Beginners and Beyond

Final countdown FriDAILIES (Read 43 times)

oldfartrunner

I was planning on leaving work at 4 to get a trail run in before it gets dark.  Some dork scheduled a meeting at 4:30.  Screw it.... I'm going to conference in on the run.  ...and let them guess what they're hearing.

Runshortii

Docket are you applying for Chicago for next year?

oldfartrunner

OMG, this entire exchange wins the internet today.

+1

oldfartrunner

In the 50k I ran in June, I placed 9th, about 1 minute behind 8th. I had just passed him about 2 miles from the finish when my calf cramped bad and I had to stop. He passed me and I could not run well after that. Before that I had run for a while with 7th, but about 4 miles out, he was stronger than me and I had to let him go. He finished 2-3 minutes before me. My last stretch was horrible.

Registration has opened for next year, and there's a friendly challenge between the three of us. I say there's no way I will finish last of the three again, and of course 7th thinks he can still finish ahead of us, and 8th is up for the challenge. The only problem with all this fun stuff is that I'd need to race a 50K. Spots are limited to 60, so I need to decide soon.

The gauntlet is thrown down! Got to sign up!

onemile

I ran 5

LRB

At $17 for a pack of six, I don't know if they are considered cheap or not, but I wear the no show Champion Duo Dry socks from target. They are super duper thin yet I run in them year round. I also wear them as my every day socks until the temps drop into the teens.

I have about two dozen pairs of other various "running" socks in a box somewhere totaling around a million dollars and they all are for shit. Balega, anatomically correct, wool, name brand, wig-wam, tic tac flipping toe and several others which were either too thick, awkward or just uncomfortable.

So for me, when it comes to socks, spending more money did not yield the best product.

Docket_Rocket

Pilates and the other 3 miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Just ordered a Cinnnamon Roll Imperial Ale, from Southern Tier Brewing. OMG, it actually smells like a cinnamon roll. It's really good.

Dave

No more marathons

Got my obligatory run while out of town in this morning.

Cold and windy, but it' Boston, ya know?

A brisk but short run around Boston Common.  Haven't been here since spring of '15

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Coastal

Good luck, Jay, Onemile, and Breadnatty!

LM:  I think it was cortisone.  They were trying to calm things down and ended up doing a nerve block of sorts.  Said it might cause some temporary numbness so make sure I had a driver.  Ummm, yeah.  Numb was an understatement.  Have you tried trigger points with a lacrosse ball?  Lay on your back with the ball under your rear in the piriformis area.  Move it to where it hurts and very gradually sink into it until it releases.  PT that taught me that insisted on a lacrosse ball and not a tennis ball.  She was right.

On the subject of socks from earlier in the thread, during the summers I usually run in cheap Adidas running socks from Costco but the last batch sucked.  I like my Balega's and they are great in most shoes, but for some reason they are allergic to my Hoka's.  Get blisters.  I got a few runs in some Darned Tough socks this fall that Bread and LM recommended and liked them a lot.  Once I get back out in the winter rains I'll go with Wright Socks though.  They work better in those conditions and I've been using the same ones for about five or six years.  I have some bloody foot pictures around somewhere though.    No sock is perfect.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Good luck, Jay, Onemile, and Breadnatty!

+1 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

OMG, this entire exchange wins the internet today.

LOL!

LM - It's not over until... well, it never got started...

Dialed into the conference call on the trail.  All fired up, mad as hell, gung-ho and ready unleash all sorts of passive-aggressiveness.  Had it all lined up in my head too....

"There's a lot of wind noise on the line. If someone is outside, would you please go on mute?"

Trampling through leaves and branches... "There's a lot of rustling on the line.  Whoever's making that noise, can you please go on mute?"

And my all-time favorite conference call mute request.  I go all fartlek on them... "Will the heavy breather please go on mute?"

But when I dialed in the moderator said the meeting was postponed.  Blue ballz!  My corporate conference call moment of glory was gone.  Damn that hurt.  ....but I did run 6.

Cyberic - Don't give this crazy ass any new ideas.  I'm already BFF's with HR 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours