Beginners and Beyond

Do you like where you live in regards to running? (Read 168 times)

I'm about .7 miles from a bike bath, or 2.5ish if I take the long way. The only problem with the bike path is that I hate out and back courses.

How long is the bike path?

My town is small and there is one trail down by the river. It's fun, but short (.75 miles).

The roads are pretty decent and I run in the mornings when there isn't much traffic. Most of the people are friendly and wave. The cars get way over out of the way. On long runs, there is a road that has one house on it, so there is no traffic there.

The weather can be brutal in the summer. Hot and humid isn't fun. It is runnable 12 months a year though.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Rondog65

I love where I live and find it very run friendly.  I live in a large pan handle cul-de-sac that a lot of people use for walking and some runners.  If I take the long route I get to the bike path in 2 miles.  The bike path goes in couple of directions and I can vary my route.  Have cranberry bogs to run around and ponds that I pass along the way.  Have seen all sorts of wildlife from deer to coyotes to hawks and a bald eagle once.  A short drive away I can run along the ocean or the bay.  Life is good.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Sloooow.

There used to be an Antebellum home open to the public for walker and runners, about 2 miles from here. I drove there once to run. The running pavement was so cracked and broken down, my ankles were crippled and I couldn't run for two days, lol. New Orleans would give me more places to run, but still the same horrible weather most of the year.

If I turn right from my house, there is 6 miles to the other highway, rather than the 1.2 when I turn left. Most of it is gravel road, but I'm terrified to run that way.

Trail Monster

This topic inspired a blog post. Here's an excerpt of what I wrote about western PA:

How many places can you run for tens of miles and catch glimpses like this the entire way?

Where else can I appreciate the destructive beauty of an acid mine drainage waterfall?

I eagerly anticipate the day I catch a glimpse of the beavers who built this dam.

I can run 10 miles and treat myself to an icy treat and then run back, all without touching a road.

And as Independence Day approaches I am reminded just how much history lies in these lands. In this ancient, forgotten cemetery lies soldiers of both the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Alongside them lay the family members who suffered through food shortages, loss of their men, disease, and war.

Some monuments remain tall while others are broken or missing completely.

Margaret E. aged 1 year, 1 month, and 10 days.

List of the soldiers from both wars interred here.

Yes, it's true. Pennsylvania is a beautiful place to live and run. It doesn't change my desire to explore far off places but it does remind me just how lucky I am to have all of this just outside my back door.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Three things I like:

1.  Seasons.  I would hate living somewhere that did not have seasons.  Winter here is far too long, but there is something to be said for winter running.  I get to experience all things.

2.  Have a beautiful park system called the "Emerald Necklace" with miles and miles of trails.  It's a real jewel.  We also have the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

3.  Variety.  I can go right outside my house and easily run a pancake flat course, or a very hilly course.

Three things I don't like:

1.  Drivers.  People in Cleveland have this entitlement, I own the road because I am in my car mentality.  Oh and apparently right on red and stop signs just mean "yield."  Of course, it does not help when some old hag kills a kid, then knowingly tries to hide the evidence that she hit him, and one of our wonderful county judges lets her off without a single day in jail.  Kill a pedestrian?  Meh.  It's a fine.  Mail it in.  :P

2.  Snow.  It's not pretty when you get 60" or more in a year and you have no where to run outside for weeks on end because all of the sidewalks are blocked and there are no shoulders on the road.  This is my least favorite aspect of where I live.  (It could be improved simply by cities enforcing their ordinances on prompt removal of snow from the sidewalks.  But again, we don't like pedestrians very much here.)

3.  Darkness.  I am a morning runner and we're on the very western edge of the eastern time zone.  In the fall/winter it is dark here until 8 AM.

catwhoorg

Labrat

There are times the heat hills and humdity get to you in the summer here.

Then autumn comes and you feel (and actually are) blazing fast from all the suffering.

I really like the Autumn through to the Spring running here. The summer sucks ass.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mmmmm...beer

I love where I live for running (and for other reasons too, like the beach!).  Hampton Roads has a pretty active community, and it shows in the parks and trails.  I have my choice of lots of trails, and isolated paved paths/roads to run on.  Most of my runs are just from my house tho, for convenience, but my neighborhood is connected to three other neighborhoods, so I can run 12 miles without looping the same road twice.  They also just built a new park that is connected to the middle neighborhood that has a 1 mile path, so I can run there from my house (2 miles if I take the most direct route, but I can make it longer if I want) and then do some loops and head home, makes for a nice run.

Also, the race schedule here is crazy, you can race every weekend if you want to, year round.  Most weekends there are multiple races to choose from.

Plus, it's pretty decent weather wise, winters are fairly mild, only ran in snow twice last winter.  Summers get warm and humid, but not completely unbearable.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

How long is the bike path?

My town is small and there is one trail down by the river. It's fun, but short (.75 miles).

The roads are pretty decent and I run in the mornings when there isn't much traffic. Most of the people are friendly and wave. The cars get way over out of the way. On long runs, there is a road that has one house on it, so there is no traffic there.

The weather can be brutal in the summer. Hot and humid isn't fun. It is runnable 12 months a year though.

It might be 10-11 miles, maybe a little more. But that's if you start on one side and run to the other.

In transit, arriving on time. 

sheepla

I love where I live for running. Not so much my little town of 600 people which is sort of landlocked with interstate, major highway and river.   So I usually drive a short distance to run. The Charlotte area is very runner friendly, with lots of greenways, good trail running and many, many running friendly neighborhoods (I run at 5 am and it is not unusual to pass at least 20 other runners at that time).  There are races to choose from every weekend and I'm surprised when a race has less than 1000 people in it.  Weather is an issue as the dew point in the summer is always in the 70s, but I've gotten used to it. Oh, and lots and lots of hills, which I actually enjoy.

#artbydmcbride

LMB_LightHouse_WebBanner

Runners run

It might be 10-11 miles, maybe a little more. But that's if you start on one side and run to the other.

That's pretty good. If I want to go that far, I have to cross two big roads and run on country roads where I see some cows and that's it. But at least it's flat.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

I live and work in Brighton (a neighborhood in Boston), MA. I enjoy being able to run on parts of the Boston Marathon route, when I want to. Newton, Brookline, Boston. It's right there. It's fairly runner-friendly. I also run on the North Shore, where my parents live. I have access to the beaches in Lynn, Swampscott, Nahant, and Marblehead. Fall/winter runs, watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean are breathtaking.

Now, I need a way to run from work in Brighton to my parents'. Making my commute to visit them a long run would e my kind of multitasking.

RSX

I live and work in Brighton (a neighborhood in Boston), MA. I enjoy being able to run on parts of the Boston Marathon route, when I want to. Newton, Brookline, Boston. It's right there. It's fairly runner-friendly. I also run on the North Shore, where my parents live. I have access to the beaches in Lynn, Swampscott, Nahant, and Marblehead. Fall/winter runs, watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean are breathtaking.

Now, I need a way to run from work in Brighton to my parents'. Making my commute to visit them a long run would e my kind of multitasking.

We probably run some of the same roads. I'm thinking about doing BayState full, and the Ashland Half the week after.

I'm doing the Baystate full and the Fattman Chilly Cup HM three weeks later.

I'm still thinking of registering for a HM the day after Yom Kippur.

Will run for scenery.

I'm doing the Baystate full and the Fattman Chilly Cup HM three weeks later.

I'm still thinking of registering for a HM the day after Yom Kippur.

Basya, I don't know you too well, but the Fat Man Chili Cup doesn't sound like your kind of race!  I picture a bunch of tubby Texan dudes drinking beer !   Tell me I am mistaken.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!