Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #156 (Read 31 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Yeah I'm not doing that either. #grumpyoldschoolguy

Eh, I'm not doing anything different than what I'd be doing anyway, IDGAF what it's called

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Runshortii

I ran 8. It was hot. Finally done with the work week from hell

Docket_Rocket

Based on our last conversation about returning to work, I don't even know if I'll get to go to the office in August.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Happy Anniversary DavePNW!

I'm surprised their considering moving the goal deadline to July. My thoughts on it is that sandbagging & goal appropriateness has never been clearly defined. And I don't think you can come up with a 1 size fits all definition because of the wide range of goals. I know even with my meager goal, there is absolutely no way I could maintain running at 200% for more than 2 weeks. BTDT, not worth it.

Docket_Rocket

You could if, let's say, you had a surgery or injury so you thought you could run X, and were recovered by March but you didn't expect to have all this Covid shit and no races to taper from and now can run Y.  Whenever I've had surgery, I normally run 1800 for that year, which is 700 less than on my good years, just to give an example (not necessarily of 200% but you get my point).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

This guy was in my yard. Snake!! Oh wait, it kinda sorta has legs 

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Half Crazy K 2.0

You could if, let's say, you had a surgery or injury so you thought you could run X, and were recovered by March but you didn't expect to have all this Covid shit and no races to taper from and now can run Y.

Actually, that scenario makes things even harder, speaking from experience. I thought 1450 was a reasonable goal. January, ok. February, HAHAHAHA. March, still LOL and still on IR. Once April hit and everything cancelled, I was kind of done with IR. But I also wasn't at 28 mpw and didn't know how quickly I'd get back to there. Plus, every slight grumble of a tendon had me thinking I was getting the worst case side effects from the antibiotics. So I dropped my goal to 1250. I'm still behind that goal, but have been around the orginal 28 mpw. If there was a fall half (doubtful), I'll have to go over 30 mpw. Basically, if you have something come up early in the year, you're options are basically stay on IR indefinitely because you don't want to waste your one goal change or change your goal to participate.

Happy Anniversary DavePNW!

I'm surprised their considering moving the goal deadline to July. My thoughts on it is that sandbagging & goal appropriateness has never been clearly defined. And I don't think you can come up with a 1 size fits all definition because of the wide range of goals. I know even with my meager goal, there is absolutely no way I could maintain running at 200% for more than 2 weeks. BTDT, not worth it.

I don’t know that they are, all there is is someone on the forum requesting it. Meg is on my team and I asked in our user group. She hadn’t seen those posts and they haven’t talked about it. 

Even with all my extra miles, the only time I hit 200% was my 100 week.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I don’t know that they are, all there is is someone on the forum requesting it. Meg is on my team and I asked in our user group. She hadn’t seen those posts and they haven’t talked about it. 

Even with all my extra miles, the only time I hit 200% was my 100 week.

That's why I think there needs to be some sort of % or mileage based number to consider if goals are appropriate. The higher your weekly goal, the less likely it is that you will go hit 200%. If someone with a 50 mpw goal runs an extra 20 mpw (not all that uncommon this year), they would "only" be at 140%. But an extra 20 miles will help any team. Contrast that to someone with a goal of 10 mpw. At 200%, they add an extra 10 miles. When I look at the highest miles over goal, it's a lot of people with goals over 2000. It's not 500 mile/year folks running extra.

There was a response that the goal change deadline would be considered if people can make a good argument.

bluerun

Super B****

On a scale of 1-10, how idiotic would it be to do this for my LR this weekend?

1. Warm up for 10–20 minutes + strides 
                      2. 400–800 meters at 10k race-pace effort 
                      3. 1 mile at marathon-pace effort
                      4. Repeat steps 2-3 without a break until you complete the predetermined distance (3–12 miles depending on goals and fitness) 
                      5. Cool down for 15–20 minutes

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

There was a response that the goal change deadline would be considered if people can make a good argument.

No idea what would constitute a good argument for this. 

Dave

sdWhiskers

4. Repeat steps 2-3 without a break until you complete the predetermined distance (3–12 miles depending on goals and fitness) 

Coach has given me cruise intervals in LRs, where for 7-8 miles alternating between 1 mile at MP, 1 mile at a little faster than HMP but not quite 10k (plus WU and CD miles).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My son is dealing with an awful case of poison ivy, or oak or sumac. He woke up this morning itching and scratching and very upset.

Hopefully I can run tonight.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

it would depend entirely on if you were doing 3 miles of it or 12 miles of it..or somewhere in between

it would depend entirely on if you were doing 3 miles of it or 12 miles of it..or somewhere in between

Indeed. Though that workout seems so foreign to me, I have no clue how long I could keep it up.

Dave