Beginners and Beyond

Photos/Report: Run For The Bluebonnets 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 12th race of 2014.  About 240 participants in the 5K and there was also a Kids 1K.  Weather was pretty nice for the 9 a.m. start, sunny, clear skies, and about 50 degrees.  Held at Fisherman's Park in Bastrop, about a 90 minute drive from San Antonio and about 30 or so miles from Austin. Bastrop is a scenic little town along the Colorado River, and nearby state parks Bastrop and Buescher.  In 2011, the Bastrop area experienced the most destructive wildfire in Texas history,  and it really devastated much of the beautiful forest of Bastrop Park.  A run to help restore the park - Burning Pines 5K and 10K - was started a couple of years ago (I participated in its inaugural one) and the friendly and optimistic citizens of the area continue to rebuild.  No doubt in my mind these folks will make the park and their area even more beautiful than it was before.  As for the 5K, I managed to finish in 34:02 chip time.  Because it was a fairly small race my age division was 60 - 99, and the guy who won my age group was a 64 year old who finished in 21 minutes and something, sheesh!  Speedy old farts in my age group! 

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

Because I mis-read the start time as 8 a.m. instead of 9 a.m. - duhhh - I got up way early for the 90 minute drive to Bastrop and off I went.  However, since I had to leave while it was still dark, I enjoyed a nice sunrise along the drive.

Arrived in Bastrop, got my bib and race packet, and then got a few photos of Fisherman's Park area, which is along the Colorado River.

Participants, volunteers, etc., before the start

This race benefits the local Bastrop school and this is their mascot, the Bastrop Cardinal

These ladies are wearing the race shirt all participants got

Volunteers, like these folks, got a yellow shirt...I kinda like the yellow one better..more colorful!

AthleteGuild Folks, who did their usual great job of course set-up, timing, etc.

I jokingly told this lady I was going to let everyone know she beat me in the 5K while carrying her child along

One of the several 4-legged participants that were there

Kids 1K...they ran from the finish line banner, up a small hill, turned around and came back to where the Cardinal was waiting to cheer them all in.

Getting ready to go for the 5K...for some reason - I suppose to make the course distance correct - we lined up a bit farther down from the actual start/finish line banner.

On The Course

Very nice course, well laid out, and Bastrop has some nice wide flat streets so we could all spread out.  A loop course that gave us a scenic view of a very nice neighborhood near the park.

We had on small uphill/incline, the road into/out-of the park and we got that out of the way right at the beginning.

It was pretty much flat all the way after that, with a very slight downhill incline just before we got to the finish line.

Some of the local residents cheering us on

Two of the many great volunteers out there on the course for us

This was a speedy little lady...I'd stop to take photos, she'd catch up and pass me...I'd catch back up to her...she was right around me for most of the route

Some nice historic, old-type houses along the route

Heading for the finish now.

A left turn at the cones, then another left after that and we were then back in the park and heading to the finish line.  I caught up with a young lady who runs track for her school.  She also had been in the same proximity as me for pretty much the whole race, sometimes with me ahead, sometimes with her ahead, and we finished together.   We sped up when we saw the finish line and passed about 3 people on our way there.

AFTER THE RACE

Me and the young lady who kept me company to the finish line.  We had a nice chat running together on the course.  Very nice young lady who personifies the friendliness of the folks who live in the Bastrop area.

She and friends

More "Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, etc.   For the participants I call them "Happy Finishers" because more people seem to be smiling AFTER the race is done than before or during.    Sorry about the 'cloudy look' on some of the photos...I keep forgetting I'm a fat guy and sweat a lot so should wipe my lens before taking a photo.

EPILOG

There were also some pretty nice door prizes too - including a stay at the nearby Hyatt resort - but I didn't win any, darn the luck.  In spite of my bad luck with drawings, I still enjoyed myself thoroughly.  Very nice community event with lots of good folks there, a very nice course, scenic river park, beautiful weather for February - although no bluebonnets in sight yet.   Definitely one to do if you are ever in this area around this time of year.  Although, with the long drive, I think next time I may go up the night before and sleep in a little more before the start.

And if you are in the San Antonio Austin Corridor area don't forget to check-out www.centexruns.com - this is a race calender founded by Steve Benesh and maintained by me and him as a community service to our fellow runners;  on this site you can find races in the Austin-San Antonio Corridor and surrounding area.  We do all the work for you in finding the races and try to make this a "one-stop shop" for you, listing the races; direct link to the race registration sites; and a 'directions to the race" link too.  Enjoy!

Next up for me:  Diploma Dash 5K on March 1st at University of Texas at San Antonio.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like a great day for a race. Quite a variety of home styles for a small town.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

That looks like a really nice race - pretty and not too many hills.  Thanks for the RR.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I am adding a "Scotty Race" to my bucket list.

happylily

Congratulations, Scotty! I loved seeing the beautiful homes there!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

What a pretty area for a race!  That is a lovely town.  Congratulations on race 12 of the year!  Can't believe that 64 year old winner (you sure he didn't cheat?  j/k, but man that's fast!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Congrats, Scotty!   February seems mighty early for a bluebonnet run, but it looked pretty even without the flowers.   Love all the historic homes! Thanks for sharing another great race with us!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

LRB

This is one of the coolest pictures ever.