Beginners and Beyond

CVS to Stop Selling Tobacco (Read 82 times)

Nevrgivup

Its a lottery to be sure, but mostly for us its a fairly short wait.

Definitely beats waiting 6 hours in an ER and they are convenient for off hours.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Little Blue

According to NPR, CVS profits about $2 billion annually from tobacco sales. 

I thought the guy on NPR (one of the bigwigs) said they had $2 billion in revenue from tobacco, not $2 billion in profit.  He said 3% of their total revenue, if I remember right.  Which I may not.

Good for them.

LRB

I do not even know what a minute clinic is.

RSX

Definitely beats waiting 6 hours in an ER and they are convenient for off hours.

I went for flu-like questions. My beef was with all the paperwork time. An ER I was just giving them my insurance card and waiting. I used to have a few MetroWest hospitals within 30 minutes so ERs weren't usually bad for me. 1 time I walked into an ER for some backyard project mishap saw the backup, and drove to the next one.

Nevrgivup

They are popping up everywhere. Its basically an urgent care center that can treat basic medical problems i.e. sinus infection, ear infection, urinary tract infections, sprains etc. Many of them have physicians and nurse practitioners or physician assistants. My friend who is an NP just got hired for one in NH. They pay well and have great benefits so I hear.

I had to google it.

There are similar stand-alone entities around here -- they provide basic medical care that doesn't require an ER.

Nevrgivup

I went for flu-like questions. My beef was with all the paperwork time. An ER I was just giving them my insurance card and waiting. I used to have a few MetroWest hospitals within 30 minutes so ERs weren't usually bad for me. 1 time I walked into an ER for some backyard project mishap saw the backup, and drove to the next one.

Yeah. Healthcare is crazy. Try working in it. It has gotten really bad where patients are sent to the floors on stretchers and they wait in the halls while the other patients wait to leave. Nurses end up caring for seven to eight patients each and accidents happen. Sucks to get sick now.

RSX

Yeah. Healthcare is crazy. Try working in it. It has gotten really bad where patients are sent to the floors on stretchers and they wait in the halls while the other patients wait to leave. Nurses end up caring for seven to eight patients each and accidents happen. Sucks to get sick now.

I agree. 2 years ago my MIL had a heart attack, stroke, and numerous seizures. She went to hospitals from Springfield to Worcester because of all the tests needed, and insurance.

FYI I agreed with you on FB tonight about the Newton area.

Yugo18

I thought the guy on NPR (one of the bigwigs) said they had $2 billion in revenue from tobacco, not $2 billion in profit.  He said 3% of their total revenue, if I remember right.  Which I may not.

Good for them.

Thank you for correcting what I typed.  Given my sleepy-and-more-coffee driving time in the morning, I am lucky I was able to halfway understand the subject-matter of the story on the radio.    (Um, and drive safely, too.)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

If they wanted to get reeeeeally smart........they'd replace that tobacco business with the new "vape" business.  Bring it mainstream & out of the mom&pop shops and mail order/online shadows and make it brick & mortar.  They would absolutely kill it by pioneering it now before it shows up at Walmart.

The vape business is growing rapidly & helping many otherwise stubborn smokers get out.  The nicotine's still there and some never stop that part, but at least the cigarettes are gone and some go on to eliminate the addiction altogether.

(shrug)

Randy

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

When they banned smoking in restaurants here, there were predictions that the world would come to an end.  Humans are resourceful, people will adapt.

+1.  Smokers will buy them from someplace else, that's all.  I don't think many smokers around here buy cigs from there anyway.  They go to convenience stores and gas stations for that.