Beginners and Beyond

Anybody ever try Chi Running? (Read 62 times)

Sounds like a good program.  I am going to try it since I am injured all the time.

At least I am going to try it just to get a better running form.

Chi Running

Luke79

I started out this way...I never had a chance.  The whole concept just appealed to me in general.  That being said, I've struggled with pain in the almost 2 years that I've been running now, but only in 1 leg, so I don't know if form is to blame.  My "sensei" when I really started getting into running for real was a chi running, trail running, ultra marathoner.

The concept makes logical sense to me, but people's body types are so different that there certainly can't be a one size fits all method when it comes to running form.

Nevrgivup

I started out this way...I never had a chance.  The whole concept just appealed to me in general.  That being said, I've struggled with pain in the almost 2 years that I've been running now, but only in 1 leg, so I don't know if form is to blame.  My "sensei" when I really started getting into running for real was a chi running, trail running, ultra marathoner.

The concept makes logical sense to me, but people's body types are so different that there certainly can't be a one size fits all method when it comes to running form.

Luke- Have you been assessed for a leg length discrepancy? I've always had a weaker side due to mine. Ironically, the last injury that I had was the side that never gets injured. I've been running for over a decade and have had my fair of injuries. I agree that there is no one size fits all. Its all about balance and being open minded.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

notimeforthat

Went to UVA when I was on my up to run in Richmond and stopped off and had gait analysis there because I kept with hip issues on the right.
          Got a load of exercises that worked to heal the ITBS and PF issues. Ended up with no orthotics and a pretty neutral shoe as a result and hit my PR that weekend too.

Weak medial glutes were the bane of my existence. Try looking into ways to heal that up Luke. I bet it will help, like Nevrgivup said. Runners hit the ground with one foot at a time (duh) but that means that if you are not well balanced physically, it will show up a lot faster than say, with cycling.

As for Chi? nah, I naturally hit midfoot, though at the end of races when I am tired, I heel strike a bit. I do like Chai though. Yummy.

I am The Tortoise

Sounds like a good program.  I am going to try it since I am injured all the time.

At least I am going to try it just to get a better running form.

Chi Running

Also look at the following:

Good Form Running   http://www.goodformrunning.com/

The Pose Method of Running   http://www.posetech.com/

Both are very similar to ChiRunning as far as the form goes, straight posture, midfoot strike, slight lean forward and high cadence.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm an overstriding, over-pronating, heel striking injured runner. When I last went to the LRS to get fitted for new shoes (found the only shoes that keep my pronation at bay) they also fixed my cadence and helped me turn my feet over faster and keep my weight over my feet. This makes so much sense and adds on to what I'm already trying to do. It's worth a try!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Also look at the following:

Good Form Running   http://www.goodformrunning.com/

The Pose Method of Running   http://www.posetech.com/

Both are very similar to ChiRunning as far as the form goes, straight posture, midfoot strike, slight lean forward and high cadence.

Thanks!!! Perusing the Good Form site now. Good stuff here.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MrNamtor

Asian athletes have a different perspective on sports than westerners. Not that this stuff is really asian. Well, it's asian like chicken chow mein is asian. But at least there's an attempt to work from the center of energy, to get some zen into the process.