Beginners and Beyond

New stuff (Read 105 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

Come June 7 I shall be the owner of a Camelbak Marathoner vest.  Needed a way to have plenty of water to battle the heat this summer.

Running for TJ because he can't.

LRB

Good for you.  Any idea what the weight is on one of those full is?  I can hear them bouncing on the backs of people that I run next to sometimes.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Empty weight is 13 ounces.  Holds 2 liters.  Should be <5 pounds full.

LRB

That's not too bad, especially for the heat you run in.  I have a store near my loop and I stop there all crusted and busted for a drink.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I have a Nathan hydration pack and LOVE it. One tip: after you've filled the bladder and closed it, turn it upside down and suck all the air out. It makes it less sloshy.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Can you freeze it?

Docket_Rocket

Nice.

Come June 7 I shall be the owner of a Camelbak Marathoner vest.  Needed a way to have plenty of water to battle the heat this summer.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Can you freeze it?

With my Camelbak, I put a little bit of water in the bladder, close it up, blow into the hose to inflate it, and lay it on it's back in the freezer.  That way you'll get a thin layer of ice all the way up the length of the bladder, but it will not freeze up the hose or the opening since inflating it holds those away from the water.

You can also toss ice cubes in there, but that's sloshier.  Though, over the years I have gotten used to the sloshing, it's really not that annoying.

Freezing the whole bladder full of water is tough because if ice chunks get in the hose, you won't be able to get water out until they melt.

When you freeze it, the plastic hose gets pretty stiff, but that's just the polymer getting cold (google "glass transition temperature" if you're feeling nerdy :P) and it will fix itself in a few minutes out of the freezer.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

LRB

When you freeze it, the plastic hose gets pretty stiff, but that's just the polymer getting cold (google "glass transition temperature" if you're feeling nerdy :P) and it will fix itself in a few minutes out of the freezer.

You impress me!

Bin Running

Robert, I need to check this item out.. thanks

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Robert31320

Team TJ

First run wearing the pack was successful.  No bouncing or sloshing.  Thanks April for the tip on removing the air.  I only filled it half way to get use to wearing it.  I think I'm going to adjust the shoulder straps slightly before I run with it again.  So fear, so good.