Beginners and Beyond

The Friday Penguins Did It Again! (Read 32 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a good chorus rehearsal last night, but MAN, am I glad it's Friday!!  Although clearly I will not be going swimming today, since I got to work, opened up my trunk, and realized I left my gym bag at home on the dog food tub.  So I guess I'll hike down to look at the brochure proof instead.  It's all good -- I was a little nervous about walking and swimming on the same day.  Then I will probably chill this weekend.

Gustav -- biked, myrtled, and cored!  Sounds like something you would do to fruit for a pie!

Bin -- and did you find the trailhead?

Awood -- you know you're getting a little obsessive, right?

hog -- hope you make it out for a run today!!

kristin -- hopefully it's just a random ache that will disappear!

N-Bug -- I am SO OVER WINTER!!!  I'm ready to be outside too!

Scotty -- wow, that's a realistic ceramic dog!!  Glad you had a good time!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for you, and good luck at your race!!  44 and raining, I'd be wearing tights and a sweatshirt!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Gus: Nice work! How are the myrtls working for you? I want to start doing some, but I am just too lazy.

Bin: You WILL find the trail head! By the way, will you be wearing a headband in your HM?

Awood: Judging by your workouts, I think you should be able to run at least a 1:55. Word of warning: don't get excited and go out too fast. That could ruin your entire race.

Hog: I hope your work hours are tolerable. It must be hard getting in your runs.

Kristin: Sorry to hear that. Injuries are definitely no fun (duh). For what it's worth, rest is the best medicine for me.

N-Bug: Wear are you? It seems your snow will never end!

Scotty: TX is looking better and better!

Zel: Best of luck to you! I can't wait to see a RR! I hope the weather cooperates with you.

It's a rest day for me, but only from a running perspective. The shuttling of the kids never ends and DW is off at a conference so I am on double duty. The younger DD has a swim meet all weekend so she has a taper workout today. Older DD is off to a retreat weekend for confirmation so we won't be seeing much of her, and I hope to get a 10 mile run in sometime tomorrow, probably at night after the swim meet.

Have a great weekend, Pens, and good luck to all the racers.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys for your tips and support with the ankle. It is the outside of the ankle. I iced it obe more time beforework, tried scotty's stretch, and have been massaging the area a lot at work. Currently it doesn't hurt while walking so here's to hoping. I have 2 runs on tap for the weekend, 3.5 mile "long" run tomorrow and 2 mile recovery paced run sunday. I will start tomorrow's run and see how it goes. If it bothers me a little I will drop to recovery pace, cut it off at 2 miles and worry about the long run later.... or if it hurts bad just stop and deal with missing MORE miles on an already low mileage schedule Sad. grumble.

PS scotty- dirty! Wink

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Morning good friends and penguins!

gustav-  nice workout yesterday.  Glad you're feeling better!

bin- sure hope you'll eventually find that trail.  Do you know anyone who's been on it?

awood- enjoy your rest day!  Rain and 45mph wind gusts on race day?  Oh my, lets so hope that doesn't happen.

Mitch-  good luck getting your run in--- hopefully you won't be too tired after all the working.

kristin- I got my fingers crossed for you that the pain turns out not to be anything serious or long lasting.

N-bug-- sure hope it warms up for you.  It got into the 80s here yesterday!

Scotty--- what a cool Irish pub!   Love the dog statue!   Dang them ladies look good in kilts; they must be runners.

Zelanie-- good luck with your race this weekend!  I thought your half was in April?  After all your hard training we know you'll do fantastic regardless.  Anyway with that weather, the LS shirt sounds like a great idea.

Hopesmom- yay@ it being Friday!  Enjoy your walk!

Jack-  have fun this busy, bustling weekend!  Your kids have such busy lives.

Jerry-  hope your DD is doing well in London (then again, how could she not?)  What a great opportunity for her.  Wish you'd asked me to chaperone her!

My 15 miles yesterday turned more into over 17, but I only put down 12 miles on my run long.  It took forever it seemed.  I greatly under estimated how difficult it was going to be.  There was over 4000 ft of elevation gain, and I couldn't run a great deal of it (hence the 12 miles instead.)   But man, it was beautiful and fun, and exciting to finally reach the peak.  It was just an exhausting great day!  And I was so glad I'd brought a lot extra water and had  food with me.  Today i got in 6 easy miles and was a bit sore still.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Cherie, sounds like a great run! My half is in April. This is a 10 mile tune up. And it might help me pace my HM.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm "watching" the BC/Miami game, meaning that I've got the funny Gametracker thing on.  Good enough for me!  Too bad my Deacs lost last night ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Cherie, sounds like a great run! My half is in April. This is a 10 mile tune up. And it might help me pace my HM.

Oh yes, I'm sure it will.  Good luck, Z!   You'll do great!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Finally got the long run in on the streets, actually out and back to our indoor track.  WeTher was perfect.  10.1 @ 10:35.  Slowest split 10:52, "fastest" was 10:31.  Legs a little tired at the end, but not too bad.  HR only 133.  Didn't realize the FR10 times out of a manual pause when we pit stopped, but it saved the data anyway.   Hope we can get in a 11-12 miler next week.

Sloooow.

Afternoon, Penguins Smile

Gustav- Busy day yesterday, enjoy your rest day!

Bin- Hope your run went well, good look finding Narnia.

Awood- Enjoy your SRD too! Definitely not long to go, so exciting Smile

Hog4Life- Good luck on getting a run in.

Kristin- Sorry to hear you are in the wars again. Maybe rolling it will help? Especially keep up with icing it. Hopefully it will ease up soon.

N-Bug- Enjoy your run! I miss snow, but I can understand it being a big pain for running.

Scotty- Beautiful area to run in! I'm trying to see about planning a trip to San Antonio in the fall. Hoping to get the other half divorced and remarried (to me!) this year, so we'll need a break somewhere.

Zelanie- Good luck with your race tomorrow!

HopesMom- Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Jack- There really is no such thing as a rest day when you have kids, huh. Hope you get everything accomplished

Cherie- It sounds nice to have such a beautiful run, but tough! That's a whole lot of elevation.

Jerry- Nice job on the strong run!

I'm planning on 2 easy miles today, with some incline/decline walking at the end. Race tomorrow morning, I'm really nervous. Scale said 212 this morning, I'm only 4lbs away from being "overweight"! I think I was 224 for my PR 5K back in November, with a time of 37:20. That was an out and back, this one has a bunch of turns. I'm HOPING for 36:something. I don't know if the constant butterflies are from the race, or it being 6 days until surgery. Unless the buggers reschedule me again.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So many racing penguins tomorrow.  I'm jealous of all of you!

HopesMom - I know I'm obsessing.  That's what I do in any type of athletic endeavor.  Just before the gun goes off though, I'll be the most relaxed person out there.

Kristin - Hopefully there aren't any issues during your run tomorrow.

Jack - Have a Natty after your run.  Sounds like you're going to earn it.

She Can - They already changed the forecast.  Being a meteorologist must be a great job.  You just keep guessing, and when the time comes, you just look out the window and tell us what you see.  Great job on the run though.  With that type of elevation gain, even the walking is a great workout.  I'd put the 5 walking miles in the log as well.

Zel - You're going to kick some serious butt at the half.  A 10 mile race is a great tune up, and workout.

Jerry - You're doing better than me.  I didn't even know it had a manual pause.

CoralieT - Good luck with your race tomorrow.  Until then, just try your best to stay relaxed.  In other words, don't be like me :-)

AFM - The forecast in Chicago is looking great now!  Low of 33 and high of 42!  That's shorts and t-shirt weather here in Indiana.  They're saying a wind of 3 mph.  Seriously?  In Chicago?  I'll believe that when I see it.  No rain though!  ALSO, a bunch of my wedding cake supplies came in today.  That was way quicker than they said it would be.  Just a couple of more items.  FINALLY, I ordered a custom engraved pad lock for our wedding.  Hell, MI has given the old Damn Bridge to the chapel.  After the wedding, we get to put our lock on the hand formed iron, and pitch the keys into the water below the damn.  Cool huh?  I've been told that our lock will be the first engraved lock on the bridge unless someone does it between now and then.  So far, people have used magic marker.  What's that about?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Jack, it's very difficult getting runs in.

Awood, sounds really cool about the wedding.

Zelanie, you will do great! I can't wait to hear about it.

Kristin, that's a bummer about the ankle/shin Sad

I have decided to do a last minute 5k in the morning. I'll have just enough time to get home from work, change and be there early enough to get registered and do a WU. Then there is a group wanting to do 10 miles afterwards. Sounds exhausting after working all night, huh? Anyone wanna guess a time? My PR is 23:36 before my colon surgery, was only doing 25 mpw back then, compared to 37 mpw week now and I think I'm in better shape. I'm hoping to break 23:00.....

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You got this Mitch!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

She Can - They already changed the forecast.  Being a meteorologist must be a great job.  You just keep guessing, and when the time comes, you just look out the window and tell us what you see.  Great job on the run though.  With that type of elevation gain, even the walking is a great workout.  I'd put the 5 walking miles in the log as well.

AFM - The forecast in Chicago is looking great now!  Low of 33 and high of 42!  That's shorts and t-shirt weather here in Indiana.  They're saying a wind of 3 mph.  Seriously?  In Chicago?  I'll believe that when I see it.  No rain though!  ALSO, a bunch of my wedding cake supplies came in today.  That was way quicker than they said it would be.  Just a couple of more items.  FINALLY, I ordered a custom engraved pad lock for our wedding.  Hell, MI has given the old Damn Bridge to the chapel.  After the wedding, we get to put our lock on the hand formed iron, and pitch the keys into the water below the damn.  Cool huh?  I've been told that our lock will be the first engraved lock on the bridge unless someone does it between now and then.  So far, people have used magic marker.  What's that about?

Yay@ the weather change!   3mph wind?  LOL, I think you can handle it!  Neat wedding concept, and its wonderful how excited you are about the wedding!

Coralie-- good luck on your race tomorrow!  That's quite a weight difference.  It should definitely help on your race performance   Just try to get plenty of sleep tonight.

Cherie

GinnyinPA

Seems like just about everybody has a race this month.  I'm truly envious.  This is the second spring I've missed out on racing, thanks to the injury last March.  I'm a lot better now, but still building up my base, not ready yet for anything big.  Missed my local HM, which really hurt as they had perfect weather for it this year.  Good luck to all who are racing this weekend.  Seems like a lot of you no longer qualify as penguins though.

Gustav - what's a myrtl?  Always new terms for me to learn. Glad the cold is better.  Spring is not the time to be sick.

Bin - I've had trails disappear on me before.  Usually they appear when it's actually time for me to follow them.  Sometimes it turns out they moved the trailhead.  Good luck finding it tomorrow.

Kristin - I hope the ankle heals quickly.  I can understand getting hurt at yoga though as you stretch your body to the extreme sometimes.  Or at least, I do.

Scotty - nice way to end a run.

Jack - I haven't tried night running yet, though I think it might be a nice alternative in the summer.  I enjoy walking at night.

Cherie - that must have been a hard run.  I've never been sure whether to count the whole distance, with the slower time because of the walking, or split it up and guestimate how much was walking and how much running.  In my logs I've done both, depending on how clear cut the division was.

AFM:  Finally got a run in, after three days of travel and short hikes.  I asked at the campground about a place to run, and they recommended a lovely greenway along the French Broad River in Asheville.  Lots of people, dogs, bikes and strollers, but I managed 5+ miles while my husband walked the dog in the dog park area.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to