Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: District 4 Heroes 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2032%20District%204%205K

My apologies for the dark spot in the corner of the camera. I think it's time for a new camera, I think my lens cover on this camera was not opening 100 percent.

BEFORE MY START

My 32nd race of 2017, held on May 13, was the District 4 Heroes 5K, held at Port San Antonio - which used to be Kelly Air Force Base way back when.  This event is part of the series of San Antonio physical activities (races, walks, fitness in the park, etc) put on by  the city, the city's Fit Family Challenge and San Antonio Sports.  Our host for this race was Councilman Ray Saldana, as District 4 is his area.  This was a FREE race, so lots of people registered.  Someone told me 3,500 had registered.  I don't know if they all showed up, but there sure were a lot of people at this event.  We had a beautiful day for it too.   Scheduled 8 a.m. start time, very sunny, blue skies, in the 60s, and low humidity and dew-point, sweet.  My wife, Gail, was registered too, and she walked the course as part of her training as she plans to walk the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half in December.     We arrived at the start/finish area with about 45 minutes to go to start time and I wandered around doing my pre-start photos thing.

Me with the Love of My Life.  I definitely married 'up'.  Gail is wearing the race shirt participants got.

photo 010_zpsoybznzn9.jpg

Me and friend, Joe, with Yeti the Wonder Dog.  As you can see as we faced the sun for this photo, it was a VERY bright morning. Not only were my clothes orange, me and Joe were too.

photo 003_zpscqlnw5mb.jpg

With my amazing friend, Sandra.  She has arthritis too - much worse than mine, and often has a lot of pain - and yet she keeps on keepin' on.  She personifies NEVER GIVE UP.

photo 006_zpshgvsrgxh.jpg

San Antonio Police Academy cadets

photo 012_zpseejxymbc.jpg

With Police Chief McManus.

photo 025_zpss68aeqnl.jpg

The lonely start/finish line before the umpteen hundreds of runners and walkers moved into the area

photo 015_zpsvkboxav7.jpg

Stage for the opening ceremonies, national anthem and post-race activities

photo 016_zpsdmrkl7fu.jpg

My wife's favorite radio station, KLove, was one of the sponsors and played the music for us.

photo 017_zpsjf759ttm.jpg

photo 018_zpsj94qmb9a.jpg

Others...and sorry about some of the sun-shadows...as said, it was a bright day!

photo 004_zpsyhzan2yx.jpg

photo 005_zpszcchqvtr.jpg

photo 013_zpsdpyxltnf.jpg

photo 014_zpsfocdle6j.jpg

photo 019_zpsdi839swq.jpg

photo 020_zps8gli5s9k.jpg

photo 021_zpse4ozqbx7.jpg

photo 022_zps64lazrxf.jpg

photo 023_zpsc4h5u33c.jpg

photo 024_zpsibghwzpj.jpg

photo 027_zps5r7hkmbs.jpg

photo 028_zpshibtphvz.jpg

photo 029_zpskepakyav.jpg

photo 030_zpsgfs0g5yt.jpg

photo 032_zpsro7hmqjq.jpg

photo 033_zps1avorhcp.jpg

photo 034_zpsnntarvwp.jpg

photo 035_zpsdmlkbatw.jpg

photo 036_zpsyg8he7m3.jpg

photo 038_zpsdvnfua1w.jpg

photo 039_zpsypha8nmn.jpg

ON THE COURSE

One of the flattest courses I have ever done.  Unless you get over to Security Hill near Lackland or Lackland Air Force Base, which is adjacent to Port Antonio, you won't find a hill around this place. We started in one of the port's humongous parking lots, went out onto a side road, and then did a kind of loop-around on Port Antonio roads, coming back to the start/finish area from a different direction.  The beginning was a bit crowded but overall it was a nicely thought-out course with wide roads that had plenty of room for everyone to maneuver around.

photo 040_zpsirei3odb.jpg

photo 041_zpsc9ahqfsu.jpg

photo 042_zpslp4gwhhm.jpg

photo 043_zpszfvcs82y.jpg

Right turn at Lockheed Martin

photo 044_zpsdh04nbd4.jpg

photo 045_zpsci4ahzyu.jpg

Heading toward the flight line

photo 046_zpsikimmf7e.jpg

photo 047_zpsjwjuhvcc.jpg

photo 048_zps4jdxj9v8.jpg

photo 049_zpsk4wgzv7s.jpg

Down a straight-a-way road for a bit

photo 050_zpsr3hgl2qq.jpg

photo 051_zpszuzuev8v.jpg

photo 052_zps8wal70jf.jpg

On the road that took us back to the start/finish area.  This guy ran with his kid on his shoulders for most of the 5K.

photo 053_zpspj24ximi.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

DONE!

photo 055_zpsoozbpksh.jpg

photo 056_zpsxvamk397.jpg

My chip time was 33:01 and I was 5th in my age group (60 - 69).   There was no post-race beer  so I settled for a gatorade and water, drank that slowly while doing my cool-down walk and then it was off to get photos of the happy finishers et al.....

photo 054_zpsc2vwn9k3.jpg

Yeti the Wonder Dog and Joe finished ahead of me...and Yet got his finisher medal, lol.

photo 057_zpsojsdz3a8.jpg

Yet is the Poodle breed's answer to Rin Tin Tin and Lassie.  This dog does amazing stuff and has all kinds of adventures with his human, Joe.

photo 060_zpski7lkkye.jpg

photo 058_zps7lvmogtx.jpg

photo 059_zpsocwiv7zq.jpg

photo 061_zpspkiwyfkf.jpg

photo 062_zpst1bkb7zr.jpg

photo 063_zpswho86b65.jpg

photo 064_zpsnep3z4hz.jpg

photo 065_zpsqghwijxb.jpg

photo 066_zpsxghpw4h8.jpg

photo 068_zps9pzq2pl5.jpg

photo 069_zps5r19uo1c.jpg

Our MCs

photo 070_zpscbdhoboa.jpg

This lady is moving out of our fair state and did not get a finisher medal for her last Texas race - I think they ran out - so I gave her my finisher medal as a Texas remembrance.

photo 071_zpsjukb4p2r.jpg

Right before heading home....my lady on the right - who walked the course in 45-something - , friend Sandra in the middle, and her friend.

photo 072_zpskvnimzkj.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nice event on a beautiful day.  Lots of friendly people, nice course at a nice location, finisher medals - I think for the first 1,000 finishers, if I remember correctly  - and the overall winners got gift certificates and there was a drawing for a few prizes.   Goodies were okay - gatorade, water, some fruits, nutrition bars, etc.   Nothing really fancy, but understandable, the city and District does have a budget and it is taxpayer money, so you really can't go crazy.  Might suggest maybe get a sponsor - like H-E-B perhaps, one of our largest local companies and really community-oriented folks to donate lots of ice and to ice that water and gatorade down for the finishers, that would be helpful and really appreciated for folks coming off the course, especially on a very sunny morning.  Other than that, I think it was pretty well organized and from the people I chatted with off-and-on, they pretty much seemed to have no complaints and enjoyed themselves.  Would definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners and certainly would do it again in the future.

MUCHO thanks to all the folks that made this one happen for us:  San Antonio Fit, San Antonio Sports,  District 4 people, the City of San Antonio, all the sponsors and volunteers, the medical folks out there for us, etc.   We runners and walkers could not be out there if it were not for all of you pitching in.  Thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Awww, glad to see a picture of you and Gail. <3

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

For a free event, you can't expect too many frills.  Looks like a good one.