Beginners and Beyond

Training for a HM on the TM? (Read 78 times)

Here's a question for the treadmillers. I realize you can use the incline feature to simulate hills. But I have also heard people say to automatically set a 1% incline to better simulate road running (or something, I don't remember the reasoning). Is that accurate?

Dave

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Here's a question for the treadmillers. I realize you can use the incline feature to simulate hills. But I have also heard people say to automatically set a 1% incline to better simulate road running (or something, I don't remember the reasoning). Is that accurate?

I only set an incline when simulating hills - otherwise I leave it flat.

I have a large fan beside my TM to help keep me cool so that gives me a bit of wind resistance.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I just do 0.1%, just so it's not dead flat.

I have ran the last 5 months on a TM in preparation for a HM. In that time I cut a minute and a half off of my 5k time (down to just below 25min).

- Andrew

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I personally do this, but more because 0% inclines feels a little "too" flat.  As for it better simulating road running, I've heard arguments both for and against it.

Rubybaby43

enabler

No, I was talking about Don S, whose RA log I linked at the bottom of my post. Follow the link & check it out.

Oh yeah...haha!  That I do know.  We be friends. Wink

Daisy - my TM is not so fancy that it tells me the grade of incline.  haha!!  But it's a far better TM than the one we had before it.  We would have to get off of our last TM to rotate the legs if we wanted to run on an incline.  That is BAD!!

I avoid that thing like the plague.  Having said that, you will most likely set PR's across the board just to spite me!  Joking

Aww...I wouldn't do it just to spite you, Rick!

From an article by Matt Fitzgerald on treadmill training:

Even some elite runners embrace their treadmills. Both the male and female winners of the 2000 US Olympic Trials Marathons, Rod DeHaven and Christine Clark, were heavy treadmill users. In fact, Clark, an Alaskan, did almost all of her training on a treadmill in her basement in preparation for the Olympic Trials.

Kristy, I'd say you were in good company.

Interersting...I did not know that!  Now, if only I could run like an Olympian! Big grin

I run on a TM for about 6 months every year and typically log 1000-1500 KM of training during that time.  I've run many HM's and haven't noticed any difference in race performance whether I trained for them on a TM or outside.

On a TM I can do strides, fartlek, tempo runs, intervals, and hills just like I would if I was training outside so I can train just as effectively on the TM.  The only thing I've noticed is that if I've trained on the TM and the race course is on pavement, I will feel it a bit in my legs but it's nothing that I can't easily handle.

One thing that's good to know is how accurate the reported speed on your TM is so that you can adjust your training paces accordingly.  If you do that then there shouldn't be any surprises when you transition from the TM to running outside.

I do love, well "love" running farleks and intervals on the TM.  I actually prefer intervals on the TM.  That's not to say I will run on the TM when I can run outside.  But what you've said is encouraging...thanks!  And yes, the speed of my TM is pretty dang dead on!!

As for setting the TM to a slight incline to simulate running on the road...I don't usually bother - mostly because I don't run fast enough to create any "wind resistance".  haha!  But seriously, I don't usually bother.

Thanks for all the input, gang!

KLO

more miles = more beer

Rubybaby43

enabler

I just do 0.1%, just so it's not dead flat.

I have ran the last 5 months on a TM in preparation for a HM. In that time I cut a minute and a half off of my 5k time (down to just below 25min).

Oooh...that's awesome!  I do not have a 5K on schedule until mid-June.  I have no intentions of continuing my training on the TM now that it's "spring" (haha...really, it isn't spring here).  But I just might run some of my interval training on it because I do feel like it has helped me improve when I do.  I like the "controlled" conditions on the TM (ie, lack of hills).  I'll work on hills with all my other training runs.

KLO

more miles = more beer

LRB

I did it for about a week and starting feeling some funkiness in my right ankle so I went and stayed flat.

Rubybaby43

enabler

I did it for about a week and starting feeling some funkiness in my right ankle so I went and stayed flat.

I have to say that I had the same issue.  Running on a TM is already completely different than running on the road.  The hills on a TM just don't make me run the same way as when I run uphill outside.  I'm just grateful that I can get my miles in with the use of a TM.  I wouldn't have been able to run anything but weekends if I didn't have access to my TM.  (It's a love/hate relationship we have, the TM and I)

KLO

more miles = more beer

MrNamtor

yeah the treadmill *simulates* running, but doesn't match it exactly.

For one thing, people with long strides will have problems on the treadmill because basically the only way to increase your speed on the tm is to increase your turnover, and the treadmill favors runners with relatively short strides and high turnover. So like the aftricans wouldn't do well on treadmills.

But if your stride is short and your turnover is high, which is how many really successful long distance runners run, then the treadmill works for you, and in fact it's slightly easier to run on the tm than on the ground because the tm "helps" you by pulling your foot back. That's the reason, I think, for the 1.5 incline -  to compensate for that fact.

I also think, though, that any "help" the tm gives you, and by implication any "reduction" in the level of training is offset by the way the tm can keep you on pace without letting you cheat, and help you focus on your running because of lack of the distractions and hazards offered up by training on the road.

In terms of overall fitness, I always felt like running outdoors, particularly trail running or running on uneven surfaces, is much better for your core than tm running because anytime you need to adjust your body on an uneven surface, you're doing really great stuff for all your core muscles and structures.

On the other hand, running on uneven surfaces or even flat roads opens you to more incidents of injury than the tm, so you lose fitness having to heal your minor injuries more frequently.

MrNamtor

it's probably not necessary to do the incline and even bad for you to run on it. I used to walk the max incline for 45 minutes when i would train for some mountain hikes 4-5 years ago, though looking back on even that I would have been better off running in those days.