Beginners and Beyond

2016 Evansville Half Marathon RR (Read 45 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You certainly know what you did wrong; besides lots of posters told you just to be sure. The question is are you willing to make the necessary adjustments. Way back when, I had a running partner who always went out too fast because he felt great at the beginning of races. He never did take our advice to start slower and finish stronger. What's particularly ironic about that is he was a professor of psychology. Although my last ace was not what I had hoped and I fell well short of my goal, I did finally start at a pace closer to what I should and felt good much further into the race than usual. Of course you never feel good the entire time in a 24-hour race.

I don't think it was so much that I felt great at the start.... it was even dumber than that .... my thought process was "just in case I get tired around mile 7, I'll start off fast enough so that if I do end up slowing down, it shouldn't hurt my time too much.........."

Yeah, that dumb.

But yes, I am willing to make the adjustments and use reason and logic rather than some evil voice up there.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I don't think it was so much that I felt great at the start.... it was even dumber than that .... my thought process was "just in case I get tired around mile 7, I'll start off fast enough so that if I do end up slowing down, it shouldn't hurt my time too much.........."

Yeah, that dumb.

But yes, I am willing to make the adjustments and use reason and logic rather than some evil voice up there.

That's not dumb. Many many people have had that thought process, and many many still do. The problem is not that it is dumb, the problem is that it does not work. Don't beat yourself over it. Just try to make adjustments in your next race.

While reading everything there was to read about how to pace for Boston, I read something that I will not forget. The guy was advising against going out fast, even though it is downhill. He said something like although it seems intuitive to go out fast and bank some time, the correct way is to go out conservatively and bank some energy for late in the race.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's not dumb. Many many people have had that thought process, and many many still do. The problem is not that it is dumb, the problem is that it does not work. Don't beat yourself over it. Just try to make adjustments in your next race.

While reading everything there was to read about how to pace for Boston, I read something that I will not forget. The guy was advising against going out fast, even though it is downhill. He said something like although it seems intuitive to go out fast and bank some time, the correct way is to go out conservatively and bank some energy for late in the race.

I used to be very conservative, even with 5k's... but I've been focusing so much on placing in my AG these last 3............among other crazy thoughts.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

From the Internet.

OUCH. Those splits! I feel your gastrointestinal pain, even in my PR half I had a miserable last 3 miles, but I had the energy left in my legs to just suck it up and keep running.

I think for pretty much everything longer than 5K you have enough breathing room that starting off slow is way better than starting too fast. A quote that has stuck with me is "when you bank time, you pay it back with interest". I had some terrible races this summer so I am also guilty of giving in to adrenaline rather than trusting common sense! Good job surviving this one, the next one will be better!

Zelanie

Sorry that it wasn't your day, but good job hanging on after such a speedy start!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

OUCH. Those splits! I feel your gastrointestinal pain, even in my PR half I had a miserable last 3 miles, but I had the energy left in my legs to just suck it up and keep running.

I think for pretty much everything longer than 5K you have enough breathing room that starting off slow is way better than starting too fast. A quote that has stuck with me is "when you bank time, you pay it back with interest". I had some terrible races this summer so I am also guilty of giving in to adrenaline rather than trusting common sense! Good job surviving this one, the next one will be better!

Trust me, I'll keep those thoughts and my "lessons learned" in mind.

PRs