Inc., a nonprofit organization that raise funds for scholarships for cancer survivors (and other diseases and child abuse), to recognize our American Heroes and to promote track & field meets, running and athletic events in the San Antonio area.  Start time was 7:35 a.m., so I was up early for this one, arriving at race location around 6:45, giving me a bit of time to get some random pre-start photos.

Welcome to Texas A&M-San Antonio

photo 111_zps3littxrm.jpg

With my pal, Bernandette. She and I have been doing a lot of the same races for about 20 years now.

photo 005_zps2wenpm6y.jpg

These lovely ladies were grilling up the sausages for post-race activities.

photo 009_zps0wlckha8.jpg

Race Day registration

photo 011_zps1jnoesbg.jpg

Our MCs

photo 019_zpss5rgu27r.jpg

photo 088_zps4rotmwak.jpg

And More..

photo 001_zpsfywspkbj.jpg

photo 002_zpsulavz73p.jpg

photo 003_zpsh6cmlunj.jpg

photo 004_zpscykoqt5k.jpg

photo 006_zpsqpf2fx6y.jpg

photo 007_zpsfcjxlddd.jpg

photo 008_zpson51jxkf.jpg

photo 010_zpsywarbl92.jpg

photo 013_zpsjsblen4s.jpg

photo 014_zpsvr5fypbs.jpg

photo 015_zpszpsftupb.jpg

photo 016_zpsaxi8twx2.jpg

photo 017_zpstmjw7roe.jpg

photo 018_zpsgrgyta6h.jpg

photo 020_zps9nuyahuo.jpg

photo 021_zpsq7t0fg5k.jpg

photo 022_zpsifjyh8gk.jpg

photo 023_zpsek3pmsd8.jpg

photo 024_zpseclcfr7f.jpg

photo 025_zpsx7zcgflt.jpg

photo 026_zpsifdb3mlr.jpg

photo 027_zpsc2kc6up3.jpg

photo 028_zps1qn8ofzb.jpg

photo 029_zpstlwqov9z.jpg

photo 031_zpslmyvfnzl.jpg

photo 032_zpseabk1fcp.jpg

photo 034_zpsy5nnpas6.jpg

photo 035_zps7iqwjmcb.jpg

photo 036_zpsasorzm1j.jpg

photo 037_zps0utidb1w.jpg

photo 038_zpsb5xuhses.jpg

photo 039_zpsv4xrsakn.jpg

photo 041_zpspoeqbnad.jpg

photo 042_zpsqdrcj1ds.jpg

photo 040_zpssaqmcdi6.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I will be honest and just say flat out I do not much like running races at Texas A&M University. The usual course for events here is all cement, no scenery at all along the way, includes a couple of pretty tough hills and, with absolutely no shade, on a warm or hot morning – like today was – it can be brutal, especially for those doing the longer distances.  For the 5K it was a one lap course.  For the most of the relay teams, they had 5 people and each did a lap.  For the people doing the 25K, they did 5 laps individually. I only did the 5K and felt exhausted after I was done, so I can’t imagine what it felt like for the people who chose to individually do the whole 25K.   We started at 7:35 a.m. and the temp was already near 80, with crazy high dew-point.  After I finished, later in the morning I watched some of the full 25K people out there, and by that time it was 89 degrees with a ‘feels like’ of 93 – and this was around 9 a.m. – and that sun reflecting on the cement had to make it feel even warmer for them, good grief, for 5 laps.

Even though I am not fond of running here, this is one of the very few races I choose to do at Texas A&M because, although the course may suck, the event itself is a very good one, well organized; supports causes that are personally important to me; and the participants themselves are what really makes this race – lots and lots of my friends do this one, so a lot of moral support out there.  This race has a lot of ‘spirit’ and you can see that, hear it, and even feel it at this one. So for this one I just ‘bite the bullet’ and get it done.   With this course, I ended up with a time of 36:12 – I usually do a 5K in about 32 to 34 minutues – and I was just glad to be done with no problems along the way.  This is not a kind course on a warm day.

photo 043_zpsilpd8vwf.jpg

photo 044_zpsbhepssca.jpg

photo 045_zpswrnyzcl1.jpg

photo 046_zpsfneher5s.jpg

photo 047_zpsu0zvrnbm.jpg

photo 048_zpsshvkrtjy.jpg

photo 049_zps6szoyrsl.jpg

photo 050_zpsdshv5qop.jpg

photo 051_zpss0fsdocm.jpg

photo 052_zpsgba50ipj.jpg

photo 053_zpsxrllgoqq.jpg

photo 054_zpsxs4np7wx.jpg

photo 055_zpsdxvljbql.jpg

photo 056_zpsxcfqsbs7.jpg

photo 057_zpsi3qwh60o.jpg

photo 059_zpsxjjjwytj.jpg

photo 060_zpsha1acxnp.jpg

photo 062_zpsh4ub5plv.jpg

photo 063_zpsxhv3d4e9.jpg

photo 058_zpsmnpsux1u.jpg

photo 061_zpsptjcb6uw.jpg

Heading toward the finish now..

photo 064_zpswam6gupv.jpg

photo 065_zpssz3xjpod.jpg

photo 066_zpsnkdbl5t7.jpg

photo 067_zpssz6hlemw.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

I got some water, sipped that slowly, walked to my car where I had some Gatorade, sat in my car and drank that, with the a/c running, and felt much cooled down after that… ahhhhh!  Then it was back to the race area to cheer on some friends still on the course, and wander around taking photos.

Everyone got a finisher medal...

photo 068_zpspzujeyhl.jpg

photo 069_zpsbtynmcke.jpg

photo 070_zpsqvzb5fjk.jpg

photo 071_zpsabcbidvd.jpg

photo 072_zpsrdswr85b.jpg

photo 074_zpsx1ofgfri.jpg

photo 075_zps71jy8b4k.jpg

photo 076_zpsoywoxace.jpg

photo 077_zpsby65tihg.jpg

photo 078_zpssgb8lxyg.jpg

photo 096_zpsv574u6qm.jpg

photo 079_zpscq17bouw.jpg

photo 080_zpsbtx9cpt5.jpg

photo 081_zpspw5ptrgt.jpg

photo 082_zpsyhcdh5v5.jpg

photo 083_zpsjsbt2ozf.jpg

photo 084_zpstckcmwum.jpg

photo 085_zpszif490gi.jpg

photo 086_zpswcb0khsq.jpg

photo 089_zpsolurv6fm.jpg

photo 090_zpsickivkhn.jpg

photo 091_zpshto0t3ym.jpg

photo 092_zps6iew0qbq.jpg

photo 093_zps2fxvfmjl.jpg

photo 094_zpsdymv0gaj.jpg

photo 095_zpsxfcuhssk.jpg

After she finished her 5K, this lady stood near one of the course turns for I don't know how long holding the flag the whole time - but a long time - inspiring every runner/walker who passed by with Old Glory

photo 097_zpsh1q79lqo.jpg

photo 099_zpsbkkcavgd.jpg

photo 100_zps4gjr7ziv.jpg

photo 101_zpsn2mabxan.jpg

photo 102_zpssawg8tbh.jpg

photo 103_zpsft1v2g7e.jpg

photo 104_zpsvxeeqh2l.jpg

photo 106_zpsp4ti8i6w.jpg

photo 107_zpsy9ajwveg.jpg

photo 108_zpsmic1utkl.jpg

photo 109_zpsz2gmssu4.jpg

photo 110_zpsljuo0ef9.jpg

EPILOGUE

As said, very nicely organized event and at any given time where I was I did not see any mishaps, wrong turns, people falling out, etc.  It may have happened at some time, but I never saw it.  Post-race activities are very nice.  Lots of vendors, sausage wraps as one of the post-race goodies, and also popsicles which were really popular on this warm day; they went pretty quick. Also, several of the teams and vendors had coolers with various types of drinks in them – water, Gatorade, sports drinks, etc – and it didn’t matter if you were a member of the team or not, if you needed a drink, you were handed a drink.   Everyone watching out for each other – another reason this is such a quality event, a real runner/walker comradery at this one. Do I still hate the course?  Absolutely.  Would I do this one again? Absolutely.  Because the course isn’t the race for this one – the people there are the race.  And everyone I personally encountered and interacted with today was great.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants, iaap for course set-up, timing, results, etc; all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., out there for we runners and walkers.  Without all of you, there would be no races for us. Thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt