Beginners and Beyond

George (wcrunner) is my hero tonight (Read 131 times)

George (wcrunner) was one of the runners who had his question answered by Amby Burfoot this evening - http://bit.ly/15d8b1Z

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

happylily

George always has such excellent questions and reflections...

One of my grandmothers was dead set against aging and she did everything in her power to fight the years. She had plastic surgeries many times, she lied about her age, etc... It worked in her 40s, 50s and part of her 60s. But then there came a point when there was nothing she could do any more, and her age was just written on her face, like it should always have been. And she became so depressed... As a child, I swore to myself that getting old would be different for me.

But... it's not, and I realize it now. I don't care about my looks and what will happen to me in 10 years. But I damn care about my racing, and to me, getting slower means getting older and I'm going to fight and kick to resist the inevitable for as long as I can. It's a battle I'm going to lose, no matter what. And I already know I'm in for deep disappointment eventually. But I can't help it, I want that battle. For as long as I'm fighting, that means that I'm alive. It's hard to explain. I sound crazy, I know. Big grin

But yes, thanks George, for stimulating our brains! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, I was gonna say that George is just as famous to me as Amby is.  Anybody else remember seeing George in that old Boston Marathon video? Big grin  That's cool stuff to me.  I know George was quite fast in his youth and still at it running 7's in his mile races and even chasing down ambitions like marathons and ultras.  Just cool.

If I can do half of what George has done in his running career, I'll be a happy guy!  Maybe Amby should be asking George how HE does it! Wink

Randy

happylily

Ya, I was gonna say that George is just as famous to me as Amby is.  Anybody else remember seeing George in that old Boston Marathon video? Big grin  That's cool stuff to me.  I know George was quite fast in his youth and still at it running 7's in his mile races and even chasing down ambitions like marathons and ultras.  Just cool.

If I can do half of what George has done in his running career, I'll be a happy guy!  Maybe Amby should be asking George how HE does it! Wink

+1

George once asked people on RW "When you participate in a race, are you really racing, or is it just a time trial?" It took me forever to understand what he really was saying. I was getting really frustrated at him. lol... And then one day, it clicked, I was finally understanding the difference between racing and running a time trial. George taught me what competition is about. Not only is he a great runner, but he's also a wonderful philosopher.

Docket_Rocket

That is great, George!

I think George has great amount of knowledge about running and I always listen and appreciate his input.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Gosh and bygolly gee. Blush   Thanks for the kind words.

I met Amby and some of the other top runners back in the late 60s at some of those small races in CT. He probably doesn't remember me but I was thrilled to have some of the elite runners actually recognize me at races. That was before the days of professional running and the elite runners were not only approachable, they stood in line to register just like everyone else.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Gosh and bygolly gee. Blush   Thanks for the kind words.

I met Amby and some of the other top runners back in the late 60s at some of those small races in CT. He probably doesn't remember me but I was thrilled to have some of the elite runners actually recognize me at races. That was before the days of professional running and the elite runners were not only approachable, they stood in line to register just like everyone else.

It must be wonderful to think that you were part of that first wave of crazy people running miles and miles, in snow and in heat, hours of training, just so you could rub shoulders and compete with each others, in races that hardly offered any assistance, let alone a medal or a shirt. You were among the first of our crazy breed, George. You, and some of the elite with you, paved the way for the rest of us! :-)

SusanRachel

George is always my hero.  Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George is always my hero.  Smile

High praise from one of the few I look up to.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SheCan

Ya, I was gonna say that George is just as famous to me as Amby is. 

For sure!   I've always thought we were quite lucky to have someone  of Geroge's caliber and experience among us.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson