Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Veteran's Victory Run 5K and 10K; unique age group awards (Read 34 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

• Race #40 for 2014.  There was a 10K and a 5K.  I did the 5K, finishing in 32:04
    • Held on July 5, 2014 at Universal City Park, which is near Randolph Air Force Base. This is the third year for this event and I have done all 3 years of this race.
    • This event honors our military and for this event participants could submit a name of a military "hero" that was personal for them and signs with these names were placed along the course to honor these individuals.
    • Start time of 8 a.m.   Around 80 people did the 5K and about 35 or so did the 10K
    • Weather:  A bit overcast (thank goodness!), temp of 75 degrees at start time, dew-point in the low 70s, humidity 89%
    • Race supported Universal City Veterans Park and the South Texas district of AAU (Amateur Athletic Union), dedicated to the promotion and development of amateur sports.

Before The Race

This was my 2nd race of the July 4th weekend, having done the Popsicle 4-miler in Kyle on July 4th - report and photos for that one here:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/3a8ffbf2c3854b60b11ba043d9a66fe5/resume#focus .   I don't live too far from the race site so was able to sleep in a bit, getting to the race area with about 40 minutes to go to start time.

Patriotic start/finish area

The folks in red are wearing the race shirt that was in the goody bag

Buddy, mascot from H-E-B, which was a major sponsor of the race. H-E-B is a Fortune 500 grocery company (billions of dollars in sales) located in various states and does a wealth of community support activities in its locations.

Our RD for this race (left) and one of the many great volunteers out that were there for us

This event was doggie friendly....good thing for me. 

Part of why we are out here...honoring our fallen...

Before we started, we got course instructions - including them being VERY clear about where the 5K turn-around point is, which made me laugh because I am sorta responsible for that.   The first year this event was done, in my blissful ignorance, I ran right past the 5K turn-around point and ended up doing the 10K - mainly because I have a 'personal code" that once I start something I finish it...so since I was on the 10K course, no turning around now, I went ahead and just did it.   I finished dead last and the course truck was 'pacing' behind me picking up course cones and course volunteers to take back to the park  By the time I finished I had a truck-load of volunteers behind me cheering me on, lol, as I ran ahead of the truck, too funny.   The next year when I did the course, I saw a friend of mine who was a volunteer at the 5K turn-around water-stop.  He was holding a BIG cardboard sign that said "5K Turn-Around Point!"...and when he saw me, he jokingly called out "Scotty, this is for you!"  Too funny.

On The Course

Done in a very pretty neighborhood surrounding the park.   The 5K course was hilly - and the 10K course, as I learned that first year, is even hillier, so I was glad I was doing the 5K.  Here is the course description in brief:  Start on a park road (flat), turn right out the park onto a neighborhood road (flat for a bit) go up a long incline, then:  downhill; uphill; downhill; uphill; right turn at stop sign, flat to the 5K turn-around water stop; flat back to the stop-sign road; turn back on that road; downhill; MAJOR uphill; downhill; uphill again; downhill; finally flat again, and back to the park to finish.

Heading towards Mile 1

5K turn-around point is down the road to the right from that stop sign...after we just climbed yet another hill to get to the stop sign. Folks on the left have already made the turn-around - including me when I took this photo - and are heading back to the finish.

OK, here we go..up the biggest hill on the course...a 2-parter.  We ran uphill to a curve in the road, went around the curve and had to climb Part 2 of the hill.  One guy ran up the hill backwards, maybe to have it easier on his knees or something.

Right by the mailbox on the right, you can see one of the many signs that were on the course, with a veteran's name on it.

I did my usual 8-min run/2 min walk thing.  These folks ran all the way and that guy got some upper body work pushing that stroller over all the hills on this course!

After that last photo, my watch beeped to run again and I went non-stop all the way back to the finish.  I even managed to pass about 4 people on the way.   For having done a 4-mile race on Friday, I felt surprisingly good and ended up with a 32:04 chip time finish.   My speedy pal, Bernadette, who finished long before me, told me she thought the course might have been a tad short.  Well, that's okay, even if that is so, it was still a very nice run.

After The Race

Because the event had a fairly small number of participants, my age group was 60-99.  I was very surprised my name was called as first in my age group!  I jokingly told the RD "There must be some really slow old men in this age group if it's ME who is first."   The age group awards for this event this year are unique and VERY cool....a big towel....

Bernadette, as usual for her, was first in her age group

Some more award winners....

This lady was first overall woman in the 5K.  I told her I was very impressed she could get first while carrying a baby.

"Happy 5K Finishers"  et al.....

My favorite race benefit;  getting to meet  lovely ladies at a race!  And ALL of them at the races I do are all lovely to me, every woman has her own personal type of beauty.   Sorry though, ladies.... I have been with my wife for 30 years now and she is the love of my life so y'all will just have to pass on me and find your own true love...gee, so sorry to break your hearts... 

10K runner coming in to the finish...

Close-up of the race shirt

Besides the race shirt, all finishers got this nice dog-tag/necklace too...

EPILOG

Small event, but very nicely organized. Challenging course but nice wide roads to run on in a very pretty neighborhood.  Really unique and cool age-group awards, very different from other races I've done, hope they keep doing that!  The only thing I was kind of disappointed in is this year - unless I just missed it - they didn't do the National Anthem before the start like they did in past years - I seem to recall the past 2 events they did do it...unless my brain is turning to mush in my old age and I just don't remember.  Anyway, with a run that honors our veterans, seems kind of odd not to do the National Anthem.  Other than that, a very good event, one I plan to keep on doing and continue my streak for this one.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

The folks in red are wearing the race shirt that was in the goody bag

And what's wrong with that?! 

Congrats on the age group win and the cool swag that went with it!  That has to be an extra special gift as you yourself are a veteran!

PS: You see that lily?  Swag. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

And what's wrong with that?! 

Congrats on the age group win and the cool swag that went with it!  That has to be an extra special gift as you yourself are a veteran!

PS: You see that lily?  Swag. 

lol.  Nothing wrong with it  - other than, maybe, it's cotton, which in our Texas heat can get really heavy on you after sweating in it for a while.  Anyway, I was just pointing this out so readers would know this was the race shirt for the event.

Yes, Lily. SWAG.  I got some for a change.

LRB

lol.  Nothing wrong with it  - other than, maybe, it's cotton, which in our Texas heat can get really heavy on you after sweating in it for a while.  Anyway, I was just pointing this out so readers would know this was the race shirt for the event.

Yes, Lily. SWAG.  I got some for a change.

I know, I was just joshing you. 

Amazonian Princess

Nice run, Scotty, and a great report!

Can't imagine running in a strapless top like bib #334! You must have some bold women in Texas 

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Congrats on the AG award and on making the turnaround! Smile

B-Plus

Lol! Now you have me worried about the turnoff for my 5k next weekend!

Great job and congrats on the placing!

SheCan

Congratulations for first in your AG, Scotty!!!!!!  And for actually finding the turn around spot!    The AG victory towels are awesome!    It looks really pretty along that route.  Glad you had a good time, and did so well on those hills.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run, Scotty, and a great report!

Can't imagine running in a strapless top like bib #334! You must have some bold women in Texas 

Yeah, I was keeping a close eye on her....

Just B.S.

Scotty you are a special kind of crazy. The amazing kind! Congrats on #40 (wow)

for the year!

happylily

This RR is full of swag!!!

Congrats, Scotty! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, Scotty!  And very unique, indeed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page