Beginners and Beyond

Running-related Nerdy Purchases (Read 171 times)

Sloooow.

Everybody needs a Thneed?

I LOL'ed, that has to be my favourite kids movie.

Hip Redux

I'm glad someone else asked what that was because I had no idea!

I can't think of any of my purchases that would be considered nerdy.    Perhaps I am in denial.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I bought a reflective vest so I don't get run over in the winter, because I can't run during daylight during the work week. That's probably the nerdiest thing I've bought.

Docket_Rocket

I prefer the method of having one or two knuckle lights and blinding whoever is trying to hit me.  Either that or very neon compression socks work too.

I bought a reflective vest so I don't get run over in the winter, because I can't run during daylight during the work week. That's probably the nerdiest thing I've bought.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

I have never considered reflective gear nerdy.  Staying alive is fairly high on my priority list.

I have asked for a Nathan Minimist hydration pack for Father's Day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Buelligan

I'm a gear freak.  When I get interested in something, I like having all the bells and whistles.  I have all the tools I need to maintain everything I have.  I can yank the engine from my car because I have my own engine hoist.  When I get into something, I go all in.   When it comes to running though... I'm a minimalist.  I just need coverings for my feet and genitals and a clear path and I'm good to go.

I love this about running.  I don't need much to do it... not like everything else in my life.

MrNamtor

I don't know - is my new Talson UV Flap Cap nerdy?

Hell no C. That's ironically retro. Very French Foreign Legion. Tres hip.

MrNamtor

I'm a gear freak.  When I get interested in something, I like having all the bells and whistles.  I have all the tools I need to maintain everything I have.  I can yank the engine from my car because I have my own engine hoist.  When I get into something, I go all in.   When it comes to running though... I'm a minimalist.  I just need coverings for my feet and genitals and a clear path and I'm good to go.

I love this about running.  I don't need much to do it... not like everything else in my life.

Hehe - love this.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I prefer the method of having one or two knuckle lights and blinding whoever is trying to hit me.  Either that or very neon compression socks work too.

I use knuckle lights too, but one night last winter I drove past a woman who was using knuckle lights and wearing a vest. She lit up like a Christmas tree and I was very impressed. I figured it couldn't hurt, and now in the winter I no longer have to worry about only wearing reflective clothing - I could wear all black if I wanted, and still be very visible.

Philliefan33

i didn't buy it (made it myself), but I am rocking an R2D2 costume at my half on Sunday. I am really excited about it Smile

that might be the nerdiest ...you better share pics!

My daughters think my reflective vest and knuckle lights are rather dorky, but I'd rather be dorky than roadkill.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

This winter, there was a woman that I would see on a regular basis that had the best high viz gear I've seen.  The vest was reflective, but it also had lights that flashed in various patterns.  I've never seen anything like it, but you couldn't miss her.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Bought knucklights, but I need to put new batteries in them and that isn't quite at the top of my list because I am not really running in the dark right now. I do have  headlamp that I got to use at Saturday night's trail race and it was awesome, I don't care how nerdy it is I will use it when I run the trails at night... just not when on the road.

Reflective....ish Gear: A fluorescent yellow hat, and then a white hat with some fluorescent thingies on it. I now have two pairs of shorts that are kind of fluorescent and you won't miss me if your headlights shine on me, or any light for that matter, they are orange and.... the other color is like pinkish/red or something.

I think that is it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have some flashy light thingies on my stroller for if I do get caught out in the evening hours with my son, they are blue lights and can either stay on consistently, flash really quickly and kind of annoying, or flash slowly. They also make ones for your ankles, wrists, neck, dog and waist.

This winter, there was a woman that I would see on a regular basis that had the best high viz gear I've seen.  The vest was reflective, but it also had lights that flashed in various patterns.  I've never seen anything like it, but you couldn't miss her.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

VFF's

**Ask me about streaking**

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

My Nathan water bottle belt that I wear only during really hot days.